Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul should join Huckabee in supporting Kim Davis

I have to admit, I can't find much wrong with the Huckster's points on this issue:

Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by radiofriendly View Post
    I'm really surprised to see such a shallow non-argument here. I can't remember if you're the same person that called her trashy, but let's remember some basic logic.

Tu quoque (pronounced "too kwoh-kway"), is a form of ad hominem fallacy that occurs when it is assumed that an argument is wrong if the source making the claim has itself spoken or acted in a way inconsistent with it. The fallacy focuses on the perceived hypocrisy of the opponent rather than the merits of their argument.
    Yeah...and I'd like that poster to show us where in the Bible she'd be stoned to death for being married 4 times. smdh

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by radiofriendly View Post
    Yep, pretty weird (disappointing) to see libertarians and even folks claiming to be anarchists (in the Mises vein) supportive of using force against someone in government not doing something - she was creating less bureaucracy.
    so she was refusing all marriage Licenses?

I 100% agree. Rand should have beaten Huckabee to the punch. This is a golden opportunity for Rand. It's the biggest news of the day and it's all on his turf geographically and politically. He doesn't need to make it personal about Kim Davis the woman. It's a states versus feds issue. And that should be precisely where Rand runs circles around all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    Kim Davis is a trashy fraud. Rand needs to stay far away, IMO.
    If everyone who has the courage of their convictions is required to be as pure as the driven snow, well then..... I'm screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by dillo View Post
    so she was refusing all marriage Licenses?
    Yes.

She's a holier than thou bible thumper. She should examine her own life and decisions before casting judgement on others and refusing to perform the duties she was elected to do on a taxpayer's salary.
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    She's a holier than thou bible thumper. She should examine her own life and decisions before casting judgement on others and refusing to perform the duties she was elected to do on a taxpayer's salary.
    She was not elected to issue same-sex marriage licenses. The rest of your post is irrelevant and for all any of us know not true.

And your name is "liveandletlive"...

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    And your name is "liveandletlive"...
    Yeah, quite ironic. More like "do what I say or else."

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And the bible thumpers come out of the woodwork. If she gave licneses out to everyone except for Christians, they would all be crying for the governments help. This lady should either give licenses out to everyone or no one. The only reason she didn't is because an old book told her not to. There's nothing libertarian about enforcing your religion on other people.

She was giving out licenses to no one. For Christ's sake, pay some $#@!ing attention before running your metaphorical mouth.

She's a Democrat, and 75% of people in her state (Republicans and Democrats) support her stance, along with the hundreds who showed up to rally for her. Even an abrasive atheist from my area backs her (see Chris Cantwell's piece in LRC today, or my recent blog post). Some here are letting their aversion to certain social circles color their judgment about supporting their rights. Do they object as hard when officials in sanctuary cities defy the federal immigration laws, or officials in legalized pot states defy the federal drug laws?

No one has an inalienable right to a government license, as a license is a privilege the government can choose to grant OR deny at its whim. Davis WAS exercising her elected duties when she decided not to grant the licenses. Her duties give her the power to choose to grant, OR to choose not to. Clerks and bureaucrats make 'determinations' to deny licenses and permits all the time, across the land. If people don't like her decisions, they can vote her out at the next election. Instead, the denied applicants ran to a federal judge to immediately and needlessly escalate the matter. THEY created this standoff, but didn't count on Davis standing her ground, or obtaining martyr status.

In the meanwhile, even 'holier than thou' people have basic liberty rights, and exercise of Davis's religious liberty rights should supersede the merely inconvenienced couples seeking a license, who could have just opted to go to another county. This case shows how litigative the PC side is, and that their tactics should be countered. Rand should utilize the Davis situation to 1) get more interview time, since it's a case from his own state, and 2) push for a broader application of the RFRA to cover Davis and others in her situation from being made needlessly subject to criminal or civil court litigation, or financial ruin for exercising their beliefs.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 09-07-2015 at 08:50 PM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I have to admit, I can't find much wrong with the Huckster's points on this issue:

Me neither. Somehow it is assumed the SCOTUS created a law to legalize marriage. But I haven't seen the law yet. Has anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Yes.
    So what was the point of her having a job if she wasn't handing out marriage liscenses? Did she turn away straight people?
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

So what was the point of her having a job if she wasn't handing out marriage liscenses? Did she turn away straight people?
    She was elected by the people prior to the SCOTUS ruling. But, none of us seem to know what the SCOTUS ruling did, exactly. The SCOTUS is there to interpret the Constitution... not to write law.. just to interpret it. So what changed the day of the SCOTUS ruling, from the day before? I have no clue. They did rule that same sex marriage was constitutionally allowed, but where is the law in each State allowing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    She's a Democrat, and 75% of people in her state (Republicans and Democrats) support her stance, along with the hundreds who showed up to rally for her. Even an abrasive atheist from my area backs her (see Chris Cantwell's piece in LRC today, or my recent blog post). Some here are letting their aversion to certain social circles color their judgment about supporting their rights. Do they object as hard when officials in sanctuary cities defy the federal immigration laws, or officials in legalized pot states defy the federal drug laws?

No one has an inalienable right to a government license, as a license is a privilege the government can choose to grant OR deny at its whim. Davis WAS exercising her elected duties when she decided not to grant the licenses. Her duties give her the power to choose to grant, OR to choose not to. Clerks and bureaucrats make 'determinations' to deny licenses and permits all the time, across the land. If people don't like her decisions, they can vote her out at the next election. Instead, the denied applicants ran to a federal judge to immediately and needlessly escalate the matter. THEY created this standoff, but didn't count on Davis standing her ground, or obtaining martyr status.

In the meanwhile, even 'holier than thou' people have basic liberty rights, and exercise of Davis's religious liberty rights should supersede the merely inconvenienced couples seeking a license, who could have just opted to go to another county. This case shows how litigative the PC side is, and that their tactics should be countered. Rand should utilize the Davis situation to 1) get more interview time, since it's a case from his own state, and 2) push for a broader application of the RFRA to cover Davis and others in her situation from being made needlessly subject to criminal or civil court litigation or financial ruin for exercising their beliefs.
    I'm putting this in another thread as well. Great points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    She was elected by the people prior to the SCOTUS ruling. But, none of us seem to know what the SCOTUS ruling did, exactly. The SCOTUS is there to interpret the Constitution... not to write law.. just to interpret it. So what changed the day of the SCOTUS ruling, from the day before? I have no clue. They did rule that same sex marriage was constitutionally allowed, but where is the law in each State allowing it?
    Specifically, where is the law in Kentucky that same sex marriage is law? What is the statute?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Specifically, where is the law in Kentucky that same sex marriage is law? What is the statute?
    I don't think you're going to get an answer on that one, Dianne. Huckabee made a good point there.... and shut Stephanopolis down!

I don't think you're going to get an answer on that one, Dianne. Huckabee made a good point there.... and shut Stephanopolis down!
    Agreed !! The entire thing is bs. And no one can cite a law anywhere that says same sex marriage is mandated in their State. This just proves how the media mind controls the sheeple... with the help of a few corrupt Judges.

This lady should be free right now... and sue the ass off that Judge who locked her up for contempt of court. She didn't violate any law.. the SCOTUS didn't create a law, because they can't !!

I wish we could join as a group, and demand impeachment of the Judge who sentenced her for contempt. It is not that I think she is a hero, but right is right and wrong is wrong.

Agreed !! The entire thing is bs. And no one can cite a law anywhere that says same sex marriage is mandated in their State. This just proves how the media mind controls the sheeple... with the help of a few corrupt Judges.

This lady should be free right now... and sue the ass off that Judge who locked her up for contempt of court. She didn't violate any law.. the SCOTUS didn't create a law, because they can't !!

I wish we could join as a group, and demand impeachment of the Judge who sentenced her for contempt. It is not that I think she is a hero, but right is right and wrong is wrong.
    The expression "Choose Your Battles"? This is one Rand should take, this is his State. He should fight this one tooth and nail... and get that woman out of prison, NOW !!

Did she turn away straight people?
    Have you recently suffered a head injury?

what Rand could so is introduce legislation limiting the ability of Federal judges to impose civil contempt jail sentences and fines.

Yeah...and I'd like that poster to show us where in the Bible she'd be stoned to death for being married 4 times. smdh
    Mark 10:12 "And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

Rand should have been stronger on this. Cruz, the great opportunist, will be visiting Kim Davis is prison today and Huckabee is holding a rally....really lost opportunity for Rand..don't understand his strategy at this point.

I think Huckabee is correct in his analysis...and to all those who think she should be in prison well why shouldn't the leaders of SF and all the other sanctuary cities in jail as well as all of the illegal immigrants...total hypocrisy as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by mello View Post
    Mark 10:12 "And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

You are trying to tie in and equate Mark's verse with the Leviticus verse. Disingenuous at best. Especially given that the Bible gives at least two examples of when divorce is acceptable. Moses issued certificates of divorce, and when Joseph found out that Mary was pregnant, he was going to privately divorce her. And then there's this:

Deuteronomy 24:1-4

1 If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, 2 and if after she leaves his house she becomes the wife of another man, 3 and her second husband dislikes her and writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house, or if he dies, 4 then her first husband, who divorced her, is not allowed to marry her again after she has been defiled. That would be detestable in the eyes of the LORD. Do not bring sin upon the land the LORD your God is giving you as an inheritance.

No stoning there....

And, unless you know Davis personally, you can't possibly know her reasons for divorce. The Bible also states: Judge not, lest ye be judged.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sorry did I offend your Zionist ass by asking a question?

Would "marriage " exist, if religion didn't invent and define it, in the 1st place

Did she turn away straight people?
    Yes. She stopped giving out licenses to any one.
    --------------------------------------------------------

I also feel Rand needs to show some kind of support for this woman since it is his own state.

I'd like to hear him describe the law that would allow same-sex couples to legally join together as a family unit, without appropriating and redefining the term "marriage" from religious groups.

Would there be such a thing as marriage, if assorted religions hadn't been performing them for thousands of years? I don't believe there would be, therefore, the inventor(s) of the concept (religions) are the sole definers of the term... forever.

Same sex couples who desire a pairing-contract can call it a marriage if they want to, but beyond the legal aspects of their contract, they are only imitating a popular heterosexual practice.

I'm sorry did I offend your Zionist ass by asking a question?

Jesus told me to tell you to stop posting, Netanyahu also. Now be a good Shabbos got and run along

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast