An Arlington State Representative has already picked up an opponent from within his own party months ahead of primary season.

Area construction lawyer Andrew Piel, a former member of the Arlington Planning and Zoning Commission, announced Thursday his intent to challenge incumbent Representative Tony Tinderholt for House District 94.

Tinderholt, an air force combat veteran and first-term representative, was elected in 2014 after defeating four-term State Representative Diane Patrick. Months later, Tinderholt defeated his Democrat opponent Cole Ballweg in a 56 percent to 40 percent vote.

Piel announced his candidacy in a statement on Facebook, saying “Arlington needs more constructive, effective and skilled conservative representation in Austin.”

Tinderholt rebutted by pointing out his high rankings in various candidate scorecards.

“I’m consistently ranked a top conservative in Texas,” Tinderholt said. “I welcome an opponent, but if he ever had a problem with what we did in Austin, he never voiced those opinions to me.”

A Texas Tribune analysis published in July ranked Tinderholt the third-most conservative representative in the 84th Legislature.
http://www.arlingtonvoice.com/politi...representative