Thread: Mises Circle - "Against PC: Creating a Culture of Liberty" (October 3rd @ Dallas-Fort Worth)

Mises Circle - "Against PC: Creating a Culture of Liberty" (October 3rd @ Dallas-Fort Worth)

h/t Lew Rockwell @ LRC: https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...l-correctness/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Rockwell
    Despise Political Correctness?

And the leftists who seek to build the state, in the horrific Plato-Rousseau tradition, through enforcing the anti-human, anti-market, anti-freedom evil of egalitarianism? Then join Tom Woods, Tom DiLorenzo, Jeff Deist, and me at an anti-PC summit in Ft. Worth, Texas, on Saturday, October 3, 2015. Go here to register. The price is just $95, including lunch. Students are welcome on scholarship.
    Mises Circle in Dallas-Fort Worth
    October 3, 2015 - 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
    https://mises.org/events/mises-circle-dallas-fort-worth

Students see scholarship application process at bottom of page. [see here: https://mises.org/events/mises-circle-dallas-fort-worth]

Join Lew Rockwell, Tom Woods, Tom DiLorenzo and Jeff Deist in Dallas-Fort Worth to discuss Against PC: Creating a Culture of Liberty.

Special thanks to Klaas and Anastasia Talsma for making this event possible.

Sessions and lunch take place at the Hurst Conference Center, 1601 Campus Drive, Hurst Texas. Driving directions and parking information are here. Attire is business-casual. Please email pat@mises.org if you wish to reserve a vegetarian lunch; otherwise the menu is gluten-free, paleo-friendly chicken and vegetables. To reserve accommodations at the Hyatt Place Fort Worth/Hurst, 2 blocks from the Conference Center, please call 817-577-3003 before September 11 and mention Mises Institute for a special rate of $109 per night plus tax, single or double.

More reservation information here.

Tentative Schedule
    9:00 - 10:00 a.m. Bookstore open, registration, coffee
    10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Sessions, discussion
    3:30 p.m. Bookstore closes

The Mises Bookstore will be on site, and speakers are happy to autograph books.

Student Scholarship Applications

Students wishing to apply for a scholarship for sessions and lunch should submit an application and student ID by registering/logging in to the Mises Academy, going to Applications and completing all parts of the Student Event Scholarship Application Form.

The Mises Institute conducts Mises Circles, one-day informative seminars around the country. These events are wholly sponsored by freedom loving, concerned people who want to bring new ideas to their community and businesses. To sponsor a Mises Circle in your region, please call Kristy Holmes at 800-636-4737 or email her.

To inquire about the status of your Membership, call 800-636-4737.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am loving the new focus in the libertarian sphere against political correctness. And, for that matter, in the general news and media, too.

Down with political correctness! Down with egalitarianism! Down with the "melting pot"!

Up with discrimination! Up with voluntary segregation! Up with liberty!

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I am loving the new focus in the libertarian sphere against political correctness.
    . . .
    I hope this forum in Dallas gets some media coverage as well.
    But it is a stretch to say that this idea has gotten any footing in the media . . .
    it seems to me political correctness is everything now - only have to look as far as Fox News

Is it PC to shoot a lion with bow and arrow on a hunt in Africa -
    or is it PC for Rand to stand in front of the NSA Data Collection Center ? It is endless PC as I see it, unfortunately.

Well, I don't actually watch the mainstream news, so my view on what's happening on it is.... well let's just be blunt: worthless. My impression is based mainly on the articles and conversations on RPF, LewRockwell.com, and a few other online sites. From them, I got the impression that Donald Trump is saying a lot of politically-incorrect things, attempted crucification brigades mobilize predictably each time, and yet the attempts are not sticking.

It's as if the Ron Paul Newsletters came to light, and Ron Paul was asked about them in a press conference, and he said, "Sure, what's the problem? Black men do run fast; try watching an NFL or NBA game some time. And blacks do commit far more crimes in this country than whites -- it's all right there in the government reports for anyone who can read. Can you reporters read? Were you ever taught to read, or only to write?"

"Anyway, if you don't like these particular truths, tough. I'm here to tell the truth. I'm not going to tiptoe around and worry about political correctness. This country's in trouble. We don't have the time for political correctness."

It's as if Dr. Paul responded this way... and then he zoomed up to the top of all the polls! With overwhelming 30%, 40% support!

Now maybe the Trump incorrectness has not been as big a thing in the mainstream news cycle as it has been on the online sites I visit. Someone who watches that stuff will have to inform us. But it has been a big, prominent thing online. And, big or small, I find it a highly salubrious development.

UPDATE: You can get FREE admission is this event by following Tom's instructions at the 26:50 mark in the following recording of The Tom Woods Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjxje-B-XLo

T-minus 15 hours & 40 minutes ...

Coming Saturday Morning: Mises Circle Livestream from Dallas-Ft Worth
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...llas-ft-worth/

Join the Mises Institute for Saturday’s Mises Circle in Dallas-Ft. Worth via our livestream. The event, “Against PC: The fight for Free Expression,” begins at 10 AM central time.

Video links here at the YouTube MisesMedia page. [or see below - OB]

Schedule:

10:00 a.m. Jeff Deist “PC is Control, not Etiquette”
    10:30 a.m. Tom DiLorenzo “How Universities Silence Truth — And What We Can Do About It”
    11:00 a.m. Q&A
    11:30 a.m. Lunch, Mises Bookstore open
    1:00 p.m. Tom Woods “Political Correctness and the Argument from Intimidation”
    1:30 p.m. Lew Rockwell “The Egalitarian Menace”
    2:00 p.m. Q&A

START TIME: 10:00 AM CDT (SAT 03 OCT 2015)
    Against PC: The Fight for Free Expression [Part 1 of 2]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfOUze2fJrk

START TIME: 1:00 PM CDT (SAT 03 OCT 2015)
    Against PC: The Fight for Free Expression [Part 2 of 2]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdjKsQXJ4AY
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 10-02-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Tom Woods coming up in 30 minutes (see the 2nd live stream video in the previous post).

If you use Twitter and you have questions for the Q&A speakers panel (at 2:00 PM CDT), you can tweet your question using the tag #MisesCircle

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Saw this in the chat on youtube.

misesmedia
    "Bernie Sanders Is Wrong!" by Tom Woods

misesmedia
    To receive Tom's free book, text Bernie to 33444
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I am loving the new focus in the libertarian sphere against political correctness.
    And the lefties would see you flayed alive for such opinions.

Years ago I spent some time at revleft.com just to observe and on occasion yank the chain. The lefties not only express their explicit approval of PC, they seek to have its elements codified into law. No, I am not joking, judging by the output at revleft. Those people are not right in their heads. And typical of the left, when I failed to suck the great schwanz of their philosophical position, they showed me the door.

And, for that matter, in the general news and media, too.
    It's always nice to see it, but what effect is it having? For a while there, some years ago I thought perhaps there was some glimmer of hope, particularly with the young. That spark appears to have vanished. Very sad.

Down with political correctness! Down with egalitarianism! Down with the "melting pot"!
    Heresy!

Up with discrimination! Up with voluntary segregation! Up with liberty!
    BURN THE WITCH!!

I have wasted endless breath in my attempts to make this very point with people. The sad fact is that they are not interested in freedom.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Good presentation, though I take issue with him referring to "******" as "n-word". Could anything be more PC than that? Degrades credibility, and that is a shame because the presentation is quite good. His definition of "PC" is on the money.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

How Universities Silence Truth - And What We Can Do About It | Thomas J. DiLorenzo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS3ttzqTBqA

Political Correctness and the Argument from Intimidation | Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-T7Cg9nzg

The Egalitarian Menace | Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rPFmCD---Y