Thread: Gage Skidmore! The Most Prolific Political Photographer You’ve Never Heard Of

Thumbs up Gage Skidmore! The Most Prolific Political Photographer You’ve Never Heard Of

Fantastic!!!

One college student provides the Internet with photos of everyone from President Obama to Paul Rudd—all for free.

August 31, 2015 At the Young Americans for Liberty national convention, a gathering of roughly 350 college-aged libertarian activists, former Rep. Ron Paul takes the stage to loud chants of "End the Fed!" and "Paul! Paul! Paul! Paul!" from the crowd. They eventually take their seats and Paul moves through a winding speech, touching on everything from the Iran deal to Bernie Sanders. The one constant throughout the speech: the quiet, rapid-fire click of a camera's shutter.

The sound comes from the camera of a 21-year-old college kid.

Chances are, you've seen one of his photos, but haven't heard the name of one of the most widely published political photographers in America. Gage Skidmore's work has appeared in major publications like The Washington Post, The New Republic, our sister publication The Atlantic, and yes, National Journal, as well as small one-man blogs across the Web. Even Donald Trump's official campaign website uses Skidmore's photographs.

The secret to the Arizona-based Skidmore's success is not just that he's a good photographer. It is that most of his work is both online and free for just about anybody. Skidmore releases most of the photos he takes on the photo-sharing service Flickr under a Creative Commons attribution license, which allows anyone to use his photos—even commercially—as long as they give him proper credit.

Why does Skidmore release his photos for free, when he could be charging for them? "Creative Commons to me is a vehicle to provide greater exposure for my photographs," said Skidmore. "I want my photos to be used."

And that has been a fairly successful strategy. A Google search of "Gage Skidmore" turns up a whopping 469,000 results—about 407 times the number of hits if you were to Google my name.

Skidmore's most common subject is presidential candidate Rand Paul, who appeals to his own political interests. Skidmore became interested in politics via his support for Paul's father, Ron Paul, in early 2007, and from there he turned his support (and his lens) towards Rand Paul.

"Naturally my fondness and appreciation of Ron Paul led to my interest in covering Rand Paul, and he was only a short car drive from me in a neighboring state, and the rest is history," said Skidmore, who lived in Indiana at the time. "I covered his [2009 Senate] campaign every couple weeks as I was still attending high school for the better part of a year, learning still how to even use a camera, and it has sort of blossomed into other projects from there."

The soft-spoken photographer has continued to photograph the younger Paul since then, and he said the photos that he releases under a Creative Commons license have been frequently used by the Paul presidential campaign in its social-media efforts. But the father-son pair aren't the only politicians Skidmore shoots. Since his first shots in 2009, many more have crossed in front of Skidmore's lens. He has photographed both President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama, along with Mitt Romney and most of the 2016 field.

Skidmore's favorite photograph of the at least 35,000 photos he has on his Flickr account is one he took of Rand Paul during the 2013 CPAC conference. "He paused during his speech, and had a very genuine smile," Skidmore said of the picture.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-...rd-of-20150831
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great job Gage!
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Looks like he's taken way *over9000* pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Yay!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Nice to see him recognized like this
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Way to go Gage
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

You worked hard for this, Gage. I foresee a fabulous career for you.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Congrats Gage!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

awesome!!! gage has been in the trenches from the start..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

I can always tell when it's a Skidmore. Most talented photog out there, AFAIC!

Congrats and well done, Gage!

Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

YAYYY!!!! ~hugs gage~ *applauds raucously*
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I told him that one day he would be famous, and he kinda shrugged, just like the article describes! Then he bowled 3 strikes in a roll and smiled
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I can always tell when it's a Skidmore. Most talented photog out there, AFAIC!
    Agree, when I'm searching through photos or see one used online you can just tell which are Gage's because they are so much better.

Congrats on the well deserved recognition.

"Oh wow, you're the Gage Skidmore?" the other attendee asked. "No way! I follow you on Flickr. I'll see you on the campaign trail."

Thanks guys!

Also, if you didn't know, I'm currently doing a fundraiser in order to continue these photography trips covering Rand Paul, if you'd like to contribute here's the link: http://igg.me/at/stand-with-liberty/x/6350577
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Congrats Gage.

It is that most of his work is both online and free for just about anybody. Skidmore releases most of the photos he takes on the photo-sharing service Flickr under a Creative Commons attribution license, which allows anyone to use his photos—even commercially—as long as they give him proper credit.

Why does Skidmore release his photos for free, when he could be charging for them? "Creative Commons to me is a vehicle to provide greater exposure for my photographs," said Skidmore. "I want my photos to be used."
    Xerographica's head will spin around in circles, if he reads this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Awesome! THE Gage Skidmore!

I skid more, the older I get.
    Underwear budget is getting out of control!
    Last edited by RonPaulIsGreat; 09-01-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Gage is a great activist. I always enjoy meeting him at events.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Congratulations Gage!
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/05/hi...about-bernie-s

In a Reason mag photo credit today.

Wish he'd stop by and say hello.