Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Time Donald Trump Had A Meeting With DREAMers And Said “You Convinced Me” On Immigration

That Time Donald Trump Had A Meeting With DREAMers And Said “You Convinced Me” On Immigration

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adriancarras...nX0#.qu9XqrqNy

On an August day two years ago, Donald Trump was in a much different place: He was just a billionaire with the simple goal of connecting his beauty pageant business with the upcoming Hispanic Heritage Awards.
    So at his New York penthouse office atop Trump Tower, he convened a meeting.
    Trump ushered in a pair of men — one to talk about the awards and a Democratic strategist who works with nonprofits — and three young DREAMer activists. The DREAMers were on a tour sharing their stories with those less likely to support them, like Tea Party supporters.
    Trump, according to four attendees who recounted the meeting to BuzzFeed News, talked about how rich he is (“This is the best view in New York!”), the golf courses he was building around the world, and about each prospective Republican candidate (“What do you think about Jeb Bush?”) and whether Latinos liked them.
    Then the DREAMers began telling their life stories.
    Jose Machado spoke about how his mom was deported when he was 15 years old. Diego Sanchez talked about how he was trying to go to law school and struggling to come up with ways to pay for it.
    Trump alternated between making no sense and broad ignorance on the issue, according to Gaby Pacheco, a prominent national activist and the third DREAMer in the meeting.
    “Don’t you think someone in a wheelchair is more deserving than you all?” Trump said to silence.
    But he also kept asking, “Can’t you just become a citizen if you want to?” No, we can’t, the activists said, there’s no process for that. Trump was reflective, the activists said.
    “You know, the truth is I have a lot of illegals working for me in Miami,” he told them, using the term for undocumented immigrants those in the meeting found offensive. “You know in Miami, my golf course is tended by all these Hispanics — if it wasn’t for them my lawn wouldn’t be the lawn it is, it’s the best lawn,” Pacheco recalled Trump saying.
    Trump said he knew the work of undocumented people is what makes his golf courses and hotels great.
    “At the end of the day, what we’re looking at is a value proposition for America,” Tijerino said to Trump at the end of the meeting, referring to immigration legislation.
    “You’ve convinced me,” Trump said to the delight of the activists in the room.
    “We all smiled at each other and said, ‘Wow, we did it, we got this guy to change his mind,’” Pacheco said.
    Two years later, they see a showman just playing to the crowd. Trump, of course, has spun the Republican field into a debate about immigration that has involved whether the 14th Amendment should be revoked, and if the U.S.-born children of undocumented immigrants should be deported.
    “This is an entertainer who knows how to appease his audience,” Rodriguez said. “In his office he had an audience that was completely receptive to what he had to say about respecting the drive of these students who are here to change their lives. But once that conversation was done, that conversation was done. There was no follow up.”
    Antonio Tijerino, the businessman who spoke about the Hispanic Heritage Awards at the meeting, said Trump’s people didn’t expect him to come with activists in tow — but Trump was “gracious, engaged, warm, and friendly.”
    It was very different, Tijerino said from the Trump of 2015, the man whom Tijerino believes provoked the alleged beating of a homeless Hispanic man last week by two white men from Boston who justified the attack by telling police, “Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported.”
    In 2013, though, he was in entertainer mode even as the meeting concluded, cracking jokes with the group about how they needed better ties — and walked them downstairs straight to his gift shop.
    Trump declared that they could have whatever they wanted for free.
    He gave away a watch, and his daughter’s book. He gave away chocolate. Pacheco scored a perfume, the guys got a bunch of Donald Trump ties.
    “Everything said, ‘Made in China,’” Pacheco said.
    Sanchez, who is 25 and now in law school, cracked up when asked about the ties. He said he was literally wearing one of the three Trump gave him that day.
    “Considering what he told us, it’s a complete 360, all he’s doing now is spewing hate,” Sanchez said. “He’s digging himself in a hole even more. He was nice then but now he wants to kick us out of the country.”
    Rodriguez, who took a tie and gave it to his dad, said this is what should upset Trump’s supporters: They’re just being used by a showman who knows what to say depending on who he’s talking to.
    “That’s what he’s doing now — using his celebrity and getting people starstruck by playing to his audience.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump for the flip flopping fake Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Well, I guess he got the courage to stop being politically correct on immigration after meeting with the Clintons.

Trump is bipolar, mixed with a bit of schizophrenia, top it off with narcissistic personality disorder..... and you have one hell of a President !!!! Hell, for sure, lol.

He's committed himself to Sessions' immigration bill. Whatever he may have said in the past (and this incident here appears to be nothing more than telling a bunch of stupid kids what they wanted to hear before tossing them some swag and ushering them out of his building), that still puts him leaps and bounds above the other leading GOP candidates. The only one I think who stands a chance of co-opting the popular aspects of Trump and packaging it in a more appealing instrument is Carson.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    He's committed himself to Sessions' immigration bill. Whatever he may have said in the past (and this incident here appears to be nothing more than telling a bunch of stupid kids what they wanted to hear before tossing them some swag and ushering them out of his building), that still puts him leaps and bounds above the other leading GOP candidates. The only one I think who stands a chance of co-opting the popular aspects of Trump and packaging it in a more appealing instrument is Carson.
    Hahahahahahahahahaha

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's committed himself to Sessions' immigration bill.
    How exactly? He's not owned by anyone.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
    Hahahahahahahahahaha
    The very simple retort to any Trump criticism on this issue is, "what is the alternative?". Is Trump perfect? No. But if you care about immigration, he's the only ball game in town right now. Unless somebody else throws their hat in the ring, Trump can never be trumped on the immigration issue because he's the only one with a plan and a message. And as somebody originally from New Jersey who has been following Trump most of my life, I can tell you that he's always been a Nativist.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    How exactly? He's not owned by anyone.
    If he runs on this platform and then gets the bill on his desk and refuses to sign it, he looks weak and cowardly. Trump doesn't play weak and cowardly.

Lies, Trump hates them thar messicans. Yur fired.

If he runs on this platform and then gets the bill on his desk and refuses to sign it, he looks weak and cowardly. Trump doesn't play weak and cowardly.

Man, the Trump supporters are the most brainwashed people I've ever seen. Trump could literally go out and commit murder and they would still defend him. It's almost like a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Man, the Trump supporters are the most brainwashed people I've ever seen. Trump could literally go out and commit murder and they would still defend him. It's almost like a cult.
    It may have passed cult and went straight into religion territory. These same people wouldn't tolerate the same behavior from Rand or anyone else. Only Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The very simple retort to any Trump criticism on this issue is, "what is the alternative?". Is Trump perfect? No. But if you care about immigration, he's the only ball game in town right now. Unless somebody else throws their hat in the ring, Trump can never be trumped on the immigration issue because he's the only one with a plan and a message. And as somebody originally from New Jersey who has been following Trump most of my life, I can tell you that he's always been a Nativist.
    You are kind of naive to place faith in a person that rebuilt his fortune on foreign money. Do you think that any Trump is going to risk his forture to satisfied people like you.

I don't place my faith in him. Like Trump, I trust no one. But as he is the only one in the race talking about this stuff, and he has a track record that suggests he genuinely does believe what he is saying, that makes him the best option.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't place my faith in him. Like Trump, I trust no one. But as he is the only one in the race talking about this stuff, and he has a track record that suggests he genuinely does believe what he is saying, that makes him the best option.
    You might want to do some snooping on how Trump handles the banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
    You might want to do some snooping on how Trump handles the banks.
    Like I said in another thread, I'm from New Jersey and have been following Trump since the 1980's. I know exactly how he deals with banks- same way he deals with everyone else. He plays hardball and exacts the best deal possible. Other than his very first bankruptcy, when Trump lost a great deal of his own personal wealth because of the way his business was structured, it has been the bankers that took a bath, not him.

That's right. He's been talking about the immigration situation for years. Er, I mean 4 months.

It's worse than Obama. A new low

That's right. He's been talking about the immigration situation for years. Er, I mean 4 months.
    Trump has been a consistent Nativist dating back to when I first became aware of him in the 1980's. He wasn't releasing detailed immigration plans a real estate developer, but his public comments have always had a pronounced Nativist bent.

Media never lies nor spins, didn't we learn this in 2008?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Trump has been a consistent Nativist dating back to when I first became aware of him in the 1980's. He wasn't releasing detailed immigration plans a real estate developer, but his public comments have always had a pronounced Nativist bent.
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Don.../26/id/465363/
    The Republican Party will continue to lose presidential elections if it comes across as mean-spirited and unwelcoming toward people of color, Donald Trump tells Newsmax.

"He had a crazy policy of self-deportation, which was maniacal," Trump said. "It sounded as bad as it was, and he lost all of the Latino vote ... He lost the Asian vote. He lost everybody who is inspired to come into this country."
    I guess maybe he was just telling Newsmax what they wanted to hear?

Logic doesn't matter. Trump is a mania just like tulip bulbs were 400 years ago or witch burning. Trump is the madness of crowds on display that has existed for all of human history.

http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-...ness+of+crowds

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Don.../26/id/465363/

I value the body of comments made over the course of a lifetime over the stray comment going the other way, especially when paired with most detailed immigration proposal any politician of either party has issued in generations.

I'm not even going to beat around the bush anymore. You're a major part of the problem with what's going on in our country when you support an authoritarian statist like Trump over someone like Rand who has a proven liberty/Constitutionalist voting record in the Senate. You're obviously someone who despises liberty and Constitutional government.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    It may have passed cult and went straight into religion territory. These same people wouldn't tolerate the same behavior from Rand or anyone else. Only Trump.
    This is turning into an absolute rehash of Barack Obama, and if this doesn't get nipped in the bud soon, we'll have another 4 years of gargantuan debt, thousands more body bags coming back home, and all the lovely economic malaise to go with it.

I think we need to start enacting some site discipline again soon, way too many anti-Rand people on here.

Someone alert the white nationalist conservatives. Trump is a cuckservative.

I'm not even going to beat around the bush anymore. You're a major part of the problem with what's going on in our country when you support an authoritarian statist like Trump over someone like Rand who has a proven liberty/Constitutionalist voting record in the Senate. You're obviously someone who despises liberty and Constitutional government.
    I don't support Trump. But I do think he is the best of the viable options currently available. Rand I just don't see as viable anymore. He gambled everything on an extremely risky and unusual campaign strategy, and it backfired miserably. So be it. The Presidency is not the be all and end all of the Liberty Movement. Trump is very good on a couple of issues (Immigration and Russia primarily) and where he isn't great, hopefully we will have a spate of new Liberty Senators and Congressmen in 2016 ready to oppose him. Kelli Ward is already beating McCain in the polls! We need to focus on the positive.
    Last edited by RonPaulMall; 08-27-2015 at 10:06 PM.

You couldn't have been following trump in the 80's being that you are just a "stupid kid" hearing what you want to hear.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast