Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Most Iowa GOP voters don’t care if a candidate has any specific policy ideas

I vehemently oppose ALL state-sanctioned marriages, gay, straight, or otherwise. I am appalled at the very idea of going to government begging permission to be wed.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The crux of this matter is that essentially the majority of GOP voters are willfully ignorant. This isn't news to me, I have a whole family full of them and they get pissed off whenever I point out that either Trump or Rubio have taken liberal positions, it's almost as if I'm attacking them personally by trying to get them to think critically.
    Last edited by hells_unicorn; 09-02-2015 at 01:03 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    He didnt fail to, is the point. Neither of them did. they are the base.

And the base, like my very own parents, always take the hour out of their day to go vote for the R because "We gotta keep the D out"

Do you even realize what "base" implies? This means it is the foundation...in other words, the ones you can always count on no matter what.

If they need mobilization...they arent the base, though they may share similarities with like-minded base voters.
    The Republican who can increase the Evangelical turnout, or deepen the GOP/Dem split in the demographic will win the election. Romney was a Mormon who flip-flopped on abortion and was the first Governor to sign gay marriage into law. Some Evangelicals came out simple to vote against Obama, but many didn't.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Anybody who would vote for a President and not give a damn about his policies or political philosophy, is not our base.
    I hope you're okay with losing every single election, then. The vast majority of the electorate are ignorant plebes; those are the people one has to placate in order to get the Presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I hope you're okay with losing every single election, then. The vast majority of the electorate are ignorant plebes; those are the people one has to placate in order to get the Presidency.
    I understand it. I still hate pragmatism. Its one of those things that only make sense with the faith beliefs I have though.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Abandoning all principles is not a prerequisite for winning an election. If it were so, Ron Paul would have never served in Congress, and Rand Paul would have never been in the Senate. The only reason to claim that you have to abandon all principles to win an election, is if you have a guy you like, who has no principles.

Also, this is a status quo bias. You think that just because things have been a certain way all of your lifetime, that means they can only be that way. On the contrary, Grover Cleveland won on principle. Abraham Lincoln may have violated his principles, but he ran and won on principle. Calvin Coolidge ran and won on principle. Ronald Reagan ran and won on principles. GWB even though he pissed on all of his proclaimed principles not minutes after taking office, actually ran (and won) on principles.

Winning a Presidential campaign based on principles is not unheard of at all.

The challenge is doing so in the age of corporate mass media. Well, it's a challenge if they know you actually do stand on those principles...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I understand it. I still hate pragmatism. Its one of those things that only make sense with the faith beliefs I have though.
    I don't care much for pragmatism myself either, I consider it a lower rung on the ladder of man-made philosophy. Sadly, it's the official religion of the USA, so we'll all be stuck dealing with it and adjusting tactics because of it for the foreseeable future.

Abandoning all principles is not a prerequisite for winning an election. If it were so, Ron Paul would have never served in Congress, and Rand Paul would have never been in the Senate. The only reason to claim that you have to abandon all principles to win an election, is if you have a guy you like, who has no principles.
    I'm not saying he should abandon all principles, I'm saying he should find what strategies work within the principles he's established.

Also, this is a status quo bias. You think that just because things have been a certain way all of your lifetime, that means they can only be that way. On the contrary, Grover Cleveland won on principle. Abraham Lincoln may have violated his principles, but he ran and won on principle. Calvin Coolidge ran and won on principle. Ronald Reagan ran and won on principles. GWB even though he pissed on all of his proclaimed principles not minutes after taking office, actually ran (and won) on principles.

The vast majority of the electorate is incredibly ignorant. No one even argues this; democracy advocates can't claim that voters are well informed, so they have to argue that somehow the system balances out in the end. If you want to win the Presidency in the modern era, you have to make your principles accessible and desirable to stupid plebes. Ronald Reagan is an example of someone who did that well.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    I don't care much for pragmatism myself either, I consider it a lower rung on the ladder of man-made philosophy. Sadly, it's the official religion of the USA, so we'll all be stuck dealing with it and adjusting tactics because of it for the foreseeable future.
    I'm tempted by total political dissent, honestly. I hate this society and don't really want to interact with it or help it avoid its collapse.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    there's an old rule of thumb ratio when it comes to elections. Several decades ago people did a study on what struck voters most about the politicians after a debate. The numbers were 70% remembered what a politician looked like, 20% remembered what he sounded like and only 10% remembered what he said. if you want to understand how to win, you have to understand this type of psychology. This is why millions are spent on commercials. This is why politicians speak in soundbites and not chapters. this is why successful politicians find a few issues and repeat them over and over and over again. Rand needs to find three issues and make them his own. One has to be some take on jobs and more importantly getting higher salaries, two should be immigration and three can be anything he wants. I would stay away from the NSA because I dont think its an overriding issue in the GOP primary. Maybe in the general if we are that lucky. I would go with protecting religous rights in this country. God, Cash and the enemy at our door. To me thats a winning set of issues but he could pick something else

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    The majority of Republican voters still believe that Obama is a Muslim. That says it all.
    I'm one of them. The Iranian deal alone, giving Iran multi billions and halting their nuclear bomb capability to ten years and allowing them to monitor their own nuclear bomb facilities... And with a name like Barack Hussein Obama, why wouldn't a reasonable, mentally capable person surmise he is a Muslim?

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    No one has a "fear". We just want to keep OUR OWN culture that we have in the U.S.
    exactly
    Last edited by adissa; 07-26-2016 at 12:46 PM.

I'm not saying he should abandon all principles, I'm saying he should find what strategies work within the principles he's established.

The vast majority of the electorate is incredibly ignorant. No one even argues this; democracy advocates can't claim that voters are well informed, so they have to argue that somehow the system balances out in the end. If you want to win the Presidency in the modern era, you have to make your principles accessible and desirable to stupid plebes. Ronald Reagan is an example of someone who did that well.
    No, I agree that voters are obscenely stupid, and more so every election. I figure Trump has a real shot at winning, because: Idiocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    Jon Huntsman was right.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    How do you know he's not?
    Because based on his rhetoric, he sounds more like a secular humanist atheist.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

I think Rand needs to go back and watch Ron's debate performance and start using the same rhetoric that Ron used. He just has to figure out a way to get all of Ron''s supporters on board and I truly believe if he can he'll win Iowa and possibly New Hampshire and damn it would just roll from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12