Thread: These Members of Congress Ate Hemp Scones and Drank Raw Milk to Protest Fed Food Regulations

These Members of Congress Ate Hemp Scones and Drank Raw Milk to Protest Fed Food Regulations

These Members of Congress Ate Hemp Scones and Drank Raw Milk to Protest Federal Food Regulations

BY HUNTER SCHWARZ
    August 24, 2015

Two members of Congress ate illegal food Friday and got away with it.

Reps. Jared Polis (D-Colo.) and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) ate their meal Friday at Jezebel’s, a Denver restaurant. The reason they aren’t under criminal investigation, though? Because they were in Colorado, and while the dishes they ate are against the law to buy, they brought the food themselves.

Their meal of “forbidden and restricted foods,” as Polis called it, was to bring attention to federal rules they hope to change that limit how food can be sold.

Here’s what they ate:

Hemp scones

Hemp cannot be grown or sold in the U.S., except in certain states, and only then with a permit, because it’s a controlled substance according to federal law. The scones cannot get you high.

Non-inspected steak

Beef can only be sold if it came from cows processed through USDA-approved facilities, or if it’s sold as a full, half, or quarter cow. It cannot be sold by the individual steak. Massie brought the steak from cows on his farm.

read more:
    https://www.ijreview.com/2015/08/400...d-regulations/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reps. Massie, Polis Team Up for Food Freedom with Delicious Unapproved Steaks
    Congressmen attempt to draw attention to oppressive USDA meddling.

Scott Shackford | Aug. 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Reps. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) and Jared Polis (D-Colo.) hail from opposing parties, but frequently come together on issues of individual liberty, particularly when agriculture is involved. The two of them have previously teamed up to craft legislation to try to end, or at least loosen, federal bans on growing hemp.

The two of them recently came together in a restaurant in Denver, Colorado, for a little stunt promoting food freedom. The two of them ate a meal with steak, eggs, and raw milk that had never been inspected by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

Part of their goal was to promote the PRIME Act (Processing Revival and Intrastate Meat Exemption) Act that would end the USDA’s stranglehold over how meat is processed within states. States would be able to set up their own rules and permit more custom slaughtering to better meet the needs of both consumers and farmers (Keep Food Legal’s Baylen Linnekin detailed the importance of the legislation here at Reason earlier in the month). The two of them were also there to promote the freedom to consume kombucha, the fermented tea that has been targeted by agencies that control alcohol distribution.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/08/24/m...r-food-freedom

video:
    http://www.9news.com/story/news/loca...tion/32142395/

Badass !

Although I don't think those hemp scones are too tasty... Doesn't really appeal to me. At least if it tastes of hemp.

Those steaks on the other hand, I've heard they are really good. I got some meat from similar cows (wagyu) a while ago and that was some damn tasty beef. Really expensive though.

I really think this 'dinner' is a nice statement. A nice bipartisan show of how ridiculous things have become.

+1 for both.
    "I am a bird"

The photos of Massie aren't so great. In both of them he looks like he is about to barf. Not exactly what I would call a great advertisement.

The other issue is milk. The congressmen are pushing the "Milk Freedom Act" and the "Milk Interstate Freedom Act."
    I find it depressing that we even need a "Milk Freedom Act". *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    The photos of Massie aren't so great. In both of them he looks like he is about to barf. Not exactly what I would call a great advertisement.
    Lmao. You aren't kidding.

Either way, good for him for standing on this issue.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Haha, that's true.

The other representative almost looks high. He seems to really enjoy it, so maybe he lit his on fire before he ate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.