Thread: Safest water to drink ?

Safest water to drink ?

So I'm on county water. It is known to be unsafe. I called the county two years ago, and they admitted the chemicals in the water could not be boiled out of it. So we immediately went to drinking bottled water (plastic bottles), like Deer Park. I have been reading so much stuff on the dangers of chemicals in plastics now, that I'm afraid to drink any more of that.

Any suggestions? Canned water? It just seems like our water supply is under attack, and the sure way to kill us all. How about the really big jugs of water with thicker plastic. Is that a safer option?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not that it applies now, but back in college I tested bottled water vs. tap--and the tap water came out ahead of all others. This was Erie, PA tap water, for what that's worth.

As they started adding more chemicals to the water, I decided to go with an under-sink RO system (reverse osmosis.) It's one of the best filtration systems you can get for your home. Bottled water is usually just tap water in plastic bottles.

They're a bit expensive, but worth it for drinking water: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...em%2Caps%2C190
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Water yuk,, Drink beer.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

whole house carbon backwash for chemicals

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-System-...ck+5200+carbon

added KDF 85 media for metals

http://www.purewatersite.com/kdf85fimefor1.html

Any water can be safe to drink if you treat it appropriately. Mine comes off my pump milky with natural gas; I vortex filter and offgas prior to entering the home. At some point I'm thinking about bottling
    Last edited by presence; 08-27-2015 at 06:07 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I called the county two years ago, and they admitted the chemicals in the water could not be boiled out of it.
    I should hope so. Heating water to a boil and then letting it cool removes exactly nothing at all from it. It might kill whatever's living in it, but it removes nothing.

But you can remove the water from the impurities by boiling it. It's called distillation, and all you have to do is capture the steam, wait for it to cool, and drink that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Not that it applies now, but back in college I tested bottled water vs. tap--and the tap water came out ahead of all others. This was Erie, PA tap water, for what that's worth.

As they started adding more chemicals to the water, I decided to go with an under-sink RO system (reverse osmosis.) It's one of the best filtration systems you can get for your home. Bottled water is usually just tap water in plastic bottles.

They're a bit expensive, but worth it for drinking water: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...em%2Caps%2C190
    You may be right. The dogs drink regular tap water, and they are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Water yuk,, Drink beer.
    I'm a red wino, hope that counts for hydration

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I should hope so. Heating water to a boil and then letting it cool removes exactly nothing at all from it. It might kill whatever's living in it, but it removes nothing.

It does remove some dissolved gases.

Natural Gas
    Chlorine
    Ammonia
    Carbonation

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    whole house carbon backwash for chemicals

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-System-...ck+5200+carbon

added KDF 85 media for metals

http://www.purewatersite.com/kdf85fimefor1.html

Any water can be safe to drink if you treat it appropriately. Mine comes off my pump milky with natural gas; I vortex filter and offgas prior to entering the home. At some point I'm thinking about bottling
    I read the ad, and it looks great; but, doesn't look like anything I could install.

I agree with amy, I'd go with a good RO filter, it will lower the PPM of your water from about 300-400+ to under 30.

The problem is your water will then be lacking trace minerals. You can add some back with concentrace, or make sure you are supplementing all your trace minerals and micronutrients (or both).

I drink RO water and sometimes distilled water (even better) from The Water Store. I used to filter my own back when I was using it for a hydroponics garden as well..
    Last edited by dannno; 08-27-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It costs money: Link.

They used to deliver it at home in big containers.

There are some arguments against reverse osmosis water, but I don't remember.

distilled water
    distilled tap water
    tap water

Just another FYI: I tested the waters for heavy metals. RO does remove most of it. I used graphite AA to test it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...mic_absorption

I don't know of any issues with RO filtration except that they need maintenance. We always used DI or RO water in the labs. Distilled water, if you add micronutrients might be okay--but you'll probably still have to buy it bottled in plastic unless you set up a still.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I have a reverse osmosis water filter. Love it. These are what they use all over places like Odessa, Texas where oil has seeped into the water table. Nearly everyone has one of these there. Drinking water before and after there is what really sold me on these things. They're fabulous. Best tasting water I have ever had.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I think they've finally got beyond the prototype stage with Slingshot:

Depends on who you ask.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    You may be right. The dogs drink regular tap water, and they are just fine.
    Um, you do realize that she did not say anything about your tap water, didn't pretend to know anything about your tap water, and couldn't know anything about your tap water if you haven't told her where you live, right? You do realize that not all tap water is the same, right? I mean, you do realize that you could put a pump and a tap on your septic tank, right? You do understand that there aren't pipes all under the whole nation delivering us all identical New York City tap water, right?

And you have seen your dog eat $#@!, right?

Don't you dare drink that stuff, get sick, then come here blathering, 'Amy said it was fine!' The lady was talking about testing water. This can be done. You can have it done. No doubt Amy could do it, if she had a sample. But we can't even smell the stuff over this internet thingie.

The most brilliant people in the world can't tell you what pollutants are in water they've never even seen. Get some equally curious neighbors to help you defray the expense and have it tested. Buy a clue. I have no doubt that people here can tell you the best way to get the pollutants out of your water, provided they know what pollutants are actually in your water. Buy us a clue.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 08-28-2015 at 07:19 AM.

Um, you do realize that she did not say anything about your tap water, didn't pretend to know anything about your tap water, and couldn't know anything about your tap water if you haven't told her where you live, right? You do realize that not all tap water is the same, right? I mean, you do realize that you could put a pump and a tap on your septic tank, right? You do understand that there aren't pipes all under the whole nation delivering us all identical New York City tap water, right?

Don't you dare drink that stuff, get sick, then come here blathering, 'Amy said it was fine!' The lady was talking about testing water. This can be done. You can have it done. No doubt Amy could do it, if she had a sample. But we can't even smell the stuff over this internet thingie.

The most brilliant people in the world can't tell you what pollutants are in water they've never even seen. Get some equally curious neighbors to help you defray the expense and have it tested. Buy a clue. I have no doubt that people here can tell you the best way to get the pollutants out of your water, provided they know what pollutants are actually in your water. Buy us a clue.
    Completely agree with the notion of getting your neighbors in on the testing. Very cost effective.

Buy a Berkey, or similar water filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Buy a Berkey, or similar water filter.
    For sure!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SliderFiveSizes.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	4514
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I've heard plastic exudes estrogen stuff into liquids, and can mess up your hormonal balance. If you smell inside a filled plastic water bottle on a hot day, you can smell it. So the question is, how can you avoid drinking out of plastic bottles? It might not even matter, most liquids are transported in plastic containers anyway. Is there some way to get the pollutants out of the water? It can't be healthy for a guy to be constantly drinking estrogen
    Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 08-28-2015 at 09:47 AM.

But you can remove the water from the impurities by boiling it. It's called distillation, and all you have to do is capture the steam, wait for it to cool, and drink that.
    If you bring tap water to a boil, you will remove most of the trihalomethanes, which are the main organic byproducts of chlorination. Not a bad thing to remove.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    It does remove some dissolved gases.

Natural Gas
    Chlorine
    Ammonia
    Carbonation
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    If you bring tap water to a boil, you will remove most of the trihalomethanes, which are the main organic byproducts of chlorination. Not a bad thing to remove.
    I stand corrected.

But I also stand on my main point. Boiling don't, for example, get the lead out.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post

That does look great !! It's a little expensive initially, but we spend a lot of bottled water. Within a year I'm sure we would recoop what we paid.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Great points !