Thread: Rand Paul Gets It Wrong on Pot (HuffPo Goes SoCon)

Rand Paul Gets It Wrong on Pot (HuffPo Goes SoCon)

During last week's Republican presidential debate, several candidates commented on marijuana use and drug policy. And recently, Obama-appointed Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor also commented on legalization.
    The GOP Candidates rightly expressed concern about the impact of arresting and imprisoning people solely for having or using small amounts of marijuana. Incarceration is not the solution for such cases, and often aggravates addictions. In fact, Senator Rand Paul's praise of drug courts and alternative approaches to law enforcement should be welcomed. SAM will soon be releasing a report card detailing the candidates' positions.

But the decision of Senator Paul to hold up Colorado's model of marijuana legalization as a solution is cause for concern. Colorado certainly is a model-but of failure, not success.

But one major leader did get it right -- Justice Sonia Sotomayor. In a discussion at Amherst College, she told students:
    "I don't care what kind of thing you become passionate about, just not legalizing marijuana."

But Senator Paul doesn't appear to be listening. Stopping the incarceration of marijuana users and eliminating racial and income-driven disparities in the treatment of drug offenders does not mean we must legalize another addictive and dangerous drug alongside alcohol and tobacco, as Colorado has done.

The Colorado "experiment" has already had an alarming impact on Coloradans' public safety and health. A recent report outlines legalization's impacts on that state since 2014, when retail marijuana businesses began operating, including:

Traffic deaths: A 32 percent increase in marijuana-related traffic deaths in just one year
    Marijuana use by children: Colorado youth usage (ages 12 to 17) ranks 56 percent higher than the national average
    Hospitalizations: A 38 percent increase in the number of marijuana-related hospitalizations
    More drug trafficking: The yearly average interdiction seizures of Colorado marijuana increased another 34 percent
    As such, marijuana use-and drug use in general-does not, as Senator Paul suggested, only impact the user. Just ask any family that has struggled with a loved one facing addiction.

The creation of another addictive industry in America-another Big Tobacco-is not the solution to imprisonment and racial/economic disparities in our country. The alcohol and tobacco industries have long looked at minorities and low-income individuals as profit centers, and the marijuana industry will be no different.

Reforming our criminal laws is important. But that does not mean legalization.

Presidential candidates should be more careful about conflating the two-and should advocate responsible solutions to incarceration and racial injustice. Coloradans are already realizing this: last month, poll results showed that popularity for marijuana legalization amongst Coloradans is losing support amid concerns of use by children, traffic problems, and the proliferation of edible marijuana.
    Disgusting. Mods, please keep this in the main Rand subforum as the supposed flack this article gives toward Rand is nothing but plus in the eyes of any liberty lover.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is a GIANT straw man! The writer assumes that Rand supports Colorado/legalization. He never said that! He supports the 10th Anendment and Colorado's right to legislate themselves on Marajuana. Rand got it right!

Quote Originally Posted by PCKY View Post
    This is a GIANT straw man! The writer assumes that Rand supports Colorado/legalization. He never said that! He supports the 10th Anendment and Colorado's right to legislate themselves on Marajuana. Rand got it right!
    Rand has said plenty of times that he supports legalization... Also, he was condemning Jeb Bush for voting against legalization as a private citizen since he has smoked pot before. Rand has insinuated that he himself has smoked pot, therefore.......

How is that socon?

Jan2017

So much cannabis tax revenue for Colorado - to pay for the crap Denver public school system and all, etc. -
    Colorado had a tax free day for recreational marijuana users on September 16.

That night Carly's scripted performance disingenuously implied her 35 year old "daughter" died of cannabis use -
    the reason these arguments always fail - it is always some lie.

Blaze away . . . now only if Colorado could just secede from the Washington machine totally . . .

Every left-wing news outlet has a token Neo-con or 2. The Washington Post has Jennifer Rubin, and The Huffington Post has Kevin Sabet, who is literally about as big of a bonehead as Rubin.

Quote Originally Posted by PCKY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonderdonk View Post
    Rand has said plenty of times that he supports legalization... Also, he was condemning Jeb Bush for voting against legalization as a private citizen since he has smoked pot before. Rand has insinuated that he himself has smoked pot, therefore.......
    https://news.vice.com/article/rand-p...ial-fundraiser

Rand Paul Holds First Ever Marijuana Presidential Fundraiser

By VICE News
    July 1, 2015 | 9:45 am

Marijuana industry bigwigs paid $2,700 to hear Rand Paul speak at the National Cannabis Industry Association's business summit in Denver on Tuesday. Paul is the first major presidential candidate to raise money from the marijuana industry.

"This is a historical moment, that our industry is now working together with a presidential candidate," Tripp Keber, owner of Denver-based Dixie Elixirs, which makes cannabis-infused sodas and sweets, told the AP at Tuesday's event. Roughly 40 people paid to see Paul speak behind closed doors, which would have brought in more than $100,000 for his campaign.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Lol this article is not defensible..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Hey, Democrats! Put your blinders on, quick! HuffPo is showing its true colors again. You don't want to see that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Hey, Democrats! Put your blinders on, quick! HuffPo is showing its true colors again. You don't want to see that!
    Apart from Bernie Sanders' people who may have some degree of principle on this issue, Sabet idiotic article here actually sounds like traditional Democrat thinking. Don't forget how Bill Clinton became the supposed "1st Black President" by passing a bill that keeps more black people in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by carlton View Post
    Disgusting. Mods, please keep this in the main Rand subforum as the supposed flack this article gives toward Rand is nothing but plus in the eyes of any liberty lover.
    That is one of the purposes of the "Flack" sub-forum. Most often they are ridiculous articles to be countered (or ridiculed).

Is there a link for the story itself?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The Colorado "experiment" has already had an alarming impact on Coloradans' public safety and health. A recent report outlines legalization's impacts on that state since 2014, when retail marijuana businesses began operating, including:

Traffic deaths: A 32 percent increase in marijuana-related traffic deaths in just one year
    No proof. Coincidence does not prove cause and effect.

Marijuana use by children: Colorado youth usage (ages 12 to 17) ranks 56 percent higher than the national average
    Their parents voted for it to be legal. Should be no surprise the kids want to start using.

Hospitalizations: A 38 percent increase in the number of marijuana-related hospitalizations
    Drugs have adverse reactions and side effects. Perhaps real world experience will work better than "just say no" campaigns.

More drug trafficking: The yearly average interdiction seizures of Colorado marijuana increased another 34 percent
    Well, duh. Bet we'll see an increase in trafficking of the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 this year too.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

the thread title freaked me out a bit. I was worried that he'd gone the other way and was becoming the enemy.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Since marijuana legalization, highway fatalities in Colorado are at near-historic lows
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...historic-lows/

The reason there are more marijuana related traffic deaths is probably because they are testing more or something along those lines.. or they may be testing for metabolites which stay in the system for up to a month.

They should also report how the number of alcohol related fatalities has changed..

Probably because they are more willing to readily admit it.

They should also report their alcohol usage, but they don't.

Did any of them die or have any permanent injuries from the cannabis itself?

Again this could be due to increased testing for cannabis when somebody comes in with a broken arm. What if they smoked a joint a week ago and the metabolites are still in their blood, is it still marijuana related?
    Last edited by dannno; 09-24-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    The reason there are more marijuana related ...
    From the link I posted above:
    ... Here is another relevant fact that the report not only downplays but omits entirely: "Testing positive for marijuana" does not necessarily mean a driver was under the influence at the time of the crash, let alone that marijuana contributed to the accident. Positive test results include marijuana metabolites that can be detected long after the drug's effects have worn off as well as THC levels too low to affect driving ability. The RMHIDTA indirectly acknowledges that point with this warning:
    THIS REPORT WILL CITE DATASETS WITH TERMS SUCH AS "MARIJUANA-RELATED" OR "TESTED POSITIVE FOR MARIJUANA." THAT DOES NOT NECESSARILY IMPLY THAT MARIJUANA WAS THE CAUSE OF THE INCIDENT.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    From the link I posted above:
    ... Here is another relevant fact that the report not only downplays but omits entirely: "Testing positive for marijuana" does not necessarily mean a driver was under the influence at the time of the crash, let alone that marijuana contributed to the accident. Positive test results include marijuana metabolites that can be detected long after the drug's effects have worn off as well as THC levels too low to affect driving ability. The RMHIDTA indirectly acknowledges that point with this warning:
    THIS REPORT WILL CITE DATASETS WITH TERMS SUCH AS "MARIJUANA-RELATED" OR "TESTED POSITIVE FOR MARIJUANA." THAT DOES NOT NECESSARILY IMPLY THAT MARIJUANA WAS THE CAUSE OF THE INCIDENT.
    Lies, damn lies, statistics and government statistics.

To be fair, most of the comments on this post are very critical.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Dishonesty rears its head yet again...

Ultra-misleading. If there were 3 MJ-realted deaths in 2014, 4 in 2015 would be about 32%. And what do they mean by "marijuana-related"? There was a joint in the car? A seed? A copy of High Times? Passenger was wearing a t-shirt with a cannabis leaf on it?

And yet, millions of stooge-like people will read this with no critical analytic thought whatsoever. They will gasp and cover their agape mouths, aghast.

And how did they obtain this information and how do they know it is truthful? Is it not still illegal for minors to consume MJ? If so, then we must assume those "children" are equally reticent to confess usage as they would be with alcohol, probably more so, given the long historical stigma. So where, then, are they getting this information? It may be valid... it might not. If valid, one would think that basic journalistic instinct would be to cite the source in order to bolster credibility. Funny that, given the presumed self-interest to retain one's reputation as credible and honest, this writer has failed to exercise the most basic defensive measures to best protect himself from even the appearance of journalistic impropriety. That would suggest to me that perhaps the claim and the truth may be more disjoint than the author would wish the world to know.

Oy... "marijauna-related hospitalizations" Same issue as in point 1.

Let us assume that this is true. SO WHAT? Firstly, seizures by whom, in what locations, and who were the possessors? This is all baloney innuendo, thus far. No soup for bad bad author.

As such, marijuana use-and drug use in general-does not, as Senator Paul suggested, only impact the user. Just ask any family that has struggled with a loved one facing addiction.
    Ultra-FAIL. Mega-, hyper-, super-duper FAIL. By this dog-poo reasoning, we should criminalize skiiing and snow-boarding because of the loved one's who struggle with those who injure themselves while engaging in such activities.

Whoever wrote this should be whipped with a green cane until no less than 100 vicious welts rise from his hide and he spends the next three days wishing he'd been killed. I cannot tell you the extent to which I despise this brand of bald-faced, artless dishonesty. For pity's sake, if you are going to lie, at least show your victims the decency of making a good show of it. This is raw obscenity.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Lies, damn lies, statistics and government statistics.
    I've seen these kinds of "statistics" before. MADD/NHTSA is a master at them.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    [/B][/I]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Ultra-misleading. If there were 3 MJ-realted deaths in 2014, 4 in 2015 would be about 32%. And what do they mean by "marijuana-related"? There was a joint in the car? A seed? A copy of High Times? Passenger was wearing a t-shirt with a cannabis leaf on it?

And yet, millions of stooge-like people will read this with no critical analytic thought whatsoever. They will gasp and cover their agape mouths, aghast.

And how did they obtain this information and how do they know it is truthful? Is it not still illegal for minors to consume MJ? If so, then we must assume those "children" are equally reticent to confess usage as they would be with alcohol, probably more so, given the long historical stigma. So where, then, are they getting this information? It may be valid... it might not. If valid, one would think that basic journalistic instinct would be to cite the source in order to bolster credibility. Funny that, given the presumed self-interest to retain one's reputation as credible and honest, this writer has failed to exercise the most basic defensive measures to best protect himself from even the appearance of journalistic impropriety. That would suggest to me that perhaps the claim and the truth may be more disjoint than the author would wish the world to know.

Oy... "marijauna-related hospitalizations" Same issue as in point 1.

Let us assume that this is true. SO WHAT? Firstly, seizures by whom, in what locations, and who were the possessors? This is all baloney innuendo, thus far. No soup for bad bad author.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Georgia]

Ultra-FAIL. Mega-, hyper-, super-duper FAIL. By this dog-poo reasoning, we should criminalize skiiing and snow-boarding because of the loved one's who struggle with those who injure themselves while engaging in such activities.

Whoever wrote this should be whipped with a green cane until no less than 100 vicious welts rise from his hide and he spends the next three days wishing he'd been killed. I cannot tell you the extent to which I despise this brand of bald-faced, artless dishonesty. For pity's sake, if you are going to lie, at least show your victims the decency of making a good show of it. This is raw obscenity.
    always want to rep your posts but half the time it wont let me hehe
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Jonderdonk View Post
    Rand supports legalization of medical Marajuana (canibus oil), which actually has very little THC in it. A lot like hemp. His criticism of Bush was two-fold. Bush, privileged white guy smokes pot without repercussions but a black guy does it he goes to jail. Second, Bush voted down the legislation to legalize medical Marajuana so parents in FL could go to jail/lose their kids because it is illegal.

He he has never been for outright legalization of Pot like Colorado but he will uphold the 10th amendment regardless. The article is designed to get people to think that he would using a straw man to get there.