Thread: Are college students the solution to Rand's campaign woes? Article

Are college students the solution to Rand's campaign woes? Article

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ar...rticle/2571085

Pretty good read. Campaign says things are going well. Anyone here a chapter leader for students for Rand Paul?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A solution? No. A start at rebuilding the coalition his father had put together? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by kbs021 View Post
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ar...rticle/2571085

Pretty good read. Campaign says things are going well. Anyone here a chapter leader for students for Rand Paul?
    I have an interview with someone from Students for Rand tomorrow, about possibly leading a chapter. I'm not sure if I have the time, but we are going to talk about that. If they like me I can get the ball rolling in my area for sure.

Pretty excited. I'm putting together some plans, even if I don't lead the chapter I will be participating for sure. I'm happy to do either .
    When you know Its name, you know pride.
    It is our nature, It is man.
    Yet It is ripped from our souls, so
    When you know Its meaning, you feel pain.
    [ama-gi]
    Don't despair MAN:
    It is our nature, It will return to you.
    It will keep your heart beating, and soon It will overcome.

Young people will never be more than a secondary factor. To rely on them to be any more than that is a bad idea.

Students may not make up a large voting block, but they are the one's with enthusiasm and that will volunteer.

Each chapter will "recruit new supporters, organize events, and mobilize students to vote for Rand Paul," according to the Kentucky senator's campaign. Ultimately, Paul hopes to establish an organized presence of supporters on every college campus in the U.S.
    According to Maloney, the Kentucky senator's presidential campaign has already received applications from students interested in starting chapters on their campuses from all 50 states as well as the Virgin Islands, Guam and Puerto Rico.

"We're going to be knocking on doors and making calls," Maloney told the Washington Examiner. "We're not just looking to get people excited, we're looking to get them plugged in."
    They're the group the campaign can use to phone bank, set up info booths, go door to door, collect signatures, organize rallies and whatever other volunteer work is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
    Students may not make up a large voting block, but they are the one's with enthusiasm and that will volunteer.
    yawn

I don't think the youth vote is a "solution" but it should not be discounted the way it often is.

While older voters are between 1.5x-2.0x (usually 1.7x) more likely to vote, are they 1.0x likely to vote for Rand? or Ron? given the choices?

If the youth vote is 1.7x more likely to vote Rand, then its a fair bargain. Its a better bargain if the older folks 65 and up are predisposed to dislike Rands policies as many suspect is the case.

I think he should work to capture all ages, but its pretty silly to discount the Pauls' efforts with my demographic. The polling shows that the youth vote is a cheap "buy" for Rand. It would be irresponsible not to cash in on it.

That is just my 2 cents.
    When you know Its name, you know pride.
    It is our nature, It is man.
    Yet It is ripped from our souls, so
    When you know Its meaning, you feel pain.
    [ama-gi]
    Don't despair MAN:
    It is our nature, It will return to you.
    It will keep your heart beating, and soon It will overcome.

More to the point, Iowa is a caucus state.

So, you have an older person in the room, and they understand how the nation used to work, and know first hand how it no longer works as well, but is stuck on the MSM and has no clue what Rand Paul really stands for.

And a young person stands up, and says he supports Rand, and this older person yawns, and then wakes up to this young person saying things that used to be common knowledge but somehow got forgotten.

We've seen it happen. Twice. I wish there was a university in every Iowa precinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Young people will never be more than a secondary factor. To rely on them to be any more than that is a bad idea.
    True, but you have to start somewhere. Right not, Rand is pulling about half the support his father did. Galvanizing the college vote would help get him closer to Ron's numbers.

the college students are focused on Bernie Sander's free college plan. unless there is a war, with threat of a draft, that won't change

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    the college students are focused on Bernie Sander's free college plan. unless there is a war, with threat of a draft, that won't change
    The college students are not a monolithic bloc. They are individuals dumped in together by some demographic or another that the mainstream media likes to tell you stories about in order to divide and conquer us.

We have supporters in every demographic under the sun. The media wants us to give up on three quarters of these demographics. But we need every vote we can get, we need every principled and erudite Iowa caucusgoer we can get, and we need to turn off the TV and do what's right for us.

There are such things as students who can see past next semester's tuition bill.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I had an interview about starting a chapter, today. Don't know if I got the position yet but they seemed pleased . The "worst" thing that could happen is that there is someone better than me. And that is just as awesome in my eyes as it would be to land the position.

We talked a little about the structure of SFR. I can't get into specifics but I am totally "psyched". This is going to be bigger than I imagined. And I thought it was big before.

Quote Originally Posted by farrar View Post
    I had an interview about starting a chapter, today. Don't know if I got the position yet but they seemed pleased . The "worst" thing that could happen is that there is someone better than me. And that is just as awesome in my eyes as it would be to land the position.

We talked a little about the structure of SFR. I can't get into specifics but I am totally "psyched". This is going to be bigger than I imagined. And I thought it was big before.
    That's awesome! Glad to hear that. That really pumps me up.

If anybody can figure out how to get the 18-24's to actually go to the polls and vote we'll have a real shot at this thing.

I just interviewed for chapter president of UNC Chapel Hill... As farrar mentioned, I can't get into specifics, but I am equally psyched... This is gonna be really big. The person I interviewed with told me that there were several other people who interviewed to be chapter president, and it's exciting knowing that there are more out there. I think the college movement could be huge, and I'm ready to help in any capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonderdonk View Post
    I just interviewed for chapter president of UNC Chapel Hill... As farrar mentioned, I can't get into specifics, but I am equally psyched... This is gonna be really big. The person I interviewed with told me that there were several other people who interviewed to be chapter president, and it's exciting knowing that there are more out there. I think the college movement could be huge, and I'm ready to help in any capacity.
    Yea man! Sounds great! Here we go, the campaign is firing it up. Man this makes me wish I was still on a campus. If anyone here needs help, ideas, etc. Let me know! We need to win the college vote overwhelmingly.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah! Any advice would be great... In fact, it might be good to have an "advice for college students" thread. Those of us who are in college now were not in college when Ron was running in 2012, so we're completely new to this...
    Last edited by Jonderdonk; 09-03-2015 at 11:20 AM.

The best advice I can give is to teach them that things actually worked before we got led down the garden path--before they were born. And they don't learn that history in school. I started a couple of threads that I think could be helpful in that chore:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...s-de-Claremore

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...hings-be-Brief

Don't be surprised if you have to work like a beaver to make them understand and believe this. And then they get mad. And one of the big ones is, universities used to compete to see who could make a quality education more affordable for those working their way through.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 09-03-2015 at 11:25 AM.