Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Massie on Kim Davis' refusal to issue marriage licenses to gay couples

Thomas Massie on Kim Davis' refusal to issue marriage licenses to gay couples

Rep. Thomas Massie said Wednesday Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis has a “moral” right to defy the Supreme Court and continue her refusal to grant marriage licenses to gay couples.

Massie said her allegiance is to Kentucky’s Constitution – not the high court’s June ruling legalizing same-sex marriage.

“When Mrs. Davis was elected, she swore an oath to Kentucky's Constitution which, as in 29 other states, contained a provision to protect traditional marriage,” Massie, R-Ky., said in a statement to the Enquirer.

“The spurious and un-American way in which the law, and therefore her job description, abruptly changed mid-term gives Mrs. Davis a moral, if not legal, defense for her actions until her next election and until a legitimate rewriting of Kentucky's marriage laws occurs during a legislative session with elected officials," Massie said.

More:
    http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...-way/71584648/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He continues to justify every dollar I've donated to him and never disappoints unlike someone else I've donated a bunch of money to.

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    He continues to justify every dollar I've donated to him and never disappoints unlike someone else I've donated a bunch of money to.
    Who? Lindsey Graham?

She absolutely has a moral right to express her view.

Of course, whoever is above her should fire her immediately. This is the same logic as unionization. You absolutely have every moral right to unionize. And the business owner(s) have ever right to fire you if you try.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Of course, whoever is above her should fire her immediately. This is the same logic as unionization. You absolutely have every moral right to unionize. And the business owner(s) have ever right to fire you if you try.
    you mean the voters? its an elected position.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    They should pass a law to make it impossible to fine her, then her bosses (the voters) could freely decide whether they want to fire her or approve of her performance.
    Last edited by jj-; 09-02-2015 at 07:57 PM.

YAY Thomas!
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

He's wrong. She swore an oath to defend the US Constitution as well. DO YOUR JOB OR QUIT, MISSY.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Homosexuals are inherently anti-liberty, period, end of story...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    He's wrong. She swore an oath to defend the US Constitution as well. DO YOUR JOB OR QUIT, MISSY.
    Ever read it? What makes you say she's violating the U.S Constitution?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Could always get rid of the position...

“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Of course, whoever is above her should fire her immediately.
    Why?

Has Kentucky yet passed any legislation requiring their clerks to issue same-sex marriage licenses?

It's not like she works for the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Ever read it? What makes you say she's violating the U.S Constitution?
    +1

I'd also like to hear PaleoPaul's reasoning on this.

Because the U.S. Constitution has so much to say about government authority over marriage.....

I completely support what she is doing. You don't just get to end the debate on a controversial issue because it hurts peoples' feelings (which is what the Supreme Court tried to do).
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    +1

I'd also like to hear PaleoPaul's reasoning on this.
    Because he's proud of his perversion, and he wants everyone else to be as well. Its really as simple as that. Again, open and proud homosexuals will never be pro-liberty. Just one more reason the perversion should be suppressed.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    Because he's proud of his perversion, and he wants everyone else to be as well. Its really as simple as that. Again, open and proud homosexuals will never be pro-liberty. Just one more reason the perversion should be suppressed.
    By whom?

Certainly not the federal government.

Last time I checked, there was nothing in the U.S. Constitution about gay marriage.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    By whom?

Certainly not the federal government.
    I'd ultimately support the local government suppressing it, but for now I'd settle for local governments ignoring their absurd requests for "marriage."

I agree, get the feds out of everything. I'm talking like county by county here...

While I normally like what Thomas has to say about things, I wonder what the reaction would be to a hardline Muslim DMV clerk who refuses to issue women drivers' licenses on the grounds of a religious objection?
    Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rothbardian Girl View Post
    While I normally like what Thomas has to say about things, I wonder what the reaction would be to a hardline Muslim DMV clerk who refuses to issue women drivers' licenses on the grounds of a religious objection?
    I've never heard of DMV clerks being an elected position

It seems there's an army of people on here that don't grasp that this is a state's rights issue legally, not a civil rights one. That's the ultimate lie that this entire decision is fabricated on, and most of the country has fallen for it.

Because obviously a clerk in California WOULD lose her job. Because in California it is legal. This is nothing but federal judicial fiat. I don't fault her for resisting. It's futile, likely, probably she'll have to quit, but she isn't wrong.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

How would they get the job in the first place without agreeing to perform the job duties? And wouldn't they just get fired for it?

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    It's futile, likely, probably she'll have to quit, but she isn't wrong.
    You may be right. But has Kentucky actually changed its state laws on this yet?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While I normally like what Thomas has to say about things, I wonder what [his] reaction would be to a hardline Muslim DMV clerk who refuses to issue women drivers' licenses on the grounds of a religious objection?
    I don't know - but whatever it might be, I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if it granted much if any authority to the Feds or SCOTUS, one way or the other ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    You may be right. But has Kentucky actually changed its state laws on this yet?
    I believe how it works is a federal judge simply declares the constitutional amendment defining marriage as 1 man 1 woman as "unconstitutional" and then if any clerk denies a license a judge has to order the clerk to comply and threaten contempt otherwise. The state government isn't legally obligated to enforce a federal legal interpretation when the entire state lawmakers are against it, I'm guessing.

So basically a federal judge will have to remove her by throwing her in jail.

We have same scenario in Kansas it's just all of our county clerks are complying with the federal judge's declaration that our Constitutional amendment is unconstitutional.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Oh, and she instructed her employees to NOT issue licenses. Another reason she should be held in contempt. It would be one thing if she alone was refusing to issue the licenses. But for her to instruct her entire staff to not issue the licenses? What about THEIR sincerely-held beliefs?
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

AP Breaking News app just said that a judge has ordered her to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    AP Breaking News app just said that a judge has ordered her to jail.
    Gosh!

Wonder what the Evangelicals are going to DO about this?

Bend over and spread 'em, those who stridently quote Romans 13.

Do ya' see where peaceful acquiescence gets ya'?
    Last edited by tod evans; 09-03-2015 at 11:49 AM.

That's exactly what she's doing, upholding the Constitution. She's been sent to prison for upholding the Constitution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast