Thread: Three California Jail Guards Arrested and Charged w/ Murder in Inmate Beating Death Last Week

Three California Jail Guards Arrested and Charged w/ Murder in Inmate Beating Death Last Week

I guess in this "current climate" it's not as easy to drag these things out for months on end before the investigation is quietly dropped -- just have to file charges right away and worry about tampering with the jury pool later.

I never thought that Sandra Bland was murdered in jail -- but here's an example of what led some to think she may have been.

"Don't want to take your medication? Well, we'll just beat you to death, that'll fix your damned problems!"

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-cou...death-arrested

San Jose jail death: Sheriff condemns 3 correctional officers booked on murder in fatal beating

09/03/2015 09:13:36 AM PDT

SAN JOSE -- Three correctional officers were arrested on suspicion of murder Thursday for what Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith called the "violent and cowardly" in-custody beating of a mentally-ill inmate last week, an unusually swift development that also led to pledges to examine practices at the state's fifth largest county lockup.

Standing at a news conference flanked by her command staff, the five-term sheriff minced no words in condemning the three officers -- 28-year-old Jereh Lubrin, and 27-year-olds Matthew Farris and Rafael Rodriguez -- whose murder allegations have no precedent in the 165-year history of the Sheriff's Office.

"It is unmistakable that Jereh Lubrin, Matthew Farris and Rafael Rodriguez committed this cowardly and heinous act against an unarmed individual they were entrusted to protect," Smith said. "I made the decision after thoughtful consideration and consultation with our investigative team and command staff that the three accused must be taken off the streets as soon as possible."

Smith said she spoke privately with the family of the victim, 31-year-old Michael James Tyree, just hours after the arrests.

"I want to express my profound sorrow over the loss of Mr. Tyree," Smith said. "This violent and violent cowardly act that took Mr. Tyree's life is not indicative of the values we expect and honor with the men and women of this department."

The three were booked on suspicion of murder, assault under color of authority, and conspiracy. A source familiar with the investigation said they were transferred to a protective custody at a jail facility in Alameda County: out-of-county holding is typical for suspects who work in jails or have sensitive law-enforcement assignments.

When he died, Tyree was similarly being held in protective custody on the sixth floor of the Main Jail on West Hedding Street, owing to a probation violation stemming from a minor drug-related arrest from a year ago. He had agreed to a residential treatment program for substance abuse and was still awaiting transfer to a facility.

snip

Smith said that on the night of Aug. 26, Lubrin and Farris were conducting a routine clothing search of inmates' cells in the 6B wing, soon joined by Rodriguez. During the search, inmates were locked in their cells and the three officers were the only jail staff in the wing.

Tyree was in a single-person cell when he was searched, Smith said. After about 20 minutes, the three officers left the wing, and no other people entered.

An hour later, into the early moments of Aug. 27, Lubrin reentered the wing to conduct a routine welfare check and soon after issued a "man down" call on his radio after reportedly discovering the 5-foot-11, 150-pound Tyree on his cell floor naked, covered in feces and vomit, and unresponsive.

Smith said Rodriguez helped Lubrin pull the unresponsive Tyree out of the cell and perform CPR. Medical personnel soon followed, but they pronounced him dead about 12:35 a.m.

That was the entirety of the official narrative, and there was no known video of the interaction inside the cell. But several inmates who were also housed in the 6B wing reported seeing the three correctional officers go into his cell and then hearing him scream, "don't," "please, stop," "help," and "I'm sorry," before falling silent after the officers left, according to a relative of one of the inmates.

It was only after Tyree's body was discovered that the officers reported they used force to restrain Tyree because he refused to take his medication, according to a source familiar with the investigation. That was a breach of protocol, which requires that officers must immediately report any use of force and request medical care for the inmate.

At the Thursday news conference, county medical examiner Dr. Joseph O'Hara said Tyree suffered multiple blunt force injuries, including severe cuts to his liver and spleen.

"In short, he bled to death internally," O'Hara said, deeming the death a homicide.

snip
    Last edited by SeanTX; 09-03-2015 at 07:19 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "I made the decision after thoughtful consideration and consultation with our investigative team and command staff that the three accused must be taken off the streets as soon as possible."
    Got to keep the pressure on or this doesn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

You're an idiot to submit to the whims of sociopaths. Still waiting on indictments for those that scalded a prisoner to death back in 2012.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le1972693.html

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You're an idiot to submit to the whims of sociopaths. Still waiting on indictments for those that scalded a prisoner to death back in 2012.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le1972693.html
    How am I submitting to the whims of these sociopaths?
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

Peace.

whose murder allegations have no precedent in the 165-year history of the Sheriff's Office
    165 years...since before the civil $#@!ing war???

Not a single cop, not once, in 165 motherfucking years, was involved in a "bad shoot" and charged, let alone convicted???

This is the problem, right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    How am I submitting to the whims of these sociopaths?
    I think Phill is talking "in general".

His stance is that he will not allow cops to forcibly put him in custody, to be beaten, raped, abused, tortured and killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

His stance is that he will not allow cops to forcibly put him in custody, to be beaten, raped, abused, tortured and killed.
    ^^^ Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    ^^^ Yes. This.
    Oh, sorry.

It is frustrating how few of these cases ever result in charges and even fewer of the charges ever result in convictions. The system is a joke, but not the funny kind.

Peace.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 09-09-2015 at 01:58 PM.

A source familiar with the investigation said they were transferred to a protective custody at a jail facility in Alameda County: out-of-county holding is typical for suspects who work in jails or have sensitive law-enforcement assignments.
    That's nice.

The trio are also accused of assaulting another inmate, Juan Villa, on August 26 - the same night Tyree was found dead.
    [...]
    At 10.38pm, Lubrin and Farris are said to have started going cell-to-cell carrying out inspections, and ten minutes later were joined by Rodriguez.

Once they reached Villa's cell, it is claimed they challenged him over an earlier argument he had with another inmate before hitting him over the head and twisting his arms, leaving marks.

The trio are then alleged to have moved on before coming to Tyree's cell, where they could be heard ordering him to get up.

According to the documents, Tyree could be heard asking 'do I really need to stand up' before the sound of screaming began coming from his cell.

The papers say: 'Screaming could be heard for several minutes and was accompanied by the sound of thumping, wall banging, and what sounded like blows to a person's body.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3lGhselKm
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock