Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt McKinley

Mt McKinley

Trump has already said he will change it back (he reacts to everything it seems)

this could win Ohio for the GOP, but cost Alaska.

have others spoken their views?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A lot of major mountains in America have really bad names. Colorado in particular. Mt. McKinley isn't a particularly great name, but it is hell of a lot better than Denali.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    A lot of major mountains in America have really bad names. Colorado in particular. Mt. McKinley isn't a particularly great name, but it is hell of a lot better than Denali.
    Why?
    "The Patriarch"

Forrest Trump: "Someone shot that man."

The people in that state called it Denali years before McKinley.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Why?
    Weak sounding, silly name. Sounds like the result of a session of corporate brainlessstorming to pick the name of a car (which actually happened). Mountain names should be either extremely masculine or sensual and erotic. Denali is neither. McKinley has the virtue of at least being slightly masculine.

Weak sounding, silly name. Sounds like the result of a session of corporate brainlessstorming to pick the name of a car (which actually happened). Mountain names should be either extremely masculine or sensual and erotic. Denali is neither. McKinley has the virtue of at least being slightly masculine.
    Do you live in Alaska?
    "The Patriarch"

I think changing it has more to do with McKinley's support of the gold standard than it does Alaska clamoring to call it Denali. If it were called Mt. LBJ, the name would stick forever even if 100% of all Alaskans wanted it changed.

- ML

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't get the foofaraw here. I admit when I first saw that Obama was going to change the name I was highly annoyed until I looked more deeply at the situation. Apparently Alaska has called it Denali for well over 100 years. Alaskan natives have called it Denali for over 500 years. They have been petitioning Congress to call it Denali for 40 years. Whatever happened to the conservative principle of local control? I hate Obama as much as any red blooded American, but this is ridiculous. One of my guiding philosophies as a legislator was to cede as much power and authority as I could to the most local authority I could find. If a town wanted to do things differently than the State, then who am I to tell them they can't? If Alaska wants to call the mountain "Denali" then who is some jerk in Ohio to tell them they can't? Let Alaska do what the hell they want to with their own mountain, for heaven's sake.

Somewhere I missed that when I read the rule book for mountain names. At least Denali has cultural roots. Just because it isn't Western doesn't make it weak.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    Somewhere I missed that when I read the rule book for mountain names. At least Denali has cultural roots. Just because it isn't Western doesn't make it weak.
    I'm sure RonPaulMall has it somewhere.
    "The Patriarch"

Should screen names sound like a pack of cigarettes?
    "The Patriarch"

"Denali" means "the Great One."

Not masculine??

Last edited by YesI'mALiberal; 09-01-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Indeed.

"RonPaulMall" reeks of dubious character and ambiguous sexual orientation.

We demand you change your screen name PRONTO, or we shall know without a doubt that you, sir, are no lover of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    Indeed.

"RonPaulMall" reeks of dubious character and ambiguous sexual orientation.

We demand you change your screen name PRONTO, or we shall know without a doubt that you, sir, are no lover of liberty.
    Picking your own name is for wimps.

I'll side with Alaska on this one, though I'm not entirely sure what a mountain is.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Havnes View Post
    You don't need a rule book. Just good taste. And a name doesn't have to be "Western" to be good. The Russian "Bolshaya Gora" is probably the best of Mt. McKinnley's three names. Nor is it the case that all Indian names are bad. Idaho, Utah, Texas, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Manhattan, Malibu, Mauch Chunk- all great Indian names. But Denali? It sucks. Sounds like an Italian tampon brand.

Names should be masculine like Krugminator and Trump. These effiminate beta cuck names like Denali invite the tough and smart Chinese leaders to rip us off with bad trade deals.

Quote Originally Posted by YesI'mALiberal View Post
    "Denali" means "the Great One."

Not masculine??
    That cuck priss Gretzkey was dependent on people with tough sounding names like Marty McSorely to protect him.

How about Big Titty Mountain?

Does that meet all your qualifications.

Mountains being masculine seems counterintuitive.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I don't get the foofaraw here. I admit when I first saw that Obama was going to change the name I was highly annoyed until I looked more deeply at the situation.
    Because Obama. And because not very many people outside Alaska will look any further into the history of the name. These would likely be the same people who think Mt. Everest is in the U.S.

By the time the primaries start happening, nobody will even remember that this happened. I'll file it under unimportant. I'm a gold standard guy myself, but the name of a mountain has zero impact on said policy being superior to Keynesian paper worship.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    How about Big Titty Mountain?

Does that meet all your qualifications.

Mountains being masculine seems counterintuitive.
    Grand Teton is probably the best mountain name in the United States. But if it wasn't in French it wouldn't work. "Big Titty" just sounds crude- the opposite of sensual and erotic.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I didn't realise the President had the power to name mountains.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't really see the power delegated to Congress to name things either. From a purely Constitutional standpoint, that power would appear to be reserved to the States to name whatever geographical features reside within their own borders.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    I didn't realise the President had the power to name mountains.
    Congress can name buildings and parks I guess . . . but naming mountains (?) . . .
    Obama has to be the first - and President Trump will - by Executive Order or whatever proclamation -
    would be second I guess when he renames it back to Mt. McKinley. *sigh*

"After all, without government, who would name the mountains after war criminals?"

Mt. McKinley to Revert to the Older Name of "Denali"
    https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...ame-of-denali/
    Ryan McMaken (31 August 2015)

The Feds have decided that Mount McKinley in Alaska should revert to its older name of “Denali.” The State of Alaska had already abolished the McKinley name back in 1975, so the latest move merely recognizes local usage.

Some lawmakers from Ohio (McKinley’s home state) are mad about it, apparently. They’re pretty gung ho, it seems, about defending a man who invaded the Philippines and brutally suppressed a rebellion there, leading to the deaths of over 100,000 men, women, and children through battle and disease. McKinley, a religious zealot who claimed that God told him to annex the Philippines, also thought it fitting to kill tens of thousands of Catholics in order to “Christianize” them.

And lest we think that McKinley was merely reflecting the prejudices of his time, let’s remember that McKinley’s war faced significant opposition in the US, including opposition from William Jennings Bryan, Mark Twain, Andrew Carnegie, Ernest Crosby, and other members of the American Anti-Imperialist League. The opposition also included American engineer and entrepreneur Edward Atkinson who urged American soldiers in the Philippines to mutiny against their officers. McKinley was a brutal colonialist even by the standards of his own time and place.

McKinley was also a protectionist who supported raising taxes, and he, like Theodore Roosevelt after him, favored greater federal regulation of business.

For Ohio politicians, however, none of that matters, nor does it matter what Alaskans want to call their own mountain, which is about three thousand miles from the Ohio border. It’s up to Congress to decide what every mountain in the US is to be called, the Ohioans say. After all, without government, who would name the mountains after war criminals?

(Next, Pikes Peak in Colorado should revert to its older name, “El Capitán.” The Arapaho called it “Heey-otoyoo.” A Comanche, Ute, or Cheyenne name would work well, too.)
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-01-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

This act is honestly a result of white guilt. The west (right or wrong) conquered the land that is now North America. Places were renamed and things were changed. Accept history or jump head first into globalism. As for this poster, I choose Mt. McKinley.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    This act is honestly a result of white guilt. The west (right or wrong) conquered the land that is now North America. Places were renamed and things were changed. Accept history or jump head first into globalism. As for this poster, I choose Mt. McKinley.
    yes, I see this as a future poll question from Quinni U - should Denali be renamed Mt. McKinley ?

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    Obama isn't white.
    "The Patriarch"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast