Thread: My Journey to Live Free

Smile My Journey to Live Free

I haven't been on this forum much in a while. I kinda took a hint from America that freedom is certainly not the desired goal of the country after seeing that they had the option in Ron Paul and summarily dismissed that option.

So I looked at my own life and how I could be truly free and began the steps toward making that happen.

Starting last year I began my 5 year plan toward living a free life.

I started by selling all of my possessions and downsizing my life into a carry on and backpack. I moved out of the United States and am renting a small apartment near work. My car is a cheap, fuel efficient car that I would not be worried about if I had to just leave it and move on.

I converted all of my savings into bitcoins. I am now paid 100% in bitcoins. I dropped my credit and debit cards and am working on dropping my bank account entirely.

My expenses are so small that I can save a lot of money, but I make sure to visit at least one new country every month so that I can enjoy life right now, experiencing life instead of worrying about what is happening all around the world.

During the first year it was about investing in my nest egg. I have enough bitcoins now that if they reach a price in the next few years that I think they will, I can retire. Over the next 4 years I plan on investing toward something that will create an income for me from here on out, a business that I can live off of for the foreseeable future. And finally be able to afford a catamaran that I can live aboard and go wherever I want in the world or in a seastead if that happens in the next few years.

Just living on bitcoin itself has been very freeing. And not worrying about possessions is just about the most refreshing thing I have ever done. I can pick up and move tomorrow and it would take me less than an hour to do so. Traveling with bitcoins is much easier than carrying gold or any other form of money. I figure that while parts of the world might go to hell, there will still be some places less affected that I can get to quickly. And living way below my means gives me the ability to take the risk on investments that could turn into a big reward without affecting my well being if they do not do well.

I am currently working with a bright team on a seasteading venture which is quite promising. Hopefully it works out and more people can join me in living free.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like an amazing adventure. I hope you'll keep us updated.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

That sounds great. It's harder to do with kids.

That sounds incredible!

but how do deal with visa's and passports and stuff. I thought the world going on lock down killed vagabonding.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    That sounds great. It's harder to do with kids.
    Everything is more difficult with kids, even going to a grocery store.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Everything is more difficult with kids, even going to a grocery store.

-t

You never shared (unless I missed it), the country you moved too.

and yet.. under your profile pic.. you still list Hudson Fl as location.. which is quite literally.. right up the street from me
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm also curious where you went. Your journey seems a bit similar to mine, which has brought me to the capital city of China, where I live. I'm not sure whether I want to move on eventually or just stay here, but both options are definitely on the table. Going back to the US is barely a thought in the back of my mind. I like it here and I feel like I have a life. Soon, perhaps, I'll try to post more about my experiences so people can get a feel for what it's like to live in other places and get off the treadmill and out of the US and be free for a change.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    I'm also curious where you went. Your journey seems a bit similar to mine, which has brought me to the capital city of China, where I live. I'm not sure whether I want to move on eventually or just stay here, but both options are definitely on the table. Going back to the US is barely a thought in the back of my mind. I like it here and I feel like I have a life. Soon, perhaps, I'll try to post more about my experiences so people can get a feel for what it's like to live in other places and get off the treadmill and out of the US and be free for a change.
    I know this is true but good God it's sad.....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I know this is true but good God it's sad.....
    That it is, Tod. That it is.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    You never shared (unless I missed it), the country you moved too.
    I live in Germany right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    but how do deal with visa's and passports and stuff. I thought the world going on lock down killed vagabonding.
    -t
    Most countries have tourist visas that are either free or really cheap. I've been all over Europe and I think Turkey was the only place I had to pay ($20) for a visa at the airport when I arrived.

As for work visa, I'm still tied to the US through my job working for the military. I look forward to being able to walk. But at least I don't have to pay taxes by living overseas more than 330 days of the year.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    I look forward to being able to walk. But at least I don't have to pay taxes by living overseas more than 330 days of the year.
    Good for you! I have a friend doing the same thing in Nigeria right now.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Just an update since it's been a few years.

5 years ago I set my goal to be able to buy a catamaran or live on a seastead.

I retired this past November, I had considered a catamaran but after attending the Blue Frontiers seasteading conference last May I saw that there is a high likelihood that they will get a seastead built so I plan on being one of the first people living on the seastead, a seasteading pioneer.

The plan is to get a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) set up in French Polynesia, likely on a remote island where we will have a lot of room to be free within a protected waterway. I moved to Tahiti and am doing what I can to get this thing going.

They will be having an ICO in May http://www.seacoin.global

after that the engineering and final legal stuff gets settled, we'll probably build a small village on the coast as we prepare for construction of the first seastead.

So what kind of job did you have to be able to do this? Some kind of online freelancing gig?

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    So what kind of job did you have to be able to do this? Some kind of online freelancing gig?

I am retired. By living a minimalist lifestyle I was able to put most of money into bitcoins over the past 5 years. With the price of bitcoin going over a few thousand dollars each I was able to retire. I continue to live a minimalist lifestyle, I could buy all sorts of expensive "stuff" but I have no desire to do so. Especially with the thought that anything I buy could make it more difficult for me to move easily to anywhere I want to go.

I also consider the thought that down the road transhumanism and medical technology will make it possible for humans to live hundreds or thousands of years. But we all know that the early versions of this will only go to those with money. I figure I might be able to survive long enough to see the beginnings of this technology and every bitcoin I spend now, literally takes years off of my life. I am able to enjoy life without wasting money on "things" so it works out.

Before retiring I worked for the evil military industrial complex. But by being mobile I was able to take the highest paying jobs all over the world (including a few years in Afghanistan). And also by being mobile, if I found a new job pop up that paid more I just picked up and left. Granted, I did have to put off relationships and sacrifice my personal relationships to achieve this goal.
    Last edited by Elwar; 03-31-2018 at 06:26 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maaan. Cool journey...

Sounds like you made it work... go forth.

Don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows