Thread: Making homemade Ginger Ale.

Thumbs up Making homemade Ginger Ale.

Making homemade Ginger Ale.

Okay...I bought some beautiful pieces of ginger at my farmer store today. I started my ginger bug. You got to have the ginger bug first before you can make the fizzy ginger ale.

Here is how you do it:

2 Heaping tablespoons of shredded ginger in a 8 oz. jar.
    2 heaping tablespoons of Organic Pure Cane Sugar.
    2 tablespoons of filtered water.

Put the lid on the jar and shake it vigorously for a minute. Open the lid allowing it sit loosely and place it on the counter.

Every day for 5 consecutive days repeat the process of putting ingredients from above and directions. After 5 days your ginger bug is ready.

Now here is the recipe I have for Ginger Ale:

A naturally fermented old-fashioned ginger ale (also once called Ginger Beer) that contains beneficial probiotics and enzymes.
    Author: Wellness Mama
    Recipe type: Cultured - Beverage
    Ingredients

A 1-2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced. Adjust this to taste. I use 2 inches as I prefer a stronger ginger taste.
    ½ cup of organic sugar or rapadura sugar. if using plain sugar, add 1 tablespoon molasses for flavor and minerals.
    ½ cup fresh lemon or lime juice
    ½ tsp sea salt or himalayan salt
    8 cups of filtered (chlorine free) water (Here is the water filter we use)
    ½ cup homemade ginger bug (or can use ¼ cup whey for a faster recipe though the flavor won't be quite as good. Here is a tutorial for how to make whey)

Instructions

1. Make a "wort" for your ginger ale by placing 3 cups of the water, minced ginger root, sugar (and molasses if needed), and salt in a saucepan and bringing to a boil.

2. Simmer the mixture for about five minutes until sugar is dissolved and mixture starts to smell like ginger.

3. Remove from heat and add additional water. This should cool it but if not, allow to cool to room temperature before moving to the next step.

4. Add fresh lemon or lime juice and ginger bug (or whey).

5. Transfer to a 2 quart glass mason jar with a tight fitting (air-tight) lid. Stir well and put lid on.

6. Leave on the counter for 2-3 days until carbonated and transfer to the fridge where it will last indefinitely.

7. Watch this step carefully. Using whey will cause it to ferment more quickly and it will take less time. It should be bubble and should "hiss" like a soda when the lid is removed. This is very temperature dependent and the mixture may need to be burped or stirred during this fermentation time on the counter.

8. As with any traditional fermented drink, it is more of an art than a science as it depends on the strength of your culture, the temperature of your house and the sugar used. The final mixture should smell of ginger and slightly of yeast/fermentation and should be fizzy. Watch carefully that it doesn't become too carbonated as this will cause too much pressure and may result in an exploding jar!

9. The mixture can be strained and transferred to Grolsch style bottles before putting in the fridge (we like these bottles).

10. Strain before drinking.

11. Enjoy!
    Source
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My recipe:
    1 readhead
    1 bathtub full of grapes

-t

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Making homemade Ginger Ale.
    I made some years ago, I don't remember the process that well but it was something like your recipe. I didn't like the taste, but after leaving it in the fridge for a few months I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    I made some years ago, I don't remember the process that well but it was something like your recipe. I didn't like the taste, but after leaving it in the fridge for a few months I did.
    leaving stuff in the fridge for a few months gives me serious "grab HAZMAT suite" instincts...

-t

Nice! Finally a good use for the whey I have in my freezer.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Nice! Finally a good use for the whey I have in my freezer.
    Let me know how it turns out with whey.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Well, this is my first try...so it may be hit or miss? I like ginger ale so I wanted to see how this recipe comes out. A friend of mine used it and said it came out great--so we will see.