Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Diet & Exercise Thread

Unofficial Diet & Exercise Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    Cute, cute!

I wonder if we could have a fitness and weight loss thread?
    Post all your exercise/diet tips in this thread.

I'm not concerned about weight as much as I am my pudgy little belly. I've noticed it's getting a little bigger after sitting around the pool drinking Butt Light all summer. I feel bloated and my shorts are a little snug in the waist.

This is what I've been doing for the past week and I've noticed my belly has gone down a bit.

I've been eating 2 hard boiled eggs (plain) and a cup of fresh blueberries with a cup of green tea every morning.

100 calorie protein shake made with unsweetened Almond/coconut milk for a snack. I use Skinny Jane Vanilla. It tastes like a vanilla milkshake with no weird aftertaste.

4-6 oz of lean protein with a cup of green tea and all the non starchy veggies and berries I can shove in my gullet for lunch and dinner.

No eating after 7pm.

Exercise

I'm getting into Zumba. I figure I'm killing two birds with one stone. It's helping my dancing skills and I'm getting a cardio workout. The Gold class is for seniors but it fit in my schedule. I got permission from the instructor beforehand. I thought it would be weird but I'm having fun at Zumba Gold.

I'll probably do more running when the weather cools down. I do all my walking/running outside, btw. I hate treadmills. If it's raining and I can't get outside, I hop on the elliptical at home. I listen to podcasts whilst I'm running/walking. It makes the time go by and gives me something to think about besides my burning ass and thighs.

Monday - Zumba Gold and power walk with hand weights for 20 minutes after dinner.
    Tuesday - Zumba Abs & sculpt and power walk with hand weights for 20 minutes after dinner.
    Wednesday - Am/Pm Callanetics (15 minutes in the am/pm dvd), run 2 miles, and do the weights at the gym.
    Thursday - Zumba Gold and walk with hand weights for 20 minutes after dinner.
    Friday - Am/Pm Callanetics (15 minutes in the am/pm dvd), run 2 miles, and do the weights at the gym.
    Saturday - Zumba (regular class)
    Sunday - Power walk 5 miles with hand weights. (Gym's closed on Sunday but the outside track is open)

*Also, I'm looking for a set of ear buds for small ears with a mic that works on iphone. I found a set on Amazon that fits my ears and the sound is great but when I'm using them and someone calls it says I'm not accepting calls.

Edit: I've also quit drinking beer.
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 08-21-2015 at 07:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Suzanimal. YOU ARE A LION!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu00RiPjaa4

I've been in the gym with junior 4 times a week and will continue that over the fall and winter. I eat what I want, though. Nothing specific. But I've been eating a lot of fish, chicken and steak just because I need him eating that. Vegetables mixed in there some place. Juices and whatnot.

I'm glad to hear that you're still doing this, though. I didn't know if you were going to keep up with it but I knew that you were excited to get healthier back when you were talking about the tuff mudder thing.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-21-2015 at 07:57 AM.

RAWER!

Zumba isn't really hard work, especially the senior citizen class (Gold).

Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post

I've been in the gym with junior 4 times a week and will continue that over the fall and winter. I eat what I want, though. Nothing specific. But I've been eating a lot of fish, chicken and steak just because I need him eating that. Vegetables mixed in there some place. Juices and whatnot.

I'm glad to hear that you're still doing this, though. I didn't know if you were going to keep up with it but I knew that you were excited to get healthier back when you were talking about the tuff mudder thing.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Doing weights only or mixing with some cardio? My number one son is a beast on the elliptical. That kid can go full force for an hour and barely break a sweat, I'm dying after 30 minutes of good effort.

I have a very strenuous job in a very big place, so I walk at least 2-3 miles a day at the minimum. We all walk like lightning because the place is so big.

Anyway, I'm managing my food these days to hopefully lose some weight. Monday through yesterday I met or exceeded calorie goals, and had as balanced a diet as I can have in my personal life. What that means is that I was under calorie budget every day, and that I didn't waste calories on junk food. I wouldn't meet DonnyY's standard, but it's as good as I can do on my schedule demand.

I have very advanced arthritis in both knees, so the rest of exercise will probably not be strenuous. I have a yoga routine I like, and now I have made a space for it, might fit that in sometime today.

I have lost about 6 pounds so far.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by tobismom View Post
    I have a very strenuous job in a very big place, so I walk at least 2-3 miles a day at the minimum. We all walk like lightning because the place is so big.

Anyway, I'm managing my food these days to hopefully lose some weight. Monday through yesterday I met or exceeded calorie goals, and had as balanced a diet as I can have in my personal life. What that means is that I was under calorie budget every day, and that I didn't waste calories on junk food. I wouldn't meet DonnyY's standard, but it's as good as I can do on my schedule demand.

I have very advanced arthritis in both knees, so the rest of exercise will probably not be strenuous. I have a yoga routine I like, and now I have made a space for it, might fit that in sometime today.

I have lost about 6 pounds so far.
    Great job! My BIL has knee issues and he swears by icing his knees at night. He lost 90 lbs(!!!) and said that helped a lot but the nightly icing made it bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Doing weights only or mixing with some cardio? My number one son is a beast on the elliptical. That kid can go full force for an hour and barely break a sweat, I'm dying after 30 minutes of good effort.
    We run two miles to start and then do whatever we're doing that night as far as body work. I know what you mean about these boys though. I'm having a tough time keeping up with my boy. I used to workout 3 or 4 times a week but had cut down to just once a week over the last year until he wanted to get back in there. You know how old I am, so, I'm not old but I'm not as young as I used to be. I know what you feel like.

These boys are relentless when they get to work in the gym, though. I think it's good, but, I feel the same way. I can't hang with the young buck like I could before. Is a sad reality of life, I suppose. like you said, they don't even break a sweat.

ok.. who's got the seinor zumba? where? WANT

wait.. that's Latin music, right? where are the classes to Pink Floyd?
    Last edited by opal; 08-22-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IDK what weight routines to give you oldsters, but you should do HIIT (high intensity interval training). It's been studied for many moons and has been shown to be effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    ok.. who's got the seinor zumba? where? WANT

wait.. that's Latin music, right? where are the classes to Pink Floyd?
    Modern dance.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

We run two miles to start and then do whatever we're doing that night as far as body work. I know what you mean about these boys though. I'm having a tough time keeping up with my boy. I used to workout 3 or 4 times a week but had cut down to just once a week over the last year until he wanted to get back in there. You know how old I am, so, I'm not old but I'm not as young as I used to be. I know what you feel like.

These boys are relentless when they get to work in the gym, though. I think it's good, but, I feel the same way. I can't hang with the young buck like I could before. Is a sad reality of life, I suppose. like you said, they don't even break a sweat.
    Have the boys got an organized routine or a coach? If not, they should. If you don't have some sort of structure, you can't measure progress and may wind up doing counter productive work. My training blog is here: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...115618&page=39 and there are lots of other bloggers on that site as well to imitate and ask questions of.

@Suz-keep a diet/exercise blog. It keeps you honest and organized.

I just bought a new pair of running shoes and got horrible blisters on the balls of my feet. I usually wrap my feet in Leukotape to keep that from happening but I couldn't find it last Wednesday and regrettably decided to run without blister protection.

When I got home, I looked around on Amazon and found ENGO patches that you put in your shoes to prevent blisters. I figured what the hell and ordered them. Those things work great! They seem to stick securely in your shoes and the best part is I don't have to tape my feet every time I run.

These are the ones I bought...
    http://smile.amazon.com/Blister-Prev...E7A6B8469YVYBY

I recently weighed over 150lbs, finally all that eating starts to pay off.
    "I am a bird"

I just bought a new pair of running shoes and got horrible blisters on the balls of my feet. I usually wrap my feet in Leukotape to keep that from happening but I couldn't find it last Wednesday and regrettably decided to run without blister protection.

When I got home, I looked around on Amazon and found ENGO patches that you put in your shoes to prevent blisters. I figured what the hell and ordered them. Those things work great! They seem to stick securely in your shoes and the best part is I don't have to tape my feet every time I run.

These are the ones I bought...
    A luxury I don't get in the blister-y sort of stuff I do. No room in ballet shoes for any sort of pad like that. Chicks who do pointe work make some pretty neat little makeshift splint-like things FWIW.

The wife and I have tried yoga (Rodney Yee video) a few years back and it certainly did help in the flexibility department but it did not do much for muscle development and we eventually quit after a long vacation that broke our schedule. Never did start again. I've watched my weight steadily climb over the past 5 years and finally bought one of those weight lifting dvd series (The Beast). I started doing it and then my 98 pound wife started with me (using 2-6 pound dumbells). After 6 months (with two 3 week breaks for trips to China and Europe) we are still sticking with it and although my weight has not decreased I can definately see a difference as fat changes to muscle. I don't have all my belly gone yet but I feel that in another 6 months it will be. The reason I chose this DVD is because all you really need is some dumbells and a bench. I've progressed to using up to 35 pound dumbells for some of the routines and my shrimpy wife is now using 10 pounders for some of her routines. She's afraid of getting "manly" looking but I've assured her that will not happen unless she progresses to 20 pounders and up (and I know that will never happen). Of course our energy and abilities have gone up with the progress. Stairs are much easier and so is pretty much everything else. As far as diet I just try not to eat as much in the evening. I'm a chocoholic so sometimes I will skip dinner and eat some chocolate instead. Cutting back on eating is always the hardest part but as you age you need less food but instead we tend to eat MORE food and so we grow quite wide...

Anyway, for 63 I'm feeling pretty good. If I don't drop dead from some cancer or disease I'll probably be around a while longer...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a very strenuous job with a lot of walking, standing, and heavy stuff.

In any case, I wear a FitBit every day. I manage my food with Lose It! It's a free app available for iPhone and Android. I get about 3 miles a day walking, and I do yoga at home based on DVDs from a local instructor. Wish I was able to fit in a class or two during the week, but that's probably not going to happen until after the first of the year.

I've lost about 13 pounds.
    #NashvilleStrong

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I feel your pain. I just got a new pair of sandals and this time I went with the grippy rubber footbed instead of the ultra comfy leather like I usually do. 18 holes of disc golf yesterday has left me hobbled with a big welty blister on the ball of both feet.
    Get these. You won't regret it. I don't even need to tape my feet unless I plan on running more than a few miles - which is never, lol.

http://smile.amazon.com/Rectangle-Bl...s=blister+pads
    Last edited by Suzanimal; 09-24-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Get these. You won't regret it. I don't even need to tape my feet unless I plan on running more than a few miles - which is never, lol.

We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site
    Oops.

http://smile.amazon.com/Rectangle-Bl...s=blister+pads

//
    Last edited by TomtheTinker; 09-25-2015 at 08:29 PM.
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I lift weights 3-4 days a weeks and throw around boxes and books 40 hours a week. I eat half $#@!ty half good. I'm strong but have a belly. I must find discipline but everybody Around me cooks good food!
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." —Jeff Cooper

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Quote Originally Posted by TomtheTinker View Post
    I lift weights 3-4 days a weeks and throw around boxes and books 40 hours a week. I eat half $#@!ty half good. I'm strong but have a belly. I must find discipline but everybody Around me cooks good food!
    Sounds like your belly will disappear if you cut out the junk. I know it's tough but your body will thank you. My stomach hasn't been completely flat since I had kids but I recently cut out dairy (except for a bit of unsweetened coconut milk in my coffee) and have been very strict about my calories (eating paleo And calorie counting - around 500 calories a day) and in two weeks I've seen a dramatic difference. I've lost 8 lbs - an inch in my baby bump and an inch off each thigh. On the downside, I've also lost an inch on my bust. Mr Animal has been bragging that his rack is bigger than mine. O_o

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sounds like your belly will disappear if you cut out the junk. I know it's tough but your body will thank you. My stomach hasn't been completely flat since I had kids but I recently cut out dairy (except for a bit of unsweetened coconut milk in my coffee) and have been very strict about my calories (eating paleo And calorie counting - around 500 calories a day) and in two weeks I've seen a dramatic difference. I've lost 8 lbs - an inch in my baby bump and an inch off each thigh. On the downside, I've also lost an inch on my bust. Mr Animal has been bragging that his rack is bigger than mine. O_o
    psst... coconut milk isn't dairy.. gotta come from a tit to be dairy

No exercise other than chores. Stopped drinking alcohol and eating carbs. Down over 40lbs since July 14. Weighed over 215 now 170. Many days I eat only once.

psst... coconut milk isn't dairy.. gotta come from a tit to be dairy
    Well, I'm doing better than I thought then. Duh...

Icing at night is a very good option to bear the pain!

As of today, I have lost 14 pounds. Bp 112/60 at the doctor's this morning.
    #NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by chistina43 View Post
    Icing at night is a very good option to bear the pain!
    I keep a tub of frosting on head for sugar emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    As of today, I have lost 14 pounds. Bp 112/60 at the doctor's this morning.
    Great job! My bp was 107/58 last time I went to Publix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast