Thread: Rand Paul says KY clerk’s marriage protest is ‘part of the American way

Rand Paul says KY clerk’s marriage protest is ‘part of the American way

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has given a mixed endorsement to a home state county clerk whose refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples has become national news.

"I think people who do stand up and are making a stand to say that they believe in something is an important part of the American way," Paul told Boston Herald Radio during a three-day campaign swing through the Northeast.

When asked about Rowan County, Kentucky clerk Kim Davis's ongoing refusal to issue licenses, in defiance of the Supreme Court's 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges ruling, Paul's campaign pointed to his Monday interview with the conservative Herald. The question was succinct, asking if Paul "back[ed] Kim Davis and her religious right" to defy the ruling. Paul's answer took him across the plains of legal theory before ending with the "making a stand" statement.

"I think one way to get around the whole idea of what the Supreme Court is forcing on the states is for states just to get out of the business of giving out licenses," Paul said. "Alabama has already voted to do this, they’re just no longer going to give out licenses. And anybody can make a contract. And then if you want a marriage contract you go to a church. And so I’ve often said we could have gotten around all of this also in the sense that I do believe everybody has a right to a contract."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...-american-way/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nullification, interposition... Kentucky Resolution, anyone?

cmon rand. dont give me that wishy washy crap. yes its a libertarian idea that your father espoused but you're in a hunt for the presidency and you need to get some momentum. ted cruz is going to snap up all the voters that could be going to you with that kind of half hearted answer. just say the supreme court was wrong. its not their business to define what marriage is. quote scalia. and take the side of the religious here in their fight against the govt. christians are now facing jail time and loss of work over their beliefs. are they supposed to become second class citizens in this new age. take up the banner and fight for them. do that and you will legitimize yourself in the eyes of many conservatives. out cruz cruz on this one

He should quote Thomas, not Scalia. Thomas is the only justice with a grounding in natural law.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    He should quote Thomas, not Scalia. Thomas is the only justice with a grounding in natural law.
    That's not accurate.

I agree it's part of the American way. Now stop issuing the rest of the marriage licenses too
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    I agree it's part of the American way. Now stop issuing the rest of the marriage licenses too
    I think she has actually stopped issuing all marriage licenses. She is being sued by a gay and straight couple. I just have to wonder if Rand would still be saying the same thing if this clerk had stopped issuing all concealed carry permits or all license plates. Just making life a living hell to the people living in her country

I mean, its always cool when someone with govt power does something you agree with but hurts as hell when that same person is using it to stand in the way of something that you support. Like I said in my other post, the woman should carry on her protest at the unemployment line

easy way to defend her. just say she will follow the law of the land on gay marriage when obama follows the law of the land on illegal immigration and securing our borders. tie the two together

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I really like how he makes a suggestion to the various states of how they might deal with this. But, I also agree with goldwater's ghost. Republicans like strong men. Rand needs to show that more. He has it in him for sure.

But, please Rand, don't do like your father and use your candidacy for merely teaching.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    That's not accurate.

You make no argument to back your assertion, therfore I must assume it is no more than ignorant blather.

You should read more of Thomas and his opinions to cure your ignorance. His dissent in this case would be a good start.

You make no argument to back your assertion, therfore I must assume it is no more than ignorant blather.

You should read more of Thomas and his opinions to cure your ignorance. His dissent in this case would be a good start.

Not necessarily relevant here but Rand has said Thomas is by far the Justice most in line with view of the judiciary.

I would like to see Rand get a question in the debates about what kind of judges he would appoint. It is an issue where Rand is really much different and much better than everyone else. He is also very knowledgeable and passionate about this stuff. It would be nice if he would discuss Lochner and explain how Cruz takes the wrong position which ultimately lead him to be a big booster of John Roberts' nomination. It is an issue he could knock out of the park if he came in ready and scripted for it.

"I think one way to get around the whole idea of what the Supreme Court is forcing on the states is for states just to get out of the business of giving out licenses," Paul said. "Alabama has already voted to do this, they’re just no longer going to give out licenses. And anybody can make a contract. And then if you want a marriage contract you go to a church. And so I’ve often said we could have gotten around all of this also in the sense that I do believe everybody has a right to a contract."
    Rand is on the money with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    It would be nice if he would discuss Lochner and explain how Cruz takes the wrong position which ultimately lead him to be a big booster of John Roberts' nomination. It is an issue he could knock out of the park if he came in ready and scripted for it.
    lol, I find it perplexing that someone could think the electorate will follow that argument.

Both Scalia and Thomas are natural lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I think she has actually stopped issuing all marriage licenses. She is being sued by a gay and straight couple. I just have to wonder if Rand would still be saying the same thing if this clerk had stopped issuing all concealed carry permits or all license plates. Just making life a living hell to the people living in her country

I mean, its always cool when someone with govt power does something you agree with but hurts as hell when that same person is using it to stand in the way of something that you support. Like I said in my other post, the woman should carry on her protest at the unemployment line
    Fair point.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Sorry to get into your discussion - that's a statement, not an argument.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    lol, I find it perplexing that someone could think the electorate will follow that argument.
    Ron Paul managed to discuss the Federal Reserve. I'm not sure anyone got what he was saying but he tried.

I think Rand could he explain Lochner and his view of the judiciary in under a minute if he were on his game. That is why I said it had to be scripted and on point. In my view it is a way more important issue for a libertarian society than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Ron Paul managed to discuss the Federal Reserve. I'm not sure anyone got what he was saying but he tried.
    He was running an educational campaign. He explained it mostly in speeches, not in debates. And it's easier to explain. So for these 3 reasons I'm sure Rand won't succeed at what you're proposing. Not because he is incapable, mainly because the electorate won't follow.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Sorry to get into your discussion - that's a statement, not an argument.
    There doesn't need to be an argument. Both Scalia and Thomas are natural lawyers.

Rand is on the money with this.
    Better yet, secede. Seriously, this country is so messed up and our churches are filled with idolatry of it. It needs to go away...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Well played, if you ask me.
    Sanity Check Radio Show
    http://www.SanityCheckRadioShow.com

He needs to attack the institution of government marriage as racist in its founding and talk about it in abolition terms.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

You are some special kind of clueless dip$#@!. Natural law is the basis of the freedom philosophy and of these United States. Justice Thomas is a scholar of and proponent of natural law. Scalia is a critic of natural law.

It's kind of shocking that someone posting on RonPaulForums could be so ignorant of the basics of freedom and liberty.

You are some special kind of clueless dip$#@!. Natural law is the basis of the freedom philosophy and of these United States. Justice Thomas is a scholar of and proponent of natural law. Scalia is a critic of natural law.

It's kind of shocking that someone posting on RonPaulForums could be so ignorant of the basics of freedom and liberty.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil