Thread: Ice cream that does not melt 'could soon hit the shelves'

Ice cream that does not melt 'could soon hit the shelves'

Ice cream that does not melt in the sun could hit the shelves within three years, scientists have claimed.

Experts believe they have developed a recipe for a more robust frozen desert that will consign childhood memories of sticky hands and dissolving cones to history.

It is based on a naturally occurring protein that binds together the air, fat and water in ice cream to make it more resistant to melting.
    The new ingredient should create firmer, longer lasting ice cream that will keep it frozen for much longer in hot weather.

The scientists, from the Universities of Dundee and Edinburgh, said it could also prevent gritty ice crystals from forming, ensuring a fine, smooth texture more reminiscent of luxury ice creams.

The development could also allow products to be manufactured with lower levels of saturated fat and fewer calories.

Prof Cait MacPhee, an experimental biomolecular physicist at the University of Edinburgh who led the project, said: "We're excited by the potential this new ingredient has for improving ice cream, both for consumers and for manufacturers."

The researchers developed a method of producing the new protein, which occurs naturally in some foods, in friendly bacteria. It works by adhering to fat droplets and air bubbles, making them more stable in a mixture.

They said the protein could be processed without loss of performance and could be produced from sustainable raw materials.

Manufacturers could also benefit from a reduced need to deep freeze their product, as the ingredient would keep ice cream frozen for longer.

Dr Nicola Stanley-Wall, a molecular microbiologist from Dundee University, said: "It has been fun working on the applied use of a protein that was initially identified due to its practical purpose in bacteria."

The experts said that exactly how long one might have to demolish a cone would depend on several factors, including the type of ice cream and the weather. They estimate that ice cream made with the ingredient could be available within three to five years.

The protein, known as BslA, was developed with support from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...e-shelves.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Walmart is ahead of the game...

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Boy that's gotta be some good stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Boy that's gotta be some good stuff!!

sounds a lot like xanthan gum

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The ice cream isles at my local grocery stores are already mostly crap like this. Look close and 75% of the "ice cream" is actually labelled "frozen dairy desert" because they legally can't call it ice cream. It doesn't really melt either. And is disgusting.

Gotta go with the "gourmet" brands anymore to get good ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Walmart is ahead of the game...
    So is McDonald's.

Lots of places use mashed potatoes in their commercials, because it looks like ice cream but doesn't melt under the photographic lights. But most of them have enough sense not to dip mashed potatoes, cover it in hot fudge, and try to sell it to the public that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

There are a lot of new modified starches out there that can create some pretty interesting textures for desserts and such.. stuff like ultratex, etc..

Frozen ice cream dots aren't bad, either, at least they don't taste bad. They might have some bad stuff in them, I dunno. Admittedly it's hard to beat good, classic made ice cream with real ingredients. My favorite is a local purveyor who uses grass-fed cream.

I'll hold out judgement, it could actually be good and might not pose any health risks. But I will remain skeptical that this is a good thing until I'm able to taste it and until most alternative health organizations agree that it is probably safe to consume.
    Last edited by dannno; 08-31-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What for? Ice cream is best when it is just a little bit melted, then you stir it together.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

looks like someone found a use for silly putty
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

So what is the remaining non-melting "ice" part?

I was at first on the "No" page, but if it can prevent those ice crystals that make ice cream taste old, then I'm open to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I was at first on the "No" page, but if it can prevent those ice crystals that make ice cream taste old, then I'm open to trying it.
    Old ice cream?
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

They can call it what they want- but it won't really be ice cream. Any more than fat free half and half should still be called half and half.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Old ice cream?
    Freezer burn.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Freezer burn.
    Ice cream doesn't last long enough around here to get burned.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Old ice cream?
    Freezer burn, like Gunny said. It's more prevalent at convenience stores that have those smaller freezers, but could happen anywhere when there is a defective freezer, or some $#@! does not close the door completely. You can tell it's bad if the container is soft, or if it is hard, but the top is bulging (meaning they fixed the freezer, but did not discard the product). It gets worse over time when the freezer cycle is too long- the cream separates from the water, so the top part is still having that ice crystal crunchiness, while bottom of the container has milk-flavored slush that expands when frozen, leading to the bulging top.

loveshiscountry

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    What for? Ice cream is best when it is just a little bit melted, then you stir it together.
    You mean a milkshake?

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Freezer burn, like Gunny said. It's more prevalent at convenience stores that have those smaller freezers, but could happen anywhere when there is a defective freezer, or some $#@! does not close the door completely. You can tell it's bad if the container is soft, or if it is hard, but the top is bulging (meaning they fixed the freezer, but did not discard the product). It gets worse over time when the freezer cycle is too long- the cream separates from the water, so the top part is still having that ice crystal crunchiness, while bottom of the container has milk-flavored slush that expands when frozen, leading to the bulging top.
    Yes and no. My first job was dipping ice cream. Fact is, ice cream must be stirred the whole time it is being made or the water will separate and freeze into those crunchy crystals. Likewise, if it melts, it can be brought back to creamy perfection, but it must be stirred the whole time to come out right. Can't exactly call it freezer burn. Ice cream could be kept well below freezing for an eternity without doing that. The cream might get funky eventually, but there will be no crunchy ice crystals. You are right, CPUd, when you say it comes from thawing and refreezing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.