Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with 20 acres of Farmland?

What would you do with 20 acres of Farmland?

Boom! You just got handed 20 acres of farmland - not much but its yours to do as you please ....

What would you do with the land?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    secede from the union and make my own country called farmtopia
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

The first thing I would do is file the proper permits to start farming
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    rofl, make sure you get a lawyer too in case monsanto seeds spread to your farm
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

- Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

I'd plant an orchard and build a really large 2 or 3 story log cabin house. And a huge man-made pond. With big boulders in it. And I'd make a really high hill for sledding in the winter time. Which I'd surround by large pine trees. And I'd build a baseball field. With lights. And I'd likely scatter a bunch of bird houses about because I like to see the Cardinals and Bluejays on pine trees in the winter when they are covered in snow.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-19-2015 at 11:42 PM.

And some horses with a nice corral...

and a petting zoo

- Edward R. Murrow

Well , looks like no trees , so , nothing fun like farming whiskey . I can help you out , but I need annual rainfall and geographic area.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You can make money on that little of acreage. You just need to grow specialty crops. Corn and Soybeans isn't going to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post
    Boom! You just got handed 20 acres of farmland - not much but its yours to do as you please ....

I'd have to make some hills. Being a native East Tennessean, I get paranoid when I don't have a hill to git behind.

(what I would do)
    "I am a bird"

I would go 100% self sustaining. I would calculate the annual vegetable and meat requirements for 4 people, set up crops, seed crops, and farm animals (male and female) to continue to provide that volume of vegetables and meat, sell half of it, put 1/4 if it up for storage, and live on the remainder. As my food stored flushed out and I had a year of food in long term storage I would start recruiting people for my survival compound. First person (second year) shift to selling 1/4 of the yield, eating half (between us) and putting up another 1/4. Second person (third year) eat 3/4 and put up 1/4 and only sell any excess above plan. Third person (fourth year) tweak my food production plan to increase yields now that I have extra hands to help me work the farm. Finally, dig in and wait for the zombie apocalypse.

I would lease the land out to someone who wants to grow crops on it.

double post rather than edit, oops.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I would go 100% self sustaining. I would calculate the annual vegetable and meat requirements for 4 people, set up crops, seed crops, and farm animals (male and female) to continue to provide that volume of vegetables and meat, sell half of it, put 1/4 if it up for storage, and live on the remainder. As my food stored flushed out and I had a year of food in long term storage I would start recruiting people for my survival compound. First person (second year) shift to selling 1/4 of the yield, eating half (between us) and putting up another 1/4. Second person (third year) eat 3/4 and put up 1/4 and only sell any excess above plan. Third person (fourth year) tweak my food production plan to increase yields now that I have extra hands to help me work the farm. Finally, dig in and wait for the zombie apocalypse.
    Well that's the other possibility.. 20 acres feeds a lot of people though so there would be lots of selling if you can find a market.
    "I am a bird"

First I'd talk to my neighbors, find out when they are going out of town and hold some giant rave/festivals.

Then I would setup a sustainable minimal water organic farm based on permaculture techniques using about half the acreage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rKDXuZ8C0

The other half would be some type of pasture for animals. Not sure how I'd design the whole thing yet. I'd probably have the pastures going between the growing areas, many of which would have trees to provide shade to the pasture.

I would look into whether i could/should dig a well, or dig the current well deeper.

I would get solar panels and some of those bladeless wind turbines and convert the power into hydrogen, store it in tanks, and use the hydrogen for my energy needs.

Hydrogen powered tractor...
    Last edited by dannno; 08-20-2015 at 03:15 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does it have a well?

Is it fenced?

Are the people in the house family?

How's your credit?

To answer your question kind of, I'd try to make a small profit off the land, enough to "improve" it yearly.

How I'd go about that depends on the questions I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    First I'd talk to my neighbors, find out when they are going out of town and hold some giant rave/festivals.

Hydrogen powered tractor...
    I can tell you're independently wealthy and have never farmed before....

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiat's The Law View Post

Congratulations if that is now yours. Am a little envious as rural land is about all I desire anymore.
    The yellow perimeter looks larger than 20 acres.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I can tell you're independently wealthy and have never farmed before....
    I have farmed on my own property, small scale.

I think a hydrogen powered tractor would be good in a SHTF scenario since fuel may not be available.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I have farmed on my own property, small scale.

I think a hydrogen powered tractor would be good in a SHTF scenario since fuel may not be available.
    Better to get some horses or something like that, they require less spare parts.
    "I am a bird"

First thing is to clear out the neighbors in the photograph. Go to the country commission and start working on a pig CAFO plan. Maybe they'll buy you out and you can reinvest in 40 acres someplace else. Rinse, lather, repeat!

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    You have to have a permit now, to farm your land? WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Rogue View Post
    Congratulations if that is now yours. Am a little envious as rural land is about all I desire anymore.
    The yellow perimeter looks larger than 20 acres.
    Henry Rogue, that just about killed me. Thanks for sharing Buddy Rey's quote. I miss him so much.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If history predicts the future, I'd let some $#@!s steal it from me.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I'd donate it to the DNR
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Actually, truth be known... I would buy a camper and park my arse there... create a chicken coop... create a water source (WELL) . If you have protein from eggs, and water, a gun of course .... you can survive anything. Might not be what you had in mind for dinner, but when the SHTF scenario, protein and water will see you through.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post

(what I would do)
    Smart man. Grow bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

In all honesty, in my situation right now, I would sell it. It would just be a distraction. Not that farms aren't great, I've lived on a farm. But... a time to every purpose under heaven. Right now for me is focus time and change the world time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast