Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump just proposed 35% tariff on Mexico

Trump just proposed 35% tariff on Mexico

end of Nafta.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hilarious and hilarious that people eat this stuff up.
    Rand Paul for Peace

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Mexico can eat it after 23 billion dollars was sent from the U.S. to Mexico via Western Union in 2013. Dump your problems on us? That's not my idea of 'free trade.'

Remittances are Mexico's second-largest source of foreign money. Tax their nationals sending money to their relatives in that country to pay for the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    Remittances are Mexico's second-largest source of foreign money. Tax their nationals sending money to their relatives in that country to pay for the fence.
    How do you expect to get that from people who are about as off the grid as it gets? Why not stick with tariffs and other indirect taxes like the Constitutionalists used to like?...once upon a time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Another stupid idea from a stupid person who doesn't understand economics.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    How do you expect to get that from people who are about as off the grid as it gets? Why not stick with tariffs and other indirect taxes like the Constitutionalists used to like?...once upon a time...

Because a 35% tariff is not a tax on Mexico. It is a tax on Americans. The reason a Mexican product is sold in the US is either because it is better quality or cheaper.

Tariffs are an incredibly inefficient tax. They keep products out of the marketplace that consumers desire. A sales tax is the way to tax people off the grad without distorting the economy as much as tariffs.

How much would a 35% tariff on Mexico take out of my pocket?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    By the way,...I'm not a Mexican. I'm American.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Because a 35% tariff is not a tax on Mexico. It is a tax on Americans. The reason a Mexican product is sold in the US is either because it is better quality or cheaper.

Tariffs are an incredibly inefficient tax. They keep products out of the marketplace that consumers desire. A sales tax is the way to tax people off the grad without distorting the economy as much as tariffs.
    The important thing is that this would increase the amount of jobs in America. Good jobs too, like manufacturing clothing, Happy Meal toys, and those little umbrellas you put in your cocktails.

This, combined with the immigration restrictions, will help to get some of the other good jobs back too. Like maid services, dish cleaning, and lawn mowing. These jobs belong to Americans.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Thing is, the sales tax affects everyone-not just those derned Mexicans. It doesn't make sense. It is more "efficient", but it's also unfair and doesn't achieve what you're hoping to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

A tariff is a sales tax, though. It's just a sales tax on stuff manufactured in other countries instead of taxing stuff manufactured everywhere. Both raise prices for consumers, but a tariff at least might have the effect of encouraging more domestic manufacturing and employing more Americans. In some larger cosmic sense a sales tax on everything is more "efficient" in that it distorts the marketplace less, but a tarriff sales tax can at least encourage more economic activity domestically. Comparative advantage might create more wealth overall, but as we know, 90% of overall wealth goes to the top one percent. A tarriff is a kind of sales tax that would push some of that 90% of wealth to folks lower on the ladder, even if it's less overall.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    could not be enforced as people would just send cash. anti-Liberty, much like exchange control. tariffs are the answer, for Mexico, and for Japan and Korea to pay for their defense until the bases can be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    could not be enforced as people would just send cash. .
    Western Union is basically sending cash. Mexcians aren't stupid enough to actually send large amounts of cash through the snail mail. If it wasn't stolen by the USPS it would be stolen by Mexican postmen. It's more likely they would save up the cash for a longer period of time and then go back home to Mexico and bring the cash to their families. That would effectively increase self-deportation, another positive goal.

Trump supports the free market like Stalin did.

The republican party is retarded and will die off in my lifetime no matter what we try to safe it. Now what?

There's nothing really wrong with tariffs. Yes they are a tax. But since the word went on a FED Reserve paper standard all bests are off. China the 2nd largest economy in the world devalues. Stock markets around the world lose billions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvL_Dm2d99A

The Monetary Breakdown of the West

https://mises.org/library/monetary-breakdown-west

https://mises.org/library/monetary-breakdown-west
    Last edited by William R; 08-22-2015 at 01:07 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    There's nothing really wrong with tariffs. Yes they are a tax. But since the word went on a FED Reserve paper standard all bests are off.
    I just wish people like you would volunteer your money to the government and practice what you preach.

Those of us that want to buy Russian AK 47s hate your guts. People like you want to steal from people that actually produce something tangible. Go lie down in a ditch and die you POS.

See? Trump brings out the worst in all of us. I stand by everything I said.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    I just wish people like you would volunteer your money to the government and practice what you preach.

Those of us that want to buy Russian AK 47s hate your guts. People like you want to steal from people that actually produce something tangible. Go lie down in a ditch and die you POS.

In a world of floating money without an anchor?? All BS

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post

So much for the NAP. lol
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Before NAFTA, there was an extremely close watch kept on the trade balance. If it got out of kilter, it was quickly brought back into balance.

When our government stopped giving a damn about this and what was causing it, our economy went to crud.

The concept of free trade is pie in the sky with all the regulations that exist now and the legislation that incentivized companies to offshore. It's putting the cart before the horse to believe otherwise.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 08-22-2015 at 01:22 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulGeorge&Ringo View Post
    Western Union is basically sending cash. Mexcians aren't stupid enough to actually send large amounts of cash through the snail mail. If it wasn't stolen by the USPS it would be stolen by Mexican postmen. It's more likely they would save up the cash for a longer period of time and then go back home to Mexico and bring the cash to their families. That would effectively increase self-deportation, another positive goal.
    western union is used because its easy. if there is a huge tax, a prohibition, or unreasonable ID requirements people will find alternate ways. one can hide cash in food packages. or use bitcoin. they will not risk going back to Mexico just to send cash.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    western union is used because its easy. if there is a huge tax, a prohibition, or unreasonable ID requirements people will find alternate ways.
    That's not even what we're necessarily talking about. Trump might be able to just impound 15% of all remittances until such time as the wall is paid off. Impounding 100% would obviously $#@! down all remittances immediately and bring in no money.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Trump made a great point that he is an advocate for free trade as long as the concept isn't abused by unscrupulous parties. The problem with the U.S. in a nutshell is that they're are so indebted to China that she calls the shots.

Here's a fun game we can play. Pay attention to how many times that number, 35%, changes in the next month.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Trump made a great point that he is an advocate for free trade as long as the concept isn't abused by unscrupulous parties.
    That's not a great point. That sounds like the same point everybody makes for more government on every issue. "Freedom would be great if we were all angels. But since we're not, we need the devils in the government to tell us what to do."

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Before NAFTA, there was an extremely close watch kept on the trade balance. If it got out of kilter, it was quickly brought back into balance.

When our government stopped giving a damn about this and what was causing it, our economy went to crud.

The concept of free trade is pie in the sky with all the regulations that exist now and the legislation that incentivized companies to offshore. It's putting the cart before the horse to believe otherwise.
    We used to tax the hell out of cars imported from Canada. When we stopped that, Detroit got healthier for a time.

No, our economy went to crap when a bunch of laws got passed that made it necessary to hire three lawyers and five CPAs to start a small business. There is no other direct, causal link which is as strong, as obvious and as easy to prove. And all Trump has to say about that is that he, too, bribed politicians to make that happen just like all the other corporatists.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Trump made a great point that he is an advocate for free trade as long as the concept isn't abused by unscrupulous parties. The problem with the U.S. in a nutshell is that they're are so indebted to China that she calls the shots.
    Oh? China told us to up our tariff against Mexico? Must have; no one else could possibly benefit from a policy that could trash the Mexican economy enough to actually further motivate illegal immigration. No one else could benefit from a policy that would weaken the Western Hemisphere.

And still Trump says nothing bout how he would help small business. Probably because he has never done anything in his life to small businesses but sabotage them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    The tariff is a tax levied on goods crossing border, so people won't count as part of the tariff proposal. But remember he will build a fence and greatly slow down illegal immigration so there would be no real need to worry about workers.

Also the people complaining about the money crossing back into Mexico, you do realize that those money were earned doing legitimate work. Yes, they sent back X billions of dollars but at the same time they put in X billions of labor into the American economy.
    Last edited by juleswin; 08-22-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Here's a fun game we can play. Pay attention to how many times that number, 35%, changes in the next month.
    I bet you $100 that the number of times would be zero. The man is a smart troll, if he was running for office again to troll the democratic party then I will put the number at 1-2. But I have a feeling this is going to be his last run at any office after he crashes and burns. So the number would be 0.

Why people even post Trump's positions is stupid. He modifies his positions based on cheers. Nobody knows his real positions. The only thing I know about him is his extremely evil character.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

nothing like a 1/3 shakedown to broaden the black market?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast