Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That's what I get for buying a new car

The change to the control system will probably place more of a load/strain
    on the anti-pollution components and cause them to fail earlier. THEN the
    car won't pass its emissions test until expensive repairs are made. IF the
    MFR is forced to cover those repairs at no charge for 8yr/80k miles, bailouts
    may be needed to make that happen... Sounds like a big load of crap getting
    kicked into the future.

No more dark sarcasm in the classroom, hey gubermint, LEAVE THEM CARS ALONE!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I have, literally, stuck my nose three inches from the tailpipe and cannot smell a whiff of diesel exhaust, just hot gases.

That will be the death knell for any more small diesels in the US and will destroy the resale/trade-in value of my 2013 Jetta wagon.

Not to mention what the mandatory software upgrade will do to my mileage/performance.

Motherfuckers.
    Well , just having my coffee , glad to see you have the Mother screwers right .

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Instant 20% depreciation?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    18billion in fines? I am always curious... what happens to the money after it is collected by a federal agency?
    I always figured they spend it to get SWAT Teams to collect more fines .

Aint nobody in government really given a fk about burning fossil fuels and pollution...
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FEQM4i9O0UGRLg

An armored division of the Army can use as much as 600,000 gallons of fuel a day. A tank like the M1 Abrams gets about .6 mpg, and a cargo vehicle like the M-1070 semi-trailer (designed to haul tanks) gets approximately 1.2 mpg.Jun 5, 2008
    1 of these container ships generates more pollution/emissions than every single car that is driven on US highways, combined. 15 of these ships generates more pollution that every single car on the planet, combined.

Centralized power generation (power plants) generate more pollution (total pollution, not just BS CO2 emissions) than all cars in the US, yet the EPA imposes more regulation on the mundanes than it does on power plants. In fact, until 2009 there was zero mercury emissions regulation on US power plants... I dont have an exact count on power plants, but I'm guessing there is less than 20,000 in the US - seems like an easy target for a tyrant. Too bad those lobbyists probably get in the way.

To be clear, I dont point this out because I want the EPA to increase their reach. I'm simply demonstrating the hypocrisy, and how the objective really isnt to control emissions or pollution.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

AF,

You might still have enough equity in that techno-marvel to swap it for an old wagon or maybe an El-Camino/ Ranchero...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    AF,

You might still have enough equity in that techno-marvel to swap it for an old wagon or maybe an El-Camino/ Ranchero...
    I keep threatening Mrs. AF with a Country Squire wagon.

I remember my moms 67 Colony Park with a 390 4-bbl, it'd smoke 1st gear and chirp 2nd bone stock....

NO!

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Find a VistaCruser. The skylight is worth it.

Last edited by pcosmar; 05-27-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I knew I was old when I decided I wou/d kill for one.

VW Engineer Pleads Guilty to Criminal Charges for TDI Emissions Cheat

VW Engineer Pleads Guilty to Criminal Charges for TDI Emissions Cheat

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...sel-emissions/

Getty ODD ANDERSEN/AFP
    BY BOB SOROKANICH
    SEP 9, 2016

The first Volkswagen employee to face criminal charges relating to the ongoing diesel emissions scandal has entered a guilty plea.

The Detroit News reports that James Robert Liang, 62, appeared in U.S. District Court on Friday in Detroit to plead guilty to conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government to commit wire fraud in violating the Clean Air Act. Liang faces a penalty of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Liang, whose name first appeared in a lawsuit against VW filed in New York State in July, allegedly engineered a diesel emissions defeat device for the Volkswagen Jetta powered by the 2.0-liter TDI engine. He reportedly began developing the device in 2006, and oversaw testing of the device at a Volkswagen facility in California in 2014 and 2015.

The Department of Justice report states, "according to Liang's admissions, when he and his co-conspirators realized that they could not design a diesel engine that would meet the stricter U.S. emissions standards, they designed and implemented software to recognize whether a vehicle was undergoing standard U.S. emissions testing on a dynamometer or being driven on the road under normal driving conditions (the defeat device), in order to cheat the emissions test. Liang admitted that he used the defeat device while working on the EA 189 and assisted in making the defeat device work."

The Detroit News reports that Liang was also indicted for violating the Clean Air Act, which includes a two-year prison term and $250,000 fine. He did not enter a plea to the charge as part of an agreement with the Department of Justice.

Liang was employed at VW's world headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany, starting in 1983. He relocated to the automaker's California facility in 2008, where he held the title Leader of Diesel Competence.

This plea marks the first instance of an individual VW employee being charged with a crime in the automaker's ongoing diesel emissions scandal. Volkswagen first admitted to tampering with emissions control devices in September of 2015, eventually revealing that defeat devices were built in to up to 11 million diesel-powered vehicles worldwide.

Experts say that affected diesel Volkswagens emit up to 40 times the legal limit of harmful pollutants in real-world driving, a result of defeat devices which shut off pollution controls whenever the vehicle detects that it is not undergoing government emissions testing. The automaker has agreed to spend more than $16 billion in the U.S. alone to address environmental fallout and claims brought by owners of the affected vehicles.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

So the offer was finalized, just got the paperwork.

And now, because Uncle, I have to give up a 45 mpg vehicle, which I swapped out for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, that burns more than twice the fuel and discharges twice the emissions.

Over 4 tenths of a percent of NoX.

Danke was correct, that is what this all boils down to.

Uncle Sucker's fatwas decree that 94.7 of all NoX emissions must be scrubbed, cut or eliminated.

VW got it down 94.3 and fudged the remaining 4 tenths with the software workaround, so as to avoid lowering the compression ratio and adding a piss sprayer to the exhaust.

So the offer was finalized, just got the paperwork.

And now, because Uncle, I have to give up a 45 mpg vehicle, which I swapped out for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, that burns more than twice the fuel and discharges twice the emissions.

Over 4 tenths of a percent of NoX.

Danke was correct, that is what this all boils down to.

Uncle Sucker's fatwas decree that 94.7 of all NoX emissions must be scrubbed, cut or eliminated.

VW got it down 94.3 and fudged the remaining 4 tenths with the software workaround, so as to avoid lowering the compression ratio and adding a piss sprayer to the exhaust.

Experts say that affected diesel Volkswagens emit up to 40 times the legal limit of harmful pollutants in real-world driving
    .01 x 40 = .4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12