Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Should Cops Be Allowed To Take Control of Self-Driving Cars?

When Should Cops Be Allowed To Take Control of Self-Driving Cars?

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/08...f-driving-cars

A police officer is directing traffic in the intersection when he sees a self-driving car barreling toward him and the occupant looking down at his smartphone. The officer gestures for the car to stop, and the self-driving vehicle rolls to a halt behind the crosswalk. This seems like a pretty plausible interaction. Human drivers are required to pull over when a police officer gestures for them to do so. It's reasonable to expect that self-driving cars would do the same. But Will Oremus writes that while it's clear that police officers should have some power over the movements of self-driving cars, what's less clear is where to draw the line. Should an officer be able to do the same if he suspects the passenger of a crime? And what if the passenger doesn't want the car to stop—can she override the command, or does the police officer have ultimate control?

According to a RAND Corp. report on the future of technology and law enforcement "the dark side to all of the emerging access and interconnectivity (PDF) is the risk to the public's civil rights, privacy rights, and security." It added, "One can readily imagine abuses that might occur if, for example, capabilities to control automated vehicles and the disclosure of detailed personal information about their occupants were not tightly controlled and secured."
    Slashdot article, but a very good question.

So what do you think? When should cops be allowed to take control of self driving cars?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Can we instead just modify all cars so that they slow down as they get closer to an Officer?

Dozens of Officers die in car crashes each year, so it's obviously of paramount importance that we do everything we can to get that to a more reasonable number.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Just as long as no one tries to tell me I have to relinquish control of my vehicle or get it off the road, I don't care what or who the fools who relinquish control of their vehicles relinquish control of them to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

how about never? anything used against real criminals is always used against the rest of the population
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

We should of course also require that Officers get a warrant before shutting down someone's vehicle, to ensure due process.

We could give Officers an app on their phone so they can get warrants more quickly.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

It'll be when ever he feels his safety is threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    We could give Officers an app on their phone so they can get warrants more quickly.
    To slow. Put the app on their firearms.

As long as Police Vehicles can't be shut down I'm fine with this. I was thinking maybe Ambulances should also not be allowed to be shut down remotely, but that's less important of course than making sure Police Vehicles remain operational.
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Sir, your car was swerving. I smell alcohol and your eyes look bloodshot. I'll need you to exit the vehicle for a sobriety test."

"But, officer, my car is a self-driving car."

"Sure it is son, sure it is. Now exit the vehicle."

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

Slashdot article, but a very good question.

So what do you think? When should cops be allowed to take control of self driving cars?
    You knew it would be asked.

I am sure some or most of the "rules" have already been written.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

When should cops be allowed to take control of self driving cars?
    Sounds like highway piracy.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

The question is wrong. Better to ask:

'Should people buy self-driving cars that cops can control?' And of course they will, because they want the cool gizmos, regardless of how owning one makes it easier to spy on or control you.

In any case,

I predict that eventually the police lobby will come out against this self-driving technology, as it will severely cut down on fine collecting (that car won't let you speed). At that point it's gonna be one of those 'strange bedfellows' moments with myself and the police unions.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 08-26-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

'Should people buy self-driving cars that cops can control?' And of course they will, because they want the cool gizmos, regardless of how owning one makes it easier to spy on you.

In any case,

I predict that eventually the police lobby will come out against this self-driving technology, as it will severely cut down on fine collecting (that car won't let you speed). At that point it's gonna be one of those 'strange bedfellows' moments with myself and the police unions.
    who is responsible if a self driving car hits someone? Do they take the car to court?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    who is responsible if a self driving car hits someone? Do they take the car to court?
    And that's another reason I think this technology is a long way off. I'm not a lawyer but I think the company would be held liable.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

one point has been removed from your license

- Edward R. Murrow

i'd like to think that the "technology" will evolve and solve these problems in a much better way than any gov't mandate to do so could. of course all technological modes of individual transportation and improvements have been hindered by the wonderful infrastructure we have stuck with.

i'd still like to hop in a "pod", smoke a bowl, and arrive at my destination when I choose.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

'Should people buy self-driving cars that cops can control?' And of course they will, because they want the cool gizmos, regardless of how owning one makes it easier to spy on or control you.

In any case,

Nope, self driving cars are coming and police will love them. Whether it's admitted or not, law enforcement will have full control. Behind on child support? Car drives you directly to court.

New crimes will be invented to keep the revenue up.
    Non-violence is the creed of those that maintain a monopoly on force.

This is easy, whenever he is horny and sees a hottie driving by. Ask harder questions next time.

Suppose there was a test city where literally every driver had a self driving car. Also, all of their cars are joined to a traffic network with coordinates the flow of traffic so well you don't even need traffic light or have to stop at intersections.

At this point, I don't see the need for police intervention unless the car has malfunctioned. At that point, the control system is probably unreliable to seize the car by remote anyway.

What VIDEODROME said. Autonomous cars are in the works. The set-up for them is happening now. It's going to change everything: car insurance, body shop businesses, traffic violations (registration, brake lights, etc notwithstanding), and such, will pretty much be obsolete.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Also, what if the police are trying to catch a criminal? In a city-wide traffic network where all the cars are controlled, how would I get to the store or go to work? I just tell the car to take me there which would probably put the request in with the city's traffic control.

So if the police have a warrant, they could just ask the Sys Admin to provide my destination and meet me there when I show up. Car chases would be obsolete.

In any case,

Should?

You will not be permitted to own anything but a self driver with full police override, Mundane.

All the more reason for why no one should want a self-driving car. Sheesh.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    What VIDEODROME said. Autonomous cars are in the works. The set-up for them is happening now. It's going to change everything: car insurance, body shop businesses, traffic violations (registration, brake lights, etc notwithstanding), and such, will pretty much be obsolete.
    God save me from the future...you can have it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And I'll drop this off on the way out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    God save me from the future...you can have it.
    Can't fight progress, as they say. hmmm.....I wonder if buying shares in the chips needed for autonomous cars would be a good investment......?
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Can't fight progress, as they say. hmmm.....I wonder if buying shares in the chips needed for autonomous cars would be a good investment......?
    yep...big money. Anyone think that in order to have one of these cars, you would need to have a chip implant in your body somewhere?..

That would be NVIDIA at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    Always blame the victim!

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

At any time, without oversight?
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast