Thread: "Reasonable" homeschooler controls. Public radio's increasing awareness.

"Reasonable" homeschooler controls. Public radio's increasing awareness.

Seems to be a theme running on public radio this week. Homeschoolers are political bullies and they don't want traceability.

Pushy Powerful Parents: The Home-School Lobby Under Fire

and ...

How N.H.'s Homeschoolers Became Virtually Untraceable

Nice timing to coincide with Slate's article (linked in the first story). Coalition for Responsible Homeschooling must be having a fundraising drive.

HS'rs are already over-represented at the spelling, geography, and robotics national competitions as well as various sports and music fields. Now, earlier this month we learned that they make up 50% of the female Rangers.

This cannot be allowed to stand!

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We have testing requirements in VA and my daughter has aced them two years in a row now.
    Of course she has individual talents, but I wouldn't call her some kind of prodigy, and frankly even for 8 I think her spelling is atrocious.
    My wife and I have mused more than once that if she's acing the standardized tests, then WTF do they expect out of public school kids?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

This cannot be allowed to stand!
    Statists hate it. Hell, they hate charter schools which are morphing into public schools anyway, thanks to over-regulation and commie core.

"[E]very politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later, whether as the divine right of kings or "the will of the people" in "democracy." Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey.

A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state."
    –Isabel Paterson
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Until government schools outperform home schools, they should just shut up. Honestly, it just drives me crazy to listen to teachers who can't even pronounce words correctly or use proper grammar.

Home schools should not be regulated, and there should be no mandatory education laws.

Our Constitution requires equal protection under the law. We paid a lot of taxes and had to pay a lot more money in fees to an umbrella school just to keep our records on file. That's not equal protection.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    We have testing requirements in VA and my daughter has aced them two years in a row now.
    Clearly you are part of the problem! Anything more than a 50% score is suspicious.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

I imagine that stories like this make progressive's heads hurt.

The homeschool pioneers of China and Taiwan

Over on the outskirts of Beijing, Rebecca Deng (a pseudonym because homeschooling is illegal in China) plays with her 2-year-old son in the playground of her apartment complex as her 6th-grade son, Jason, finishes up an online English lesson. Deng started thinking about alternative education after teaching at a Christian international school for 10 years and feeling convicted that Chinese children should have access to that type of schooling. A Chinese-American mother started a homeschool co-op nearby, and Deng joined the biweekly meeting with about two dozen children.
    On one hand they might want to support those Chinese who go underground in opposition to authoritarian rule. Then on the other hand, they long for that level of control over evil, religious, biogted HSr's.

XNN

I thank god that I live in Arizona as a Homeschooling dad. Laws here are pretty awesome. My son is gifted and public schools would've killed his spirit and intelligence. I feel so sorry for those parents who would like to homeschool but the laws of their state make it next to impossible to do so.

No mandatory testing. No record keeping. No inspections or evaluations.

We keep our own records, do our own testing, and make sure our kids are getting a better education than public schools by an order of magnitude.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    My son is gifted and public schools would've killed his spirit and intelligence.
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'd bet your son is not actually gifted.
    I believe public schools are so effective at killing spirit and intelligence, that what we consider above average is just the kids who are less responsive to the pressure to conform.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I'd bet your son is not actually gifted.
    I believe public schools are so effective at killing spirit and intelligence, that what we consider above average is just the kids who are less responsive to the pressure to conform.
    Not taken the wrong way. I guess you could say that he is gifted by today's measurable standards. We did have him tested at age four and the psychologist (who worked for the state) actually said "Do not put this child in public school..."

The test showed he was exceptionally gifted academically, and emotionally a little behind (which kind of makes sense in a way).

When looking at it through the lens of history, he may well be average when compared to a 5 year old student in 1870.... KWIM?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

My god.... I read the article and it scares me. People out there are LITERALLY coming for my children.... what planet it this?

- Diogenes of Sinope

A few things mentioned in both articles.

About a highschool drop out homeschooling her kids: Does someone really need a college degree to teach 3rd grade arithmetic one on one? Besides I've known some people who dropped out because they were too smart for the system and left for their sanity. I've also known some complete dumbasses who acquired a degree and were still dumbasses-- the only difference is now they are annoying know-it-alls, who are probably for this regulation.

About lazy people wanting to homeschool: No. Lazy people look forward to to sending their kids to school for free daycare so they won't have to deal with them as they seek enlightenment from zoloff and xanax.

This was left in the comments and sums up my feelings for the regulation:

Jeff from Michigan
    Homeschoolers dislike oversight mainly because it would be public school administrators and members of the teacher's unions who would be doing the oversight. The unions hate, Hate, HATE homeschooling, so this attitude ought not be surprising. It's no different than pro-choice groups fearing legislation from pro-life politicians.
    Last edited by RJB; 09-02-2015 at 12:15 PM.