Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul should join Huckabee in supporting Kim Davis

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    Jesus told me to tell you to stop posting, Netanyahu also. Now be a good Shabbos got and run along
    Have you recently suffered a head injury?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Have you recently suffered a head injury?
    I guess the AstroTurf firm pays you by post eh?

I guess the AstroTurf firm pays you by post eh?
    See, dillo, here's the dillio. You asked a question. RPG&R answered it at least twice. And then you asked pretty much the same thing again. And then when he posted something smart allecky that was I guess his way of mocking your repeated asking of an already answered question, you, instead of realizing your mistake acted like he was avoiding the question that he had already answered at least twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    The Bible also states: Judge not, lest ye be judged.
    That verse is a warning against hypocrisy. It is not a blanket "you can't judge people" or invitation for eye for an eye style retribution.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoax View Post
    That verse is a warning against hypocrisy. It is not a blanket "you can't judge people" or invitation for eye for an eye style retribution.
    Agreed! Scroll back and read Mello's first post that I responded to, it will put that quote in context. He was calling Davis a hypocrite.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    You are trying to tie in and equate Mark's verse with the Leviticus verse. Disingenuous at best. Especially given that the Bible gives at least two examples of when divorce is acceptable. Moses issued certificates of divorce, and when Joseph found out that Mary was pregnant, he was going to privately divorce her. And then there's this:

Deuteronomy 24:1-4

1 If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, 2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, 3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, 4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

No stoning there....

And, unless you know Davis personally, you can't possibly know her reasons for divorce. The Bible also states: Judge not, lest ye be judged.
    So, one part of the bible demands death and a different part of the bible says that it's totally cool. This is just another reason not to follow the teachings of the bible. Anyone can find a 180-degree position on an issue. Bigots used the bible to justify their bigotry when it came to integrating schools in the south & interracial marriage decades ago. This is just the new PC-version of bigotry disguised as "Religious Freedom".

Gays & lesbians pay their taxes and can enlist & die protecting our freedoms and yet until recently were not equal under the law. I don't think it was right. I don't think it was fair. Especially forcing one group's religious beliefs on everyone else, regardless of their beliefs.

I'm an Atheist but I don't force my non-beliefs on people. It should be a two-way street. I'm also a straight guy & I don't care who consenting adults want to fall in love with & marry. I am a big believer in fair play though.
    Last edited by mello; 09-08-2015 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Another reason not to follow the teachings of the bible. Anyone can find a 180-degree position on an issue. Bigots used the bible to justify their bigotry when it came to integrating schools in the south & interracial marriage decades ago. This is just the new PC-version of bigotry disguised as "Religious Freedom".

Gays & lesbians pay their taxes and can enlist & die protecting our freedoms and yet until recently were not equal under the law. I don't think it was right. I don't think it was fair. Especially forcing one group's religious beliefs on everyone else, irregardless of their beliefs.

I'm an Atheist but I don't force my non-beliefs on people. It should be a two-way street. I'm also a straight guy & I don't care who consenting adults want to fall in love with & marry. I am a big believer in fair play though.
    Take your own advice then, and don't use the Bible to make your argument. You started off claiming she would be stoned to death for 4 marriages according to the Bible.

However, I agree with you that using the Bible to make an argument is a double-edged sword because it naturally contradicts itself due to the fact that it combines many authors over a 1500 year span. Not to mention, people interpret it in ways that fit their agendas. But I don't think dismissing its teachings out of hand is wise. There are many timeless messages, lessons, and advice that are beneficial to us if we wish to live in love.

I agree that people should love whomever they desire to love, and be left alone, and treated equally under the law. By the same token, I believe people have the right to protest laws they don't agree with, which is what she did. She engaged in civil disobedience and she is protected under the first amendment to do so, despite the fact that there are those here who believe she gave up her rights when she became a public servant - ridiculous.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    I 100% agree. Rand should have beaten Huckabee to the punch. This is a golden opportunity for Rand. It's the biggest news of the day and it's all on his turf geographically and politically. He doesn't need to make it personal about Kim Davis the woman. It's a states versus feds issue. And that should be precisely where Rand runs circles around all the others.
    If I hear Rand actively support her decision to refuse to issue marriage licenses, it will be the last straw, and I will officially decide to not vote for Rand.
    If you wanted some sort of Ideological purity, you'll get none of that from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I am View Post
    If I hear Rand actively support her decision to refuse to issue marriage licenses, it will be the last straw, and I will officially decide to not vote for Rand.
    I guess you would be better of supporting an authoritarian like Chris Christie who believes in using force against people and throwing them in prison for following their religious beliefs.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...government-jo/

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    I guess you would be better of supporting an authoritarian like Chris Christie who believes in using force against people and throwing them in prison for following their religious beliefs.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...government-jo/
    I agree 100% with what Christie said should be done in that article. It's complicated by the fact that she's an elected official, but if she was just a government employee she should 100% be removed from her position. Just like she would be in the private sector.

I agree 100% with what Christie said should be done in that article. It's complicated by the fact that she's an elected official, but if she was just a government employee she should 100% be removed from her position. Just like she would be in the private sector.
    Since most KY people and the local government support her, it's not clear she would be removed. Whether or not she should be removed from her position should be the call of the LOCAL people who elected her, or local government who hired her, or private firm that hired her. It's not the call of a federal judge to discipline rural clerks. While her duties as a public official are clearly a big consideration, that does not prove her exercise of her religious beliefs MUST be set aside.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Hoax View Post
    Im no biblical scholar, but the passage seems like its pointing out that all people are flawed. So if youre perfect and without sin than you can judge people.
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Im no biblical scholar, but the passage seems like its pointing out that all people are flawed. So if youre perfect and without sin than you can judge people.
    No, it's saying that if you commit a particular sin, then don't judge someone else who also commits that sin. If you go out and get drunk on the weekends, then don't judge someone and think negatively of someone who goes out and gets drunk on the weekends. If you don't go out and get drunk on the weekends, then you have the right to judge someone who does that.

Why?

Why should she be removed from her position, and why do you think she would be in the private sector?

The reason Rand didn't support her first is simple; he's afraid to. He wants to be all things to all people across demographics, and in the process he's alienating his support base. It's a sad state of affairs.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Why should she be removed from her position, and why do you think she would be in the private sector?
    She would be fired because she's not doing her job.

If you worked as a fry cook in McDonalds, but you refused to cook hamburgers because you were Hindi, don't you think you would get fired?

She would be fired because she's not doing her job.
    Says who? Since when does her job description include issuing same-sex marriage licenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    No, it's saying that if you commit a particular sin, then don't judge someone else who also commits that sin. If you go out and get drunk on the weekends, then don't judge someone and think negatively of someone who goes out and gets drunk on the weekends. If you don't go out and get drunk on the weekends, then you have the right to judge someone who does that.
    " You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

how do you interpret that part then?
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

" You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."

how do you interpret that part then?
    Doesn't that support exactly what he said?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know or care what the discussion in this thread has been up to now. But following this lady's release from prison today on Twitter makes me really happy Rand is not following Huckabee. Huckabee walked her out of prison to a crowd of anti-gay protesters. Not Christians defending their beliefs, anti-gay protesters. Huckabee's rhetoric today makes it sound like gay marriage is a clear and present danger to the United States of America.

That is dangerous, that is uncomfortable to hear. I want no part of it.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    I don't know or care what the discussion in this thread has been up to now. But following this lady's release from prison today on Twitter makes me really happy Rand is not following Huckabee. Huckabee walked her out of prison to a crowd of anti-gay protesters. Not Christians defending their beliefs, anti-gay protesters. Huckabee's rhetoric today makes it sound like gay marriage is a clear and present danger to the United States of America.

That is dangerous, that is uncomfortable to hear. I want no part of it.
    Rand could have had his own voice and addressed issues that really are clear and present dangers to all of us

Doesn't that support exactly what he said?
    Are logs and specks supposed to be represent the same sin?

Rand could have had his own voice and addressed issues that really are clear and present dangers to all of us
    He can do that without diving into this media circus.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

That verse has to do with repentance. Before chastising others you need to acknowledge your own faults and work to redeem yourself first. It in no way means you should not judge others for their actions or that you should not try to help them seek forgiveness.

Rand was interviewed about Davis earlier today

Not on youtube yet, but you can watch this video of Rand Paul on Fox News from earlier today. Says he needed to stay in DC, didn't want to miss a vote. Mentions the Kentucky(?) "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" of 2013. (3:52)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/447133284...#sp=show-clips

(Rand looks all sunburned, and his hair looks fried, too.)
    Last edited by Valli6; 09-08-2015 at 04:31 PM.

They could be, just that the one is bigger than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    He can do that without diving into this media circus.
    The publicity would be the main point of doing it.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    The reason Rand didn't support her first is simple; he's afraid to. He wants to be all things to all people across demographics, and in the process he's alienating his support base. It's a sad state of affairs.

He didn't support her first probably because he isn't a huge fan of what she is doing.

I would bet there are just as many people in his base who do not support Kim Davis. I sure don't support her. There is really nothing he could do to lose my support but it does bother me that he showed any sympathy toward this idiot. I do not stand with her in any way shape or form and I would bet that is the overwhelming majority opinion among libertarians. Maybe libertarians aren't Rand's base. I don't know who he is trying to appeal to. But I can't fathom for the life of me any libertarian supporting this woman. She is wrong.
    Last edited by Krugminator2; 09-08-2015 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    He didn't support her first probably because he isn't a huge fan of what she is doing.

I would bet there are just as many people in his base who do not support Kim Davis. I sure don't support her. There is really nothing he could do to lose my support but it does bother me that he showed any sympathy toward this idiot. I do not stand with her in any way shape or form and I would bet that is the overwhelming majority opinion among libertarians.
    Of course Rand agrees with her.

The people you call libertarians aren't libertarians.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast