Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing a denomination, church, and pastor

Choosing a denomination, church, and pastor

My relationship with Christ is very young, although the seeds were planted some time ago by some absolutely lovely followers. I want to surround myself with other beleivers but it is also important to me that they are following the word of God. I have not read the Scripture in full so I do not know how He has commanded us to worship. I do fully believe salvation comes through a relationship with Jesus and the belief He is the son of God. I believe a church is a place to assemble with fellow believers to worship and to help each other live as we have been commanded by Scripture. And because of this, I seek a church that is very active in their missions so I will have great opportunity to work alongside great people doing what we understand to be right. So I ask for help in this journey, to make sure I surround myself with mentors who will help lead me on the right path. If anyone is particularly knowledgeable on the area and could further give me information on churches or people to talk to in my area, I live near LA Crosse WI.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

No one denomination has a lock on any of that. They all have local churches that are active in the community, and local churches that aren't.

Go to the local soup kitchen, and ask the volunteers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I know in general every situation is different, but I'd try to find a PCA, OPC, RPCNA, RPCUS, or WPCUS if you can (there are probably other good ones, but those are the five that come to mind.) Make sure your pastor isn't a federal visionist (especially in the PCA) but otherwise you will probably be OK in most cases. I can't guarantee that, mind you. But its a good bet, IMO.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    No one denomination has a lock on any of that. They all have local churches that are active in the community, and local churches that aren't.

Go to the local soup kitchen, and ask the volunteers.
    Don't listen to this^. Find a church that preaches the gospel of sovereign grace.

FWIW, I think I like the Unitarians best, of the various alternatives.

Unitarians

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...26.ttQGZYp3Vt0

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    FWIW, I think I like the Unitarians best, of the various alternatives.

Unitarians

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...26.ttQGZYp3Vt0
    Do they believe in aliens too?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    Don't listen to this^. Find a church that preaches the gospel of sovereign grace.
    Agree
    Last edited by Eagles' Wings; 09-29-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Don't listen to this, either^.

Or better yet, listen to both of us, because both elements are obviously important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Ask if they are 501-3(c) corporation.

Then ask them about Romans 13.

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Ask if they are 501-3(c) corporation.

Then ask them about Romans 13.
    http://www.mercyseat.net/our-church.html

Interesting pastor and statement of faith. They are not 501c3 and do not file marriage licenses with the state.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    My relationship with Christ is very young, although the seeds were planted some time ago by some absolutely lovely followers. I want to surround myself with other beleivers but it is also important to me that they are following the word of God. I have not read the Scripture in full so I do not know how He has commanded us to worship. I do fully believe salvation comes through a relationship with Jesus and the belief He is the son of God. I believe a church is a place to assemble with fellow believers to worship and to help each other live as we have been commanded by Scripture. And because of this, I seek a church that is very active in their missions so I will have great opportunity to work alongside great people doing what we understand to be right. So I ask for help in this journey, to make sure I surround myself with mentors who will help lead me on the right path. If anyone is particularly knowledgeable on the area and could further give me information on churches or people to talk to in my area, I live near LA Crosse WI.
    There are 5 W.E.L.S. churches in the immediate La Crosse area (have to input the zip code):

http://wels.locatorsearch.com/searchresults.aspx

I would encourage all to seek out the adult bible classes to really get feel for the Law/Gospel content of any church.

Test those spirits to see if they're actually from God and proceed accordingly -or get the heck out of there.
    This W.E.L.S. affiliate is well aware of sinners operating churches in a sinful world and what can sometimes happen. Remember the New Testament and all the letters of concern to those many churches? Yes, nothing new under the sun -no church is immune to problems.

Got God's Word? The rest will follow. YOU can be a one-man mission (through God's grace) if you are prepared to witness to your fellow man when you are helping him with his physical needs. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't organize with others to help your fellow man, it's just that I've seen a few examples over the years (friends in other synods/or no affiliation) where folks meaning to do well have really complicated things unnecessarily, and then get more discouraged that their plans didn't come to fruition. These were people who's faith was not so mature.

I've also made a few of those same mistakes myself to some extent over the years -so I can talk. K.I.S.S., be prepared to answer, and it is God's timing -is what I have to keep reminding myself.

This isn't meant to discourage you from what you mentioned wanting to do, just a heads up and some encouragement because God WILL use you how He sees fit to use you.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Eagles' Wings

How is a WELS different from LCMS?

Seem to be doctrinally the same, based on the Book of Concord.
    Last edited by Eagles' Wings; 09-28-2015 at 01:40 PM.

I live near LA Crosse WI.
    I do not know the area, but certainly your location is apropos for the topic.

My recommendation would be to visit several in the area. If you're not bent on any one denomination visit different ones to see what you think. Pray and ask for discernment; God will provide the honest seeker with guidance.

There are great longstanding denominations out there, as well as independents and non-denominational that are solid in the word. These days, a good google search can also turn up some vibrant, community impacting places.

Have no fear about shopping around to find the body of believers (my definition of what the church truly is) that you can grow with in the faith.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    How is a WELS different from LCMS?

They seem to fuss about ecclesial practices, but I don't know what they are. Seem to be doctrinally the same, based on the Book of Concord.
    Wisconsin Synod is stricter on who they let take communion from what I recall. I remember last year I attended an LCMS and they let me take communion (although someone who was a bare memorialist on communion rather than a Calvinist like I am technically wouldn't have been able to partake, they didn't really enforce it though), and they don't always allow it but sometimes they do. Its never allowed in the Wisconsin Synod for non-Lutherans to commune with them.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Definitely agree with Sola's advice. And while most Presbyterian churches do preach the true gospel of sovereign grace (unless infected with FV) if they aren't find whatever church you can that preaches that.

Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    Wisconsin Synod is stricter on who they let take communion from what I recall. I remember last year I attended an LCMS and they let me take communion (although someone who was a bare memorialist on communion rather than a Calvinist like I am technically wouldn't have been able to partake, they didn't really enforce it though), and they don't always allow it but sometimes they do. Its never allowed in the Wisconsin Synod for non-Lutherans to commune with them.
    The pastor of the LCMS church we are visiting does not allow Communion to a non-member. So it seems that some LCMS are being liberal with a sacrament they hold so dear. Unfortunate.

The pastor of the LCMS church we are visiting does not allow Communion to a non-member. So it seems that some LCMS are being liberal with a sacrament they hold so dear. Unfortunate.
    I disagree with you on this. While communion should certainly not be allowed to non-Christians, I don't see why visitors to the church who are Christians should be denied communion.

Eagles' Wings

I disagree with you on this. While communion should certainly not be allowed to non-Christians, I don't see why visitors to the church who are Christians should be denied communion.
    Because our definitions of the Body and Blood are not the same. I believe we receive Christ, spiritually, not carnally so, I would never take Communion in a Lutheran or Catholic church. I also believe that it is important to Commune where you are attending.

Because our definitions of the Body and Blood are not the same. I believe we receive Christ, spiritually, not carnally so, I would never take Communion in a Lutheran or Catholic church. I also believe that it is important to Commune where you are attending.
    Catholicism is different because their view is damnable, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a Presby taking communion in a Lutheran church when present or vice versa. I don't think the differences of how we receive (while important) mean that we should excommunicate each other.

Eagles' Wings

Catholicism is different because their view is damnable, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a Presby taking communion in a Lutheran church when present or vice versa. I don't think the differences of how we receive (while important) mean that we should excommunicate each other.
    This is much more about one's personal belief about the Eucharist and the Lord's Supper. I will not commune with a church who teaches that the bread and wine become the physical body and blood of Christ. For me, it would be unconscionable. I believe wholeheartedly in fencing the Communion table.

Just a copy and paste:

http://wels.net/faq/close-communion-and-membership/
    Close(d) Communion is the historic and biblical practice of the Christian Church. The practice has the purposes of ensuring that, as far as humanly possible, those receiving the Sacrament do so to their benefit and not their harm (1 Corinthians 11:27-30), and that the oneness that is expressed in receiving the Sacrament is genuine and not contrived (1 Corinthians 10:17).

Reception of Holy Communion is an expression of unity and fellowship with others who receive it. How do we know that those who receive the Sacrament are united in the faith with one another? We certainly cannot look into their hearts, but we can hear their common confession of faith. That is where church membership enters the picture. We see church membership as a way in which Christians acknowledge Jesus before others (Matthew 10:32) and publicly indicate their unity in faith and doctrine with fellow believers.

Does this practice “guarantee” that every person, without exception, “is truly partaking in Communion in the manner Christ intended?” No. That is not our assertion. We cannot control the attitudes of others’ hearts. What we can do is see to it that, as far as humanly possible, those receiving the Sacrament in our churches will be partaking in Communion in the manner Christ intended, and will be providing a genuine picture of unity.

On the last day Jesus will acknowledge his followers’ fruits of faith (Matthew 25:31-40). Faithfulness to the Lord’s word describes what fruits of faith are all about. If you have not had any face-to-face conversations with a WELS pastor about this subject matter, I would encourage you to do that. Christian fellowship is a wonderful blessing (Psalm 133:1).
    I've had some born again Christian friends give me grief about close communion AND for baptizing children (babies) -those who can't confess their faith. The easiest way I could explain it was:

Messing up communion gets you some damnation, messing up baptism doesn't.

He struggles with this, with his communion argument being: "but I'm a Christian with faith, this sounds like religion"

And his baptism argument being: "If you baptize those who cannot confess their faith, it is nothing more than a dedication"

We confirm in our synod. Our younglings confess their faith at confirmation.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 09-28-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Eagles' Wings

As a Protestant Reformer, I believe that the grace of God given at the Lord's Table, is only granted to the believer. Simplifies it for me.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Eagles' Wings

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Just a copy and paste:

I've had some born again Christian friends give me grief about close communion AND for baptizing children (babies) -those who can't confess their faith. The easiest way I could explain it was:

He struggles with this, with his communion argument being: "but I'm a Christian with faith, this sounds like religion"

And his baptism argument being: "If you baptize those who cannot confess their faith, it is nothing more than a dedication"

Thanks for posting this. Informative.

This is much more about one's personal belief about the Eucharist and the Lord's Supper. I will not commune with a church who teaches that the bread and wine become the physical body and blood of Christ. For me, it would be unconscionable. I believe wholeheartedly in fencing the Communion table.
    I disagree on this but OK.

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Just a copy and paste:

I wouldn't argue against you in this way. I agree that infants should be baptized but that communion is for believers only. This isn't my disagreement.

I don't see any Biblical basis for excluding people based on differences in communion theology not damnable, however.

Eagles' Wings

I don't see any Biblical basis for excluding people based on differences in communion theology not damnable, however.
    Would you then examine the beliefs of each Communicant beforehand? Who would do this and when? Do you catch people at the door?

Thanks for posting this. Informative.
    You are most certainly welcome. I struggled with this myself at an earlier point in my life (close communion).

I've struggled with it all, and I'm still struggling -I'll struggle 'till I go home -but I will go home.
    Ron Paul

I'm going to abstain from telling you what particular church to attend, primarily because many of the suggested ones below would be appropriate for your current situation, but I would strongly recommend avoiding anything Unitarian or tied in with the Great American Cults (Mormonism, Jehova's Witness, 7th Day Adventists, Christian Science, et cetera). I attend a small Covenanter church that is probably closest to the RPCNA, which is one of the churches that Christian Liberty mentioned, and I'd probably lean towards most of his recommendations if I was in your position. The Magistrate Reformed Churches (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Dutch and German Reformed) would be the spectrum to go for if your goal is a church with a confessional system based in scripture.

I'll link to the Covenanter website, which lists our positions.

http://www.covenanter.org/
    Last edited by hells_unicorn; 09-28-2015 at 04:19 PM.

Do they believe in aliens too?
    Silly Sola_Fide post score +1.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast