Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Some Thoughts on Immigration

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    And you my dear are full of $#@!.

Now go out and play with the other children.
    Oh I do, I play with right minded friends at the range all the time.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanSpartan View Post
    Oh I do, I play with right minded friends at the range all the time.
    That's what I thought, a $#@!ing monkey from the concrete jungle..

It's no wonder you feel compelled to attribute positions not in evidence to those who would question your authenticity..

I see an urban hipster.........

Gun "ranges" are for cops and city dwellers......

That's what I thought, a $#@!ing monkey from the concrete jungle..

It's no wonder you feel compelled to attribute positions not in evidence to those who would question your authenticity..

I see an urban hipster.........

Gun "ranges" are for cops and city dwellers......

Not a hipster and I spend a great deal of time in the country, also any range is called a range you moron.

Please keep changing the subject.

Not a hipster and I spend a great deal of time in the country, also any range is called a range you moron.

Please keep changing the subject.
    The subject was you attributing positions not in evidence to those who would question your authenticity.

Which you have again failed to address....

Too much pollution in your air?

How well do your skin tight pink pants that aren't "hipster" go over at the range? Any better when you get adventurous and take a foray into "The Country"?

A Debate with Myself

Old Helmuth [This is a literal quote from myself, some years ago, with a few redactions]:

A different poster:
    But since you seem to be well versed in this subject, why is it that EVERY country I can think of, has some sort of immigration policy? You can't just drive into China, Russia, The Sudan, Ethiopia, Sweden, Afghanistan, can you? Don't all counties have laws regarding immigration? Or am I misinformed on this?
    This is a good question [poster] brings up. Does every country on earth have some sort of immigration policy -- that is, laws restricting immigration? Or are there, in fact, countries you can "just drive into"?

There are many blocks of countries allowing free or virtually free immigration between themselves. Notably, in mainland Europe one can drive to and fro with no notice of borders whatsoever other than perhaps a sign welcoming you, much like passing between states in the USA, and in South America the
    Mercosur Agreement allows free transit and trade (and relatively free immigration) throughout most of the continent. Argentina in particular allows free immigration. The government of Argentina welcomes the whole world to come there if they want, no hassles, no quotas, no restrictions. My Dad is in Brazil as we speak, and will be living there for much of the next couple years, doing some work down there. My Mom will be going too, and probably my brother. I could go too with virtually no difficulty. All the (fairly minimal) hassle would be on the US side, getting permission to leave (passport), not on the Brazil side.

As pointed out by another poster, the United Arab Emirates, including Abu Dhabi and Dubai, allow and encourage free and open immigration. Dubai's been built by millions of Bangladeshi laborers, to the benefit of all. Qatar seems to have fairly free immigration as well.

So, we are full of present-day examples of countries with unrestricted immigration doing well. These are not anarchies, they are just normal nation-states that happen to allow unrestricted immigration, either from a certain set of other nation-states, or from the whole world.

As far as examples from the broader swath of total human experience, bringing in the past, that is, rather than our tiny snapshot of time that is the present, the examples of countries with unrestricted immigration would be: basically every decent country in western civilization, when not at war. So, that's rather a lot of precedent for success.

Significantly for us Americans, the USA has had unrestricted (legally) immigration for the majority of its existence.

There are theoretical and practical points to be made on both sides of the immigration-restriction question, but often those on the free-immigration side focus on the theory while the restrictions-on-immigration side focuses on the practical. That is why I'm trying to, myself, focus on the practical side this time. There is a good practical argument to be made for unrestricted immigration. It has a good track record, centuries of success to back it up.

Restrictive immigration policy is an innovation, a new thing, which came about only recently along with the rise of the total states in the 20th century. I would claim that this radical idea, along with so many other of the totalitarian innovations, has not proved very successful.
    Last edited by H_H; 03-19-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H_H View Post
    This is a good question [poster] brings up. Does every country on earth have some sort of immigration policy -- that is, laws restricting immigration? Or are there, in fact, countries you can "just drive into"?

There are many blocks of countries allowing free or virtually free immigration between themselves. Notably, in mainland Europe one can drive to and fro with no notice of borders whatsoever other than perhaps a sign welcoming you, much like passing between states in the USA, and in South America the
    Mercosur Agreement allows free transit and trade (and relatively free immigration) throughout most of the continent. Argentina in particular allows free immigration. The government of Argentina welcomes the whole world to come there if they want, no hassles, no quotas, no restrictions. My Dad is in Brazil as we speak, and will be living there for much of the next couple years, doing some work down there. My Mom will be going too, and probably my brother. I could go too with virtually no difficulty. All the (fairly minimal) hassle would be on the US side, getting permission to leave (passport), not on the Brazil side.

As pointed out by another poster, the United Arab Emirates, including Abu Dhabi and Dubai, allow and encourage free and open immigration. Dubai's been built by millions of Bangladeshi laborers, to the benefit of all. Qatar seems to have fairly free immigration as well.

So, we are full of present-day examples of countries with unrestricted immigration doing well. These are not anarchies, they are just normal nation-states that happen to allow unrestricted immigration, either from a certain set of other nation-states, or from the whole world.

As far as examples from the broader swath of total human experience, bringing in the past, that is, rather than our tiny snapshot of time that is the present, the examples of countries with unrestricted immigration would be: basically every decent country in western civilization, when not at war. So, that's rather a lot of precedent for success.

Significantly for us Americans, the USA has had unrestricted (legally) immigration for the majority of its existence.

There are theoretical and practical points to be made on both sides of the immigration-restriction question, but often those on the free-immigration side focus on the theory while the restrictions-on-immigration side focuses on the practical. That is why I'm trying to, myself, focus on the practical side this time. There is a good practical argument to be made for unrestricted immigration. It has a good track record, centuries of success to back it up.

Restrictive immigration policy is an innovation, a new thing, which came about only recently along with the rise of the total states in the 20th century. I would claim that this radical idea, along with so many other of the totalitarian innovations, has not proved very successful.
    OK, I appreciate the attention to the practical side of things. Reality is too often neglected in favor or elegant theorums (theori?). Let's take these examples you have presented:

Europe: How is that working out for them lately? Has this policy been causing some discomfort and upheaval lately?
    South America: Well, I don't know that Mercosur is causing many problems for them, at least not that I've heard of. Not like Europe. So good for them.
    Argentina: They were basically open-borders, yes, but have they continued this policy? I'm not sure. Plus, they have been having major economic and corruption problems and so not many people want to come there. I don't think their net immigration numbers are positive (flowing in) for the past two decades.
    United Arab Emirates and Qatar: They allow you to visit, but not to become a citizen. So, a lot different than the USA's situation. This permitting of people to come in and live but not own property or have any rights creates a two-tiered society, which is probably highly undesirable from a long (or even medium) term point of view. It only works if you're planning on sending the second-class underclass home packing after you're done using them. So it's a short-term exploitation play.
    Historically, every decent country in western civilization, when not at war: Hmm, probably true to an extent, but only an extent. The loci of power were much more at the feudal lord level for most of Western Civ's history. So sure, nation-states weren't restricting immigration, because they didn't exist yet. The monarchies weren't restricting immigration, because the monarchs were not in charge of a whole lot (by a modern's scale). But did the feudal lords exert any say regarding who could and who could not come and farm on their green, rolling estate? Just a little? You bet your mud-digging stick they did! Total and absolute dictatorial immigration control! That was the rule, throughout Western Civilization.
    The US of A: Noice! You save your knock-out punch for last! Indeed you could saw there were few restrictions, in some senses, in the 1800s USA. However, in other senses, there were quite a lot of restrictions.

The main thing I'd like to ask is this:

OK, maybe some countries allow lots of immigration into them, or even have no legal restriction on it whatsoever. But, here is the important thing: does that policy help them? Or does it hurt them?

That would be the important thing to figure out, logically speaking, yes? You can say "The UAE is a horrible, inhospitable desert" and "The 1800s USA had a lot of dysentery" but that does not prove that inhospitable deserts are the ideal place to build good societies (if, indeed the UAE is a good society. Doubtful.) nor that Dysentery Is What Built This Country and What America is All About!

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    OK, I appreciate the attention to the practical side of things. Reality is too often neglected in favor or elegant theorums (theori?). Let's take these examples you have presented:

Europe: How is that working out for them lately? Has this policy been causing some discomfort and upheaval lately?
    South America: Well, I don't know that Mercosur is causing many problems for them, at least not that I've heard of. Not like Europe. So good for them.
    Argentina: They were basically open-borders, yes, but have they continued this policy? I'm not sure. Plus, they have been having major economic and corruption problems and so not many people want to come there. I don't think their net immigration numbers are positive (flowing in) for the past two decades.
    United Arab Emirates and Qatar: They allow you to visit, but not to become a citizen. So, a lot different than the USA's situation. This permitting of people to come in and live but not own property or have any rights creates a two-tiered society, which is probably highly undesirable from a long (or even medium) term point of view. It only works if you're planning on sending the second-class underclass home packing after you're done using them. So it's a short-term exploitation play.
    Historically, every decent country in western civilization, when not at war: Hmm, probably true to an extent, but only an extent. The loci of power were much more at the feudal lord level for most of Western Civ's history. So sure, nation-states weren't restricting immigration, because they didn't exist yet. The monarchies weren't restricting immigration, because the monarchs were not in charge of a whole lot (by a modern's scale). But did the feudal lords exert any say regarding who could and who could not come and farm on their green, rolling estate? Just a little? You bet your mud-digging stick they did! Total and absolute dictatorial immigration control! That was the rule, throughout Western Civilization.
    The US of A: Noice! You save your knock-out punch for last! Indeed you could saw there were few restrictions, in some senses, in the 1800s USA. However, in other senses, there were quite a lot of restrictions.

The main thing I'd like to ask is this:

OK, maybe some countries allow lots of immigration into them, or even have no legal restriction on it whatsoever. But, here is the important thing: does that policy help them? Or does it hurt them?

That would be the important thing to figure out, logically speaking, yes? You can say "The UAE is a horrible, inhospitable desert" and "The 1800s USA had a lot of dysentery" but that does not prove that inhospitable deserts are the ideal place to build good societies (if, indeed the UAE is a good society. Doubtful.) nor that Dysentery Is What Built This Country and What America is All About!
    The less free a society is the less it has to fear from unrestricted immigration, America is freer than the rest of the world so if they all flood in here we will be dragged down to their level, in addition the freer a society is the more prosperous it will become and that will attract more people, potentially more than can be assimilated.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

This is the complete opposite of reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

How many people are logged in at Stormfront at any one time, I wonder.

Is it not very many?

I would assume that it's at least a good order of magnitude more than here.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    How many people are logged in at Stormfront at any one time, I wonder.

Is it not very many?

I would assume that it's at least a good order of magnitude more than here.
    Not quite an order of magnitude. 5x-ish. And more than a couple logged in to both sites simultaneously.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    And more than a couple logged in to both sites simultaneously.
    Don't you log in to Democratic Underground? You voted for Hillary Clinton, right?
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Don't you log in to Democratic Underground? You voted for Hillary Clinton, right?
    Didn't you create a bunch of fake DU accounts for people?

I seem to recall people talking about that.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Didn't you create a bunch of fake DU accounts for people?
    Yep. And it was hilarious to watch the paid, DU trolls here whine when someone finally started to shove their own game back in their faces.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-23-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Oh tod, sweet, innocent tod.

No, it is not, it is true,

As you understand Demographics is destiny, and in the end of universal suffrage, and since we live in a democracy the majority gets what it wants.

So if they become the majority they will get what they want.

What do they support, well lets take a look, shall we?

We are taking in people who are from the most primitive cultures, who have a serf like mentality, and are large unable to understand or have the prerequisites for Liberty. These people are largely not assimilating and then we are even more of them.

Most immigrants come from countries where the government plays a larger role in the economy and society. Their support for expansive government is reinforced by liberal elites in immigrant communities and the liberal urban areas in which so many settle.

Further, immigrants’ liberalism often reflects self-interest, as many benefit from affirmative action and welfare. Unfortunately, some immigrants are also attracted to the Democratic Party’s support for identity- and grievance-based politics.

He are some of their views.

They vote 8-2 for Democrats.

Think your gun rights are safe?

So not only are you going to be stripped of being the majority but you will be stripped of the power of your vote, are replaced, have your property/wealth voted away, and then have your right and means to self defense stripped away from you as your are surrounded by the dregs of the 3rd world that were imported for no other reason then to displace and replace you...But you think we, those that are trying to stop this are the bad guys?

Sorry if you can not understand self defense, self
    preservation and the preservation of our nation, culture, country, future and the continuation of Liberty is not "bigotry", I have no idea why you value the love and adulation of those that would enslave or destroy more then those that are fighting for you.
    This is the kicker

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump
    Pinochet is the model

This is the complete opposite of reality.
    Hey, I, Old Helmuth, was just going along with another poster's assertion, and this was many years ago. What's the reality then? Could you tell us? Are you saying it's really hard to get in? Visas hard to come by? That is not my experience. I myself have been to the dry and oily peninsula. But that's just a sample of one. So enlighten us.

And fact is that it is hundreds of thousands/millions of immigrants from south Asia who did(/are doing assuming it's still under construction) the grunt construction work for Dubai etc. Are you not considering them "immigrants" for some esoteric reason of your own? If so, please share.

Anyway, the point was, these are countries with huge numbers of fairly low-skill immigrants flooding in -- in fact brought in intentionally, by policy -- and yet their economies are doing pretty good. They are nice countries to live. They are getting better and better, in fact, in tandem with more and more immigration. So what's the problem? How are you going to say there's a problem with mass immigration?

Hey, I, Old Helmuth, was just going along with another poster's assertion, and this was many years ago. What's the reality then? Could you tell us? Are you saying it's really hard to get in? Visas hard to come by? That is not my experience. I myself have been to the dry and oily peninsula. But that's just a sample of one. So enlighten us.

And fact is that it is hundreds of thousands/millions of immigrants from south Asia who did(/are doing assuming it's still under construction) the grunt construction work for Dubai etc. Are you not considering them "immigrants" for some esoteric reason of your own? If so, please share.

Anyway, the point was, these are countries with huge numbers of fairly low-skill immigrants flooding in -- in fact brought in intentionally, by policy -- and yet their economies are doing pretty good. They are nice countries to live. They are getting better and better, in fact, in tandem with more and more immigration. So what's the problem? How are you going to say there's a problem with mass immigration?
    The UAE has neither free nor open immigration. The reason that you did not have any problem getting a tourist visa is because policies vary based upon the nationality of the person seeking the visa and because tourism is not immigration.
    Last edited by TheCount; 08-31-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Pinochet is the model

The UAE has neither free nor open immigration.
    Uhh, if the emirates have closed immigration as you say, wouldn’t that make it impossible for a million Bangladeshis to be there? I don’t get it. What are you saying? The only thing that comes to mind is that, as I postulated, you may have some esoteric definition of immigration such that these Bangladeshis are excluded.

Most people’s definition of “closed,” though, does not mean “letting tons of foreigners in.” That sounds more like a wide-open door than a closed one.

But again, I don’t know much about the situation and am happy to be enlightened by you and then enhance my opinion accordingly.

(edit: Just fixed the color, that's all)
    Last edited by H_H; 02-17-2020 at 07:57 PM.

Interesting perspective;

Uhh, if the emirates have closed immigration as you say, wouldn’t that make it impossible for a million Bangladeshis to be there? I don’t get it. What are you saying? The only thing that comes to mind is that, as I postulated, you may have some esoteric definition of immigration such that these Bangladeshis are excluded.

Most people’s definition of “closed,” though, does not mean “letting tons of foreigners in.” That sounds more like a wide-open door than a closed one.

But again, I don’t know much about the situation and am happy to be enlightened by you and then enhance my opinion accordingly.
    There is a gradient of options between "free and open" and "closed."
    Pinochet is the model

I'm glad you recognize that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Interesting perspective;

I always knew the savages justly earned that moniker.

They should be thankful we gave them central heating and Casinos.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm glad you recognize that.
    Whenever you feel like it, find a post of me advocating either.
    Pinochet is the model

Whenever you feel like it, find a post of me advocating either.
    You rarely commit to an absolute open borders position but you accuse anyone who want's tighter controls of wanting absolutely closed borders.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Wow. All that. And then it turns out to be just an autistic grammar/usage post. Sigh. It even so happens I actually used the word “fairly.” Guess that didn’t help ya. I know it’s hard to understand spectrums when you’re on the spectrum, but boy. Wow. This was ridiculous.

So thank you, TheCount, for pointing out the shocking revelation that the UAE is not ancapistan and has some sort of regulations and laws regarding immigration. Fact Check!!1!, lol. Nice work, dude. Fact check accomplished.

Do you see, guys? Can you blame me? Seriously.

Wow. All that. And then it turns out to be just an autistic grammar/usage post. Sigh. It even so happens I actually used the word “fairly.” Guess that didn’t help ya. I know it’s hard to understand spectrums when you’re on the spectrum, but boy. Wow. This was ridiculous.

So thank you, TheCount, for pointing out the shocking revelation that the UAE is not ancapistan and has some sort of regulations and laws regarding immigration. Fact Check!!1!, lol. Nice work, dude. Fact check accomplished.

Do you see, guys? Can you blame me? Seriously.
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.
    Pinochet is the model

You rarely commit to an absolute open borders position but you accuse anyone who want's tighter controls of wanting absolutely closed borders.
    What are 'tighter controls?'
    Pinochet is the model

What are 'tighter controls?'
    What is the meaning of "What"?

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Having come across this, I was suddenly shocked and awed to see American Spartan: true Americun.

What is the meaning of "What"?
    Exactly.

This isn't a policy prescription, it's an emotional kneejerk.
    Pinochet is the model

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast