Thread: FBI Caught and Sued for Faking Associated Press Website

FBI Caught and Sued for Faking Associated Press Website

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), has been sued by the Associated Press (AP) for the suppression of documents about FBI agent who impersonated an AP journalist and created a fake news story.

Last year, AP filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the FBI in search of the documents related to the situation, but according to the recent lawsuit filed by AP against FBI, no information has been provided by the agency.

Furthermore, the agency is not being transparent about the searching process and responded to the Associated Press saying that the process of gathering requested information could take two or more years.

The allegation dates back to 2007 when an FBI agent represented himself as an AP journalist and published a false news draft on a legit-looking fake webpage of The Seattle Times with the headlines

“BOMB THREAT AT HIGH SCHOOL DOWNPLAYED BY LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT” AND “TECHNOLOGY SAVVY STUDENT HOLDS TIMBERLINE HIGH SCHOOL HOSTAGE”.

The website in question was also infected with a spyware script and the link to the website was sent as a private message to a 15-year-old student.

When the suspect clicked on the link to check the news story, the malware-infected website automatically traced the IP address and MAC address, including all the details of the suspected student’s computer. And that was all the information required by the FBI agency to charge the kid for creating bomb threats to Timberline High School located near Olympia, Washington.

According to the FBI, no article was ever published about the said news story and the suspect interacted directly with an uncover FBI agent.

According to Katie Townsend, Litigation Director of Reports Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP):

“WE CANNOT OVERSTATE HOW DAMAGING IT IS FOR FEDERAL AGENTS TO POSE AS JOURNALISTS. THIS PRACTICE UNDERMINES THE CREDIBILITY OF THE INDEPENDENT NEWS MEDIA, AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED. YET WHILE THE PUBLIC CLEARLY HAS A STRONG, COMPELLING INTEREST IN KNOWING MORE ABOUT THE FBI’S USE OF THIS TACTIC, THE FBI SEEMS DETERMINED TO WITHHOLD THAT INFORMATION. WE HAVE BEEN LEFT WITH NO CHOICE BUT TO LOOK TO THE COURT FOR RELIEF.”
    On Thursday, the Associated Press (AP) and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) jointly filed a lawsuit against the United States Justice Department and the FBI. Both organizations are requesting the agency to release all the FBI’s documents related to the operation under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

Moreover, the request also asked FBI to disclose how many times they have impersonated the media members to catch suspects since 2000, the request also asks about all the documents and materials they have used to catch suspects including bogus news stories and media materials.
    https://www.hackread.com/fbi-fakes-a...press-website/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is it bigger news that the government is pretending to be the media, or that the media is still trying to pretend it isn't lapdogs for the powers that be?

The focus maybe ought to be on the blatant entrapment, and the fact that these 'terrorists' would not, if left to their own devices, harm a fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

WE CANNOT OVERSTATE HOW DAMAGING IT IS FOR FEDERAL AGENTS TO POSE AS JOURNALISTS. THIS PRACTICE UNDERMINES THE CREDIBILITY OF THE INDEPENDENT NEWS MEDIA, AND SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED.
    Excuse me Ms. Townsend; but are you under the impression that journalists are a protected class or should have rights that members of other professions should not?
    If the federal agents should not be allowed to pose as journalists; then they should not be allowed to pose as members of any profession other than the govt ticks they are.

FBI needs eliminated , there is no service being provided to the taxpayer.

The FBI, lolol! Years ago I called the FBI to try and arrange a meeting at the local FBI office on criminal matters involving the IRS that directly burden my family (my attempt at exhausting any means available to me as public services) and the female FBI agent on the phone told me that they were unable to assist me on such matter because all agents are assigned to fighting terrorism. So, of course I hastily replied, terrorism? Certainly even the FBI realizes that 9/11 was a completely staged incident to perpetuate an atmosphere of fear and hatred, right? Well, that pretty much ended that phone call.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

They act like Operation Mockingbird is something new?
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book