Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: John Boehner is stepping down

BREAKING: John Boehner is stepping down

He will vacate his seat Oct 31

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just seeing this on TV. I think he is making a wise decision.

Cokie Roberts, "This is going to make things a lot harder for President Obama." George Stephanopolis concurred.

Good.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Awesome. Hopefully all the anti-Boehner conservatives recognize the credit Amash and Massie deserve for this.

Thank you Thomas Massie for being a constant voice against Boehner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/us/boehner-will-resign-from-congress.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Speaker John A. Boehner, under intense pressure from conservatives in his party, will resign one of the most powerful positions in government and give up his House seat at the end of October, throwing Congress into chaos it tries to avert a government shutdown.

Mr. Boehner made the announcement in an emotional meeting with his fellow Republicans Friday morning.

The Republican from Ohio had struggled from almost the moment he took the speaker’s gavel in 2011 to manage the challenges of divided government and the hold together his fractious and increasingly conservative Republican members.

Most recently, Mr. Boehner was trying to craft a solution to keep the government open through the rest of the year, but was under pressure from a growing base of conservatives who told him they would not vote for a bill that did not defund Planned Parenthood. Several of those members were on a path to remove Mr. Boehner though their ability to do so was far from certain.

Mr. Boehner’s surprise announcement came just a day after Pope Francis visited the Capitol, the fulfillment of a 20-year dream of Mr. Boehner of having a pontif address members of Congress. He had a private audience with Francis before the pope’s address to a joint meeting of Congress.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Thanks Thomas Massie!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Awesome. Hopefully all the anti-Boehner conservatives recognize the credit Amash and Massie deserve for this.
    For me, it was money "well spent" on those two. Thank you both.

confession is good for the soul
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

This is about 2 years too late to suit me. Boehner is good at quashing conservatives but we have the House and the Senate. It is a testament to his weakness that the Democrats are still controlling the agenda.

Well, that's some good news. Thank you Rand, Massie, Amash, Walter Jones and the many others for keeping the heat on.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    why his seat also?
    Time to reap the financial rewards of being a good lap-dog.

NOW LETS GET A LIBERTY LOVER IN THERE!!!

RETAKE OHIO FROM THE STATEISTS!!!
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    NOW LETS GET A LIBERTY LOVER IN THERE!!!

That's not possible. But it's still good to let whoever does replace him know that they can't take their power for granted.

Mr. Boehner made the announcement in an emotional meeting with his fellow Republicans Friday morning.
    Did he cry?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    This is about 2 years too late to suit me. Boehner is good at quashing conservatives but we have the House and the Senate. It is a testament to his weakness that the Democrats are still controlling the agenda.
    It is also a testament to the fact that many Republicans these days are progressive statists.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Is Kevin McCarthy next in line? Is anyone else throwing their hat in the ring?

Speaker John Boehner retiring from Congress at the end of October
    The House speaker’s sudden announcement comes amid a GOP rebellion.
    By Jake Sherman - 09/25/15

Embattled Speaker John Boehner, who rose from bartender's son to the most powerful man in Congress, will retire at the end of October, ending a tumultuous five-year tenure atop the House of Representatives.

Boehner, 65, planned to leave Congress at the end of 2014, one of his aides said Friday morning, but returned because of the unexpected defeat of Eric Cantor.

In the coming weeks, Boehner expected conservatives to try to strip him of his speakership — a vote he felt he could win, but one he and his allies thought would do serious harm to the institution.

"The Speaker believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution," the Boehner aide said. "He is proud of what this majority has accomplished, and his speakership, but for the good of the Republican Conference and the institution, he will resign the Speakership and his seat in Congress, effective October 30."

On Thursday evening as he left the Capitol, Boehner (R-Ohio) told two reporters — one from POLITICO and another from the Washington Post — that he had nothing left to accomplish after he brought Pope Francis to the Capitol. When asked if he was resigning, Boehner laughed before exiting into an awaiting SUV with his Capitol Police detail.
    Boehner's decision, relayed in a closed Republican meeting Friday morning, will indeed set off one of the most intense leadership scrambles in modern Congressional GOP politics. Second in line is House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who is widely expected to serve as the next speaker. But there is serious unrest in the House Republican ranks, as a small clutch of conservatives have continuously clashed with establishment Republicans. It takes 218 votes on the House floor to win the speakership, and many GOP insiders believe that McCarthy is the only person who could cobble together a coalition to win.

Should McCarthy win, it will set off an intense battle for majority leader. Boehner allies appear to be rallying around McCarthy for speaker already, providing him a hefty base for the internal House Republican Conference election, and a speaker vote on the House floor.

One man is already taking himself out of the contest. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said he will not run for any position.
    The posturing within GOP ranks has been going on for weeks. House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) has been laying the groundwork for that battle, but so has House Republican Conference Chairman Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.). Chief Deputy Whip Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) will be favored for House Republican whip.

There are wildcards, however. Rep. Peter Roskam (R-Ill.), who has recently gained favor with the conservative right, is expected to eye a slot.
    In another sign of the triumphant feeling among conservatives, the crowd at the Values Voter Summit broke into cheers when Sen. Marco Rubio announced that Boehner was stepping down.
    More: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...october-214056
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

So who's gonna be the next Speaker of the House Hacks? And does it really matter ... ?
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

probably has liver cancer...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    In the coming weeks, Boehner expected conservatives to try to strip him of his speakership — a vote he felt he could win, but one he and his allies thought would do serious harm to the institution.
    That's BS, he didn't have the Republican votes he needed. Massie talked about this in a couple interviews lately. Boehner's only option was making a deal with the Democrats. That would have destroyed the establishment GOP though.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
    confession is good for the soul
    Well, this visit by the Pope did result in some good! Boehner was sitting behind him crying yesterday. No doubt some of the Pope's message applied to Boehner selfishly clinging to power to serve his shadowy crony corportist masters.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Tom McClintock.
    Interesting, considering that McClintock recently parted ways with the liberty caucus over the battle to remove Boehner...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    That's BS, he didn't have the Republican votes he needed. Massie talked about this in a couple interviews lately. Boehner's only option was making a deal with the Democrats. That would have destroyed the establishment GOP though.
    And of course that's probably the real, main reason behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Interesting, considering that McClintock recently parted ways with the liberty caucus over the battle to remove Boehner...
    No, he parted ways with the Freedom Caucus, Jim Jordan's group. if you look it up on Wikipedia it doesn't appear Massie or Jones belong to it. They do belong to the Liberty Caucus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus#Known_members

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Caucus#Members
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Boehner was facing a no confidence challenge to his leadership from the 40+ members of the conservative Freedom Caucus, who’ve been increasingly frustrated at Boehner’s inability to block President Obama’s second-term agenda, everything from the Iran deal to making a dent in Obamacare. Such a vote would’ve forced Boehner into the arms of Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats in order to survive, a move Boehner was apparently unwilling to make. So, he resigned.
    Boehner’s exit will likely elevate Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who took over Cantor’s spot in 2014. It’s a meteoritic and unlikely rise for the former California deli owner who was only elected to Congress in 2006. “The right flank likes McCarthy,” says one senior House GOP aide. “He has done a lot of work to reach out to them and, fairly or unfairly, they feel he listens more to them than Boehner does.”
    http://time.com/4049977/john-boehner-resigns/

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    probably has liver cancer...
    Can't imagine that orange complexion is something good

good riddance, I'm sure whoever the new guy is he will be just as bad tho.

I am so glad to see that piece of $#@! gone! Nancy Pelosi used this to grand stand and take a nice poke at the dis-array of the Republicans.

However it was the devil we knew, now we shall see if it gets even worse or better.
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

So either some establishment stooge takes his place or Pelosi battles it out to try and win it again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast