Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lego Club

Lego Club

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-31-2016 at 12:47 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I swear it was somebody here that turned me onto signing my kid up for lego club; but I can't find the thread.
    Anyways, thanks! Getting the free lego magazine in the mail every 2 months is a highlight for him. He loves it.

so for any of the other parents that didn't know about it: http://www.lego.com/en-us/club/member
    It's free.
    I just joined Jr. First Lego League... my 5yr old loves robots, so this is a lego club that builds little lego robots... pure awesomesauce.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I used to play with Lego's a lot when I was younger. It's very good to keep young kids creative I think, as long as they're not the types that always follow the manual. I always made something different, took it apart and made something else.

I remember making a roller-coaster from a train set and a bunch of extra track pieces. Not entirely what it was designed for but we got it to work.
    "I am a bird"

The man speaks the truth. The product and its literature are quality. My son enjoys the various lego series (Ninjago/Star Wars/Clutch Powers) on netflix too.

My 2 sons and I spend countless hours creating and destroying various scenes - good times!

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

We love Legos. My boys are teens now and they still love them. As a matter of fact, I'm taking them and my 8 year old nephew to the Lego Convention in October. At the convention, they do custom minifigs of people. I HAVE to have a custom minifig of my 16 year old. He has a horrible neck beard and I think custom minifigs will make great ornaments for our Christmas tree this year.

If you have a Lego store nearby, they do free build it's every month.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

I know it's going to be a huge money-suck - but I can't wait for LEGO: Dimensions (Video game!) coming out soon! It looks just like the Disney Infinity, or Skylanders, but all LEGO!
    Last edited by V3n; 09-19-2015 at 11:35 AM.
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

Taking my great nephew and my sons to Celebricktion tomorrow. It's really neat. If they have one in your area I recommend you check Groupon before you buy tickets. I paid $32 for four on Groupon and the tickets at the door are $15.00 each.

You can get a custom minifig of yourself. Yay!

http://www.celebricktion.com/
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I swear it was somebody here that turned me onto signing my kid up for lego club; but I can't find the thread.
    Anyways, thanks! Getting the free lego magazine in the mail every 2 months is a highlight for him. He loves it.

so for any of the other parents that didn't know about it: http://www.lego.com/en-us/club/member
    It's free.
    I thought you were an ancient Grandpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I'm going to be listening to that song all the way across town tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-25-2016 at 07:44 AM.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 07-05-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

If you kids aren't quite of lego-age yet, I highly recommend Magna-Tiles.
    http://magnatiles.com/products/magna...100-piece-set/

Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

I'm holding out for the retro Tinker toys, Lincoln Logs, and Erector Sets, child Boomer club organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    I'm holding out for the retro Tinker toys, Lincoln Logs, and Erector Sets, child Boomer club organizations.
    My kids LOVED Tinker Toys. They made all kinds of swords and guns out of them.

I thought the Lego convention was boring but the kids liked it and that's all that really matters. We ended up buying a few custom minifigs and I bought my little niece some pink lightsaber earrings. I kinda felt bad about taking her brother so I thought I would get her a treat.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:50 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1. You'll never keep them off the floor.
    2. I love your set up. Ikea? We have two sets of drawers like that to hold our loose Legos. Most of our sets stay put together (my kids are teens) but we like to keep them so my little nephew and niece (hopefully) don't mess with their nice put together sets.

built the kid a quick/easy lego crafting table/organizer out of some spare wood, some ikea things and some Velcro tape. hoping to keep the damn pieces off the floors out from under my aching feet now.

Thanks! Threads like this really make the forum worth it. I taught the Lego robotics team at my kids' school for three years. Wonderful learning experience. Sadly it hasn't been continued.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:36 PM.

I'm continually impressed with the amount of "free" stuff lego gives away to support their brand.
    The latest thing I found is their lego digital designer:
    http://ldd.us.lego.com/en-us/

A free program for building with all the types of legos virtually, then you can generate an instruction guide from the result. It's pretty nifty.
    Do you have a store nearby? They have a free build it once a month and you get to keep the little set you make, usually the first Tuesday. They also have a Lego Club - it costs to join that but I'm not sure how much.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Yeah, they just opened one right before Christmas. I didn't know about the builds, will have to check on it. my kid loved it just because of the lego-character building station, building the lego people is his favorite.

we just finalized plans to go to legoland/legohotel next month, can't wait!

You can find a store calendar on the Lego website that will tell you when they do the free build it's. http://stores.lego.com/en-us/ I think you have to preregister for them online now.

Yay! You're going to have so much fun. My kids still love the bricks but they rolled their eyes when I suggested we go to Legoland.

Legos have always been my fave. I kept about 7 or 8 sets from when the kids were little.

120,000-Piece Lego Model of the Titanic Breaking in Half Is Heartbreakingly Beautiful
    http://strike-the-root.com/120000-pi...ngly-beautiful

Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Do you think militant nagging feminists will finally stop bitching when they're scrounging for food like dogs every day after the SHTF? They are the most unhappy people in the world, and they never ask themselves why.

Un-PC Lego Making Toys Girls Like
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/01/...-lego-company/

Lego — the company that makes stackable toy bricks — has become a toy powerhouse in recent years, even surpassing Mattel in toy sales during 2014. Lego has become so popular, in fact, that the company has problems avoiding “brick shortages.”

Lego’s success has been helped along by the fact that — finally — Lego has managed to find success with girls.

With the launch of the Lego Friends line, Lego has tapped into 50 percent of the child population:

according to research firm NPD Group, the market for girls’ construction toys in the U.S. and the main European countries tripled to $900 million in 2014 from $300 million in 2011, largely on the back of the Lego Friends sets. And Lego says the share of girls among Lego players, which stood below 10% in the U.S. before the launch of Lego Friends, has increased sharply.
    The Feminist Controversy

Perhaps predictably, Lego has been condemned by feminists and culture warriors for making Lego too “girly.” Those familiar with the Friends line already know how, instead of red and blue bricks for making fire stations, the new line designed for girls features purple and pink blocks (among other colors) for constructing yachts, homes, and restaurants.

The Wall Street Journal recently examined the controversy, noting:

After five years of work, [Lego] was enthusiastic about launching Lego Friends. The new sets, however, immediately unleashed a torrent of criticism from feminist groups. A U.S. activist organization, the Spark Movement, gathered 50,000 signatures with an online petition in 2012 and requested a meeting with Lego executives. Another group, Feminist Frequency, also complained.

“We were so disappointed,” said Dana Edell, executive director of the Spark Movement. “Lego was sending a message that girls get to play with hair dryers while boys get to build airplanes and skyscrapers.”
    Ms. Edell, however, should probably aim her disappointment and disdain at seven-year-old girls rather than at Lego. After all, Lego’s success, or lack thereof, in marketing these products depends on the decisions of little girls...
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    I used to play with Lego's a lot when I was younger. It's very good to keep young kids creative I think, as long as they're not the types that always follow the manual. I always made something different, took it apart and made something else.

I remember making a roller-coaster from a train set and a bunch of extra track pieces. Not entirely what it was designed for but we got it to work.
    A kindred spirit! I had a few of the pre-designed sets, but I preferred to build ginormous spaceships as big as my little desk and such madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Finally, a job I'm qualified for.

Build your dreams: Legoland seeks model makers with ‘experience’

If you spent your childhood making masterpieces out of Lego bricks then an opening for your dream job has come on the market.
    Merlin Entertainment, owners of Legoland theme parks, are seeking 20 Lego builders in their off-site Model Shop – MMM Studios.

They have recently hired 50 employees for this task and are looking for more candidates with Lego building experience.

Ryan Wood, the model shop supervisor, says most of the model builders played with Lego as children.

“This is definitely very much a dream job, when you're a kid you play with Lego, you know? To actually make a living, actually working with Lego, it's just really incredible”, Legoland model builder, Max Petrosky told Fox 13 News.

The job description requires that hopefuls “be able to design and build sturdy, accurate, complicated, safe and instalable Lego models for a wide variety of Legoland attractions including miniature scale models and/or life sized organic models from prototypes, diagrams or computer generated instructions."

The highest educational achievement required is a high school diploma but a “pre-placement physical” is also required.

The openings are for a new facility, Merlin Magic Making Hub, close to their theme park in Winter Haven, Florida.

"It's a brand new production facility to make Lego models for Merlin attractions all around the world," Wood explained. "The kind of models we make here are typically for mini-land attractions within the Legoland and Legoland Discovery Center parks."

https://www.rt.com/usa/329992-lego-build-job-dreams/

We had to buy a gift for a pre-K girl recently. My boy was in the lego aisle looking and immediately picked up one of those girly lego sets, he said, "Here, these are girl legos, she'll like them." Guess what, he was right. the little 5yr old girl loved her pink, and purple lego set with lego ice cream, lego kitty and hairdresser.
    Awww, that's sweet.

It's a shame some grouches are attacking purple and pink toys as Lucille pointed out. Femininity is good for girls, not bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:22 PM.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast