Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price inflation: Eggs and butter

Price inflation: Eggs and butter

Price inflation: Eggs and butter

Anyone who shops for groceries has noticed price inflation in food over the years. Usually it is slow, so people do not register the increases, but recently the price of staples like butter and eggs have skyrocketed by over 100%. Even the proverbial boiled frog will start to feel this rapid increase. Now the standard response from the mainstream business media like CNBC will claim something like "it's due to avian flu".

What is really causing this price inflation? We have to start with monetary inflation. The trickle down effect from the Federal Reserve's inflationary monetary policy is finally taking hold, and like a slowing rising river as the rains start, this may only be the beginning.

What about other factors? How can we forget the massive expansion of government food aid? Food stamps, EBT, WIC, etc have provided money for basic food needs, and once someone else is paying, who asks about price? Government interference in the competitive market always increases prices, especially when price is eliminated as a concern.

We can always cite energy costs as a reason for overall price increases. Increases in the cost of energy effect almost every industry. It is similar to the results of widespread tax increases. But have taxes increased dramatically? Not yet. Have energy prices increased? Yes, they did. But they have also been reduced quite a bit in the past year. It would be hard to blame a recent increase in the price of eggs and butter on transportation costs when the price of fuel has been falling.

Despite what the media says, a regional flu or occasional factory shutdown is not the cause of widespread price inflation. Look first to the larger and more pervasive causes: inflationary monetary policy from the Federal Reserve, tax increases, and any government actions that reduce competition or eliminate cost considerations. Other issues are usually minimal or transitory, and nothing but a drop in the bucket compared to government actions.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All things being equal the general price level is proportional to the amount of printed money or the monetary base. I don't care what Keynesians say, they're wrong. If the general price level does not rise as fast as the amount of printed money over time, theoretically we could all stay home and let the Fed print our salaries. We would just have to print a little faster than the rise in prices. But it doesn't work that way in reality. In reality if you double the amount of money and the amount of goods and services stays the same, prices will double.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    All things being equal the general price level is proportional to the amount of printed money or the monetary base. I don't care what Keynesians say, they're wrong. If the general price level does not rise as fast as the amount of printed money over time, theoretically we could all stay home and let the Fed print our salaries. We would just have to print a little faster than the rise in prices. But it doesn't work that way in reality. In reality if you double the amount of money and the amount of goods and services stays the same, prices will double.
    What throws people off is the delay. Helicopter Ben and the Fed have been hovering over the top of Goldman Sachs and Wall St. bankers dumping money for years. It takes time to have it's effect overall.

The question is, will it turn into a flood? Is it like a downpour at the top of a desert canyon, and we are sitting at the bottom 100 miles away just now seeing the water start to flow?
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-23-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Egg prices? Mostly due to greatly reduced supplies. In California, a couple of factors are at work. First, at the beginning of the year, a voter approved law took effect which required that caged birds must have bigger cages. The law applied to eggs imported into the state as well so ranchers could not just move their operations outside of California to avoid the law. That meant that producers had to either scrap using cages or build new ones. Bigger cages means less space for birds meaning fewer eggs. Producers had to recover the costs of those new cages too- and that was passed along to consumers as higher prices on eggs. If they went cage free, they could still have lots of chickens (perhaps even more). Cage free can command higher prices with people willing to spend more on them under the impression that it is somehow "better"- either in terms of how the chickens live or the taste of the egg. Those are illusions. This picture is a cage free chicken farm in Belgium.

Then this summer we hit another blow to supplies. Bird flu. Millions of birds were killed to try to stop it from spreading. Prices of eggs across the country doubled- not just in California. The number of birds killed comes to about 20% of all egg laying chickens in the US. http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._bird_flu.html

Egg prices soar after bird flu outbreak, but end is in sight

Egg prices are the highest they've been in 30 years. National prices soared over the last few months as the United States Department of Agriculture kills flocks of chickens to try to contain a bird flu outbreak.

So far, almost 50 million birds have been killed, the majority of which are raised to lay eggs, according to Quartz.

The USDA hasn't had a reported case of avian flu since July 15, though. However, the prices of eggs will likely stay high for awhile while the flocks are replenished. In the meantime, some grocery stores are rationing eggs and importing eggs from other countries -- an uncommon measure.

The egg industry is hoping that this is near the end of the epidemic, reported Politico on Tuesday. Egg officials estimate a year to 15 months to recover from the outbreak, though.
    (article from two days ago)

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...k-of-avian-flu

The outbreak of avian flu caused the cost of eggs to nearly double in June for producers. Wholesale prices for chicken eggs jumped 84.5% in June, the US Department of Labor said.

The spike comes amid otherwise tame inflation across the rest of the economy. The producer price index, which measures the costs of goods and services before they reach consumers, rose 0.4% in June.

Over the past 12 months, producer prices have fallen 0.7% because of lower oil and gas costs. Wholesale gas prices rose 4.3% last month but are down 30.3% from a year ago, keeping inflation firmly in check.

A surprising amount of the increase in producer prices in June came from eggs, which make up an extremely small share of the broader index but have soared in price since April.

“When they’re rising at a 58,000% annualized rate, as they have the past two months, the impact is material,” said Ted Wieseman, an analyst at Morgan Stanley who estimates that eggs account for nearly a fifth of the total 0.4% increase in producer prices last month.

Wholesale chicken egg prices recorded the largest increase since the government began tracking the costs in 1937. More than 49m chickens and turkeys died or were euthanized in 15 states this spring as the flu virus spread from the Pacific north-west into midwest farms.

The loss of those birds has cut into the supply of eggs, provoking a shortage that should begin to cause higher egg prices in stores, Wieseman said.

Still, the producer price index showed that overall inflation remains mild. Core prices, which exclude energy and food, rose 0.3% in June.

Relatively cheap oil has limited inflation across much of the US economy. The cost of Brent crude oil in the markets barely budged for much of June, after climbing at the start of May to nearly $68 a barrel.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-23-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Butter has been getting hit on both supply and demand. As some states like New York have passed laws banning trans fat oils, some have moved to using butter instead. Individuals and companies in states without such laws have also been switching back to butter. Butter demand is at an all time high.

Butter demand has also grown globally and a larger portion of the butter being produced in the US is now being exported. That reduces supplies here in the States.

Supply problems date back to the heat waves we had a couple of years ago and the continuing drought in Western states. Ranchers sold off dairy (and beef cattle) because they could not afford to feed and water them and still make money. That reduced supplies (steak prices are up too). Hot weather also reduced production- cows don't like the heat.

IF QE is to blame (and not these supply and demand issues) then the price for all commodities should be soaring. Fed caused price inflation should be hitting large sectors of the economy- not just selected ones. Are they?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-23-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Butter has been getting hit on both supply and demand. As some states like New York have passed laws banning trans fat oils, some have moved to using butter instead. Individuals and companies in states without such laws have also been switching back to butter. Butter demand is at an all time high.

Butter demand has also grown globally and a larger portion of the butter being produced in the US is now being exported. That reduces supplies here in the States.

Supply problems date back to the heat waves we had a couple of years ago and the continuing drought in Western states. Ranchers sold off dairy (and beef cattle) because they could not afford to feed and water them and still make money. That reduced supplies (steak prices are up too). Hot weather also reduced production- cows don't like the heat.

IF QE is to blame (and not these supply and demand issues) then the price for all commodities should be soaring. Fed caused price inflation should be hitting large sectors of the economy- not just selected ones. Are they?
    Without fail, our resident stats.gov apologist shows up. If we had a 1000 threads with a 1000 different products that went up in price, you would enter every single one of those threads with some excuse other than government or the Fed.

First, at the beginning of the year, a voter approved law took effect which required that caged birds must have bigger cages. The law applied to eggs imported into the state as well so ranchers could not just move their operations outside of California to avoid the law.
    That qualifies as a government cause. Just because your leftist, brainwashed masses approve of such a law makes it no less a "government action".

some grocery stores are rationing eggs and importing eggs from other countries -- an uncommon measure.
    My local grocery store had a huge stack of eggs for 99 cents a dozen, right next to the $6/dozen stack. The difference you ask? The ones for 99 cents expired the next day. Perhaps supply was not so short after all.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    What throws people off is the delay. Helicopter Ben and the Fed have been hovering over the top of Goldman Sachs and Wall St. bankers dumping money for years. It takes time to have it's effect overall.

The question is, will it turn into a flood? Is it like a downpour at the top of a desert canyon, and we are sitting at the bottom 100 miles away just now seeing the water start to flow?
    I agree, it's the time lag that fools people. Look at a 100 year chart of prices and the monetary base.

And as I've been saying, if printing money doesn't proportionally increase prices, the mathematical conclusion would be that we could all retire and just print what we need.

while I agree wholeheartedly with your general premise.
    the world switched to digital "currency" a very longtime ago.
    (1971?)
    what can be created on a computer, can be deleted on a computer.

this is why Zippy is needed. to maintain "confidence" in such a flimsy "system"

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

My local grocery store had a huge stack of eggs for 99 cents a dozen, right next to the $6/dozen stack. The difference you ask? The ones for 99 cents expired the next day. Perhaps supply was not so short after all.
    Means people aren't paying $6 a dozen so he has to get rid of them. That will vary from store to store and how many they bought to sell.

Sell by date on eggs is a suggestion- there is no fixed date after collecting eggs they are dated to- the packer of the eggs makes that decision. Sell by date is also not necessarily an "exipration date" either. Eggs and other products are usually fine to consume after their "sell by date". Eggland's Best says their eggs are fine to consume for at least 30 days after that if they are not cracked and are kept chilled. http://www.egglandsbest.com/faqs/

I agree, it's the time lag that fools people. Look at a 100 year chart of prices and the monetary base.

And as I've been saying, if printing money doesn't proportionally increase prices, the mathematical conclusion would be that we could all retire and just print what we need.
    All prices or just egg prices? Until 2008, the monetary base was cash money. Monetary base also includes excess bank deposits but prior to the crisis excess reserves were basically zero. Cash is only about ten percent of the entire money supply. M2 is a better measure of money supply than the monetary base.

But as for a chart (doesn't go back 100 years- monetary base was not calculated 100 years ago)- chart shows percent changes from year before. Note the soaring increase in the monetary base starting in 2008 and yet no following soaring in the rate of inflation even seven years later.

http://washingtonoutside.blogspot.co...money-and.html

When it comes to monetary policy, the media is fixated on the Fed’s “printing money”* and the timing of any tapering of “quantitative easing.” Critics of the Fed assert that the Fed’s quantitative easing policies will lead to inflation. The simple argument is that the Fed’s policies will lead to too much money chasing too few goods, which will result in price increases.

In order to evaluate this argument, it is useful to remind ourselves of some basic facts. It is true that the Fed through its quantitative easing policies – purchasing Treasury notes and bonds and mortgage-backed securities – has been vastly increasing the size of its balance sheet to an unprecedented degree. This has resulted in a large increase in bank reserves and the monetary base (currency in circulation and balances of depository institutions held at Federal Reserve Banks). It has not, though, resulted in an unprecedented increase in the money supply. M2, which is a commonly used measure of the money supply, consists of currency held by the public, transaction deposits at depository institutions, savings deposits, time deposits of less than $100,000, and retail money market fund shares. (See here for the Fed’s description of these aggregates and links to monetary data.) Note that bank reserves, including excess reserves, are not included in M2.

What is important to note is that the relationship of changes in the monetary base, which the Fed controls, and changes in M2 has been completely transformed since the financial crisis. The monetary base also currently has no relationship to inflation as measured by the CPI. This graph shows on a monthly basis beginning in 2000 percentage changes from a year ago of M2, the monetary base, and the CPI.

Before claiming that Fed policy is leading to inflation, critics need to analyze the change in the relationship between the Fed’s expansion of its balance sheet and the growth rate of M2. They also need to examine the current lack of relationship between the monetary base and inflation.

What seems more plausible is that monetary policy has not been as effective as desired at stimulating the economy.
    There also is little effect of quantitative easing on increasing the growth rate of the money supply. There is a case to be made, though, that the quantitative easing policies have served to lower long-term interest rates, particularly on Treasuries and mortgage-backed securities, but to an unknown degree. This has perhaps fueled increases in stock market and housing prices, but it has not resulted in an increase in prices of consumer goods. There is reason to be concerned about asset bubbles at the current time, but the danger (or benefit) of inflation seems remote.

Some economists, such as Paul Krugman and Ken Rogoff, advocate Fed policies leading to an increase in inflation as a way to get the economy growing. Higher inflation can produce negative real interest rates, which some view as necessary to get the economy to full employment. At the moment, it would seem that the Fed would have to be much more aggressive than is currently feasible politically or practically to get the inflation rate at some economists’ preferred target of four percent. Of course, it may become possible at a later time, though it is subject to debate whether this would be good policy. At the moment, the greatest risk to the economy from current Fed policy is asset bubbles which inevitably deflate. The Fed’s greatest challenges are deciding how to meet its legislatively mandated goals of “stable prices” and “maximum employment” in a period when fiscal policy is far from helpful in stimulating the economy, when and how to phase out its quantitative easing policies, and how to avoid dangerous asset bubbles.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-23-2015 at 08:08 PM.

What has happened with the more commonly used measure of money supply- M2? Note that it does correspond better with changes in price levels. In 1980, the rate of price inflation was over ten percent- its highest point in the last 40 years.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-23-2015 at 08:13 PM.

All prices or just egg prices? Until 2008, the monetary base was cash money. Monetary base also includes excess bank deposits but prior to the crisis excess reserves were basically zero. Cash is only about ten percent of the entire money supply. M2 is a better measure of money supply than the monetary base.

But as for a chart (doesn't go back 100 years- monetary base was not calculated 100 years ago)- chart shows percent changes from year before. Note the soaring increase in the monetary base starting in 2008 and yet no following soaring in the rate of inflation even seven years later.
    ]
    "Cash is only about ten percent of the entire money supply."

you are being generous Zip.
    you are also implying that cash is money.

I suppose that works pretty well on the stupid ones.
    lets just use Zippy #'s.
    10% is "cash".
    and the rest (90%)is digital.

how, is this "money supply" created?
    is it based on the creation of debt? and IF, so.

how can this be a good thing?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Not to mention, "cash" is un-created when principle on debt is repaid.
    "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

Most Importantly , I , ( Great Patriot and National Treasure ) , have not raised my egg prices during this crisis .

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Eggs I sell are from that day .This is what I call " fresh" .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Eggs I sell are from that day .This is what I call " fresh" .
    Are they red?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Are they red?
    Brown

Very interesting revelation on eggs. I was talking to someone who was helping out some disabled people (SSDI recipients?) who live in subsidized apartments. This is a one person per one bedroom apartment situation. They looked in the refrigerator to get an idea of the food situation, and was shocked to find 10 dozen eggs in the first person's fridge. The second person had 15 dozen eggs in their fridge. Apparently the eggs are coming from charity and are accumulating in the fridges of people who frequent food giveaways.

Egg shortage? Not in reality, only in the industry and government media propaganda universe.

As a person on a strict ketogenic diet, I notice every minor fluctuation.

I thought Avian Flu was the cause for the eggs though...

My hens are working hard .I will be hauling a load of eggs to town tomorrow to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    My hens are working hard .I will be hauling a load of eggs to town tomorrow to sell.
    Apparently you need to tell everyone that your hens are dying of the flu, so you unfortunately need to triple the price...

Quote Originally Posted by Kade View Post
    I thought Avian Flu was the cause for the eggs though...
    That's what you are supposed to think. In reality, it mainly effected chicken farms in Iowa, and Turkey farms in Iowa and other states. And that only effected ~40% of Iowa's egg farming capacity.

There are other interests at work. Extreme (excess) caution requires the entire stock to be killed if even one bird is identified as sick. In the huge factory farms, that could mean over a million chickens in one incident. But this also fuels activists, who don't want factory farms. They want free range cage free chickens. The bird flu story helps them to demonize factory farms. And the FDA and EPA needs more money to handle this, and vaccine producers need to create vaccines for the chickens, and then the FDA can mandate those new vaccines.

Follow the money...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    loveshiscountry

http://washingtonoutside.blogspot.co...money-and.html
    Your chart uses CPI. CPI is a joke. It counts the cost of health care insurance at less than 1 percent. Health care insurance costs the average family almost 10 percent of their income.

Means people aren't paying $6 a dozen so he has to get rid of them. That will vary from store to store and how many they bought to sell.

Sell by date on eggs is a suggestion- there is no fixed date after collecting eggs they are dated to- the packer of the eggs makes that decision. Sell by date is also not necessarily an "exipration date" either. Eggs and other products are usually fine to consume after their "sell by date". Eggland's Best says their eggs are fine to consume for at least 30 days after that if they are not cracked and are kept chilled. http://www.egglandsbest.com/faqs/

I managed to snag some about a month back for the deep discount price and bought 10 dozen. If need be you can freeze them with a bit of honey. I used to do that when we raised them oh so many moons ago. Outta eggs again here so am on the hunt for the some more of the clearance ones. People need not be quite so wary about the sell by dates on the eggs.

I imagine many folks are like me, $6 a dozen isn't in the budget. I will skip eggs unless extremely necessary (and I have enough vegan tricks from my brief moments as one) to know one can live w/out them until they become reasonable or are clearanced.

ETA: link for 5 handy tips to replace eggs http://www.thekitchn.com/5-vegan-sub...-kitchn-136591

The egg replacer Ener-g was a handy substitute under most circumstances.
    Last edited by moostraks; 09-30-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Follow the money...
    Okay, I've done that, and it still seems that the increase was from demand, when our exports shifted to take advantage of Mexicos rising egg prices when they lost stock to bird flu. I need help researching this, money seems to show invariable volatility with normalized supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    I will skip eggs unless extremely necessary (and I have enough vegan tricks from my brief moments as one) to know one can live w/out them until they become reasonable or are clearanced.

ETA: link for 5 handy tips to replace eggs http://www.thekitchn.com/5-vegan-sub...-kitchn-136591

The egg replacer Ener-g was a handy substitute under most circumstances.
    It is interesting that people who pay for eggs are cutting back, while people who get them for free have them coming out of their ears. Redistribution of eggs...

It is interesting that people who pay for eggs are cutting back, while people who get them for free have them coming out of their ears. Redistribution of eggs...
    Lol! Yeah, good point there.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

I went to a sketchy Asian market today and they had 18 eggs for 1.99. There was a pallet of them sitting by the front door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast