Thread: AK - Mt. McKinley is no more

Exclamation AK - Mt. McKinley is no more

Obama to rename tallest U.S. peak in historic Alaska visit

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/30/politi...limate-change/

Anchorage, Alaska (CNN)To hear the White House describe Alaska, the state has become the canary in the climate change coal mine, complete with raging wildfires, accelerating ice melt in the arctic, vanishing glaciers and whole villages forced to relocate away from rising seas.

President Barack Obama will carry that urgent message to Alaska this week in the hopes his long journey away from his busy agenda in Washington will begin to change the national conversation on global warming.

His first step while he's there: officially renaming the country's tallest mountain from Mt. McKinley to Denali, an historic nod to the region's native population, which the White House says is under threat from the already-present threat of climate change.

"This is all real. This is happening to our fellow Americans right now," Obama said in his weekly address Saturday.

All week long, Obama will try to call attention to Alaska as a kind of climate change ground zero. Whether it's a hike on a melting glacier near the town of Seward or his visit with a fisherman in the remote coastal village of Dillingham, the President wants a distracted public to see the jarring effects of global warming through his own eyes.

To maximize the impact of the historic trip, which will make Obama the first sitting U.S. president to visit the arctic, the White House plans to devote all of the resources of its potent social media operation.

It's also using the trip to formalize the Denali name change, which native Alaskans have sought for decades. Named McKinley in 1896, shortly after President William McKinley was nominated as a candidate for office, the 20,320-foot peak has long been known locally as Denali, its name in the indigenous Athabascan language.

The national park that surrounds the mountain was named Denali in 1980, but the peak itself is still listed in official federal documents as McKinley. Past attempts to make the change were blocked by lawmakers from McKinley's home state of Ohio.

Political leaders across Alaska, including both U.S. senators and the governor, backed the name change.

Obama is set to meet Monday with members of the native population to discuss ways the federal government can help them prepare for the effects of a changing climate, which the White House says include interrupted winter hunting seasons, newly hostile conditions for fish and wildlife and seawater encroaching on long-settled territory.

"The issue of climate change is not an issue of the future tense in Alaska, it is affecting people's lives and their livelihoods in real ways," White House senior adviser Brian Deese said in a preview of the three-day trip.

During a conference call with reporters, Deese laid out the administration's latest data on the climate challenges facing Alaskans.

The arctic has warmed almost twice as fast as the rest of the world and portions of northern Alaska have lost a "football field's worth of land a day to coast erosions and sea-level rise," Deese said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had thought the name was changed a while ago.

Next he's going to Hawaii to give back the islands and remove the military... right after he closes Gitmo...

A little lip service to native people. Love it.

"Let me be perfectly clear, you conquered people should be afraid of the weather, not this government"
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 08-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Well I approve of the name change, but how about we give the land back to Alaska
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Don't you mean Russia? You can see Russia from there you know. And Russia used to own it until we bought it from them.

This is great news for peak baggers! Now they can bag two amazing peaks in AK.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Climate change predictions remind me of crazy Bible prophecy, apocolypse stuff. "The oceans will rise, the lands will burn. Pestilence, and plague, starvation and death will rule over all. Only obedience and subservience to Gov will save us from the hellfire."

It's a religion. Not a good one either, an end-of-days death cult. They have a cardboard cutout of a scientific theory so fragile it cannot be questioned. Phony intellectuals embrace it like they're told to, convinced that what they are taught in school is unquestionable fact. They can hardly use their brains to solve the puzzle, and realize it's all a facade.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First they shoot him in the stomach now they take his mountain.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Mt. McKinley to Revert to the Older Name of “Denali”
    Ryan McMaken

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...ame-of-denali/

The Feds have decided that Mount McKinley in Alaska should revert to its older name of “Denali.” The State of Alaska had already abolished the McKinley name back in 1975, so the latest move merely recognizes local usage.

Some lawmakers from Ohio (McKinley’s home state) are mad about it, apparently. They’re pretty gung ho, it seems, about defending a man who invaded the Philippines and brutally suppressed a rebellion there, leading to the deaths of over 100,000 men, women, and children through battle and disease. McKinley, a religious zealot who claimed that God told him to annex the Philippines, also thought it fitting to kill tens of thousands of Catholics in order to “Christianize” them.

And lest we think that McKinley was merely reflecting the prejudices of his time, let’s remember that McKinley’s war faced significant opposition in the US, including opposition from William Jennings Bryan, Mark Twain, Andrew Carnegie, Ernest Crosby, and other members of the American Anti-Imperialist League. The opposition also included American engineer and entrepreneur Edward Atkinson who urged American soldiers in the Philippines to mutiny against their officers. McKinley was a brutal colonialist even by the standards of his own time and place.

McKinley was also a protectionist who supported raising taxes, and he, like Theodore Roosevelt after him, favored greater federal regulation of business.

For Ohio politicians, however, none of that matters, nor does it matter what Alaskans want to call their own mountain, which is about three thousand miles from the Ohio border. It’s up to Congress to decide what every mountain in the US is to be called, the Ohioans say. After all, without government, who would name the mountains after war criminals?

(Next, Pikes Peak in Colorado should revert to its older name, “El Capitán.” The Arapaho called it “Heey-otoyoo.” A Comanche, Ute, or Cheyenne name would work well, too.)

From what I have read. On the state level they have called it Denali since 1975, but because federal level Mt. Mckinley.

As far as the mountains name...honestly I don't care. As a flatlander I will just see it as an annoying big stupid rock. Rocks are stupid and I hate them.
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    AK - Mt. McKinley is no more
    Don't despair.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Don't despair.

Who cares about Ohio?

Well , you can buy a 1916 or 17 McKinley gold US dollar if it makes you feel better , in Extra Fine , they start ,oh , around 500 dollars . For a 599 dollar retainer in 1980's Silver Eagles , gold , cash or check , I can look around for you .......
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-31-2015 at 11:34 PM.

Trump will undoubtedly name it after himself.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Who cares about Ohio?
    Good point , best I can tell , under US treaty , most of Ohio still belongs to the Shawnee , Miami, etc , so I should get all electoral votes...., nobody cares what welfare voters in cleveland want, pfft .Those pussies are one week from starving as God intended.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sweet, going to AK this week. First vacation in years. Just scheduled a flight to fly around the mountain. Its been called Denali since forever anyway.