Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthright citizenship

Birthright citizenship

Donald Trump has come out against birthright citizenship. In response, so did Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal. Looks like Rand has opposed it in the past.

Judge Napolitano says it is part of the Constitution: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/08/1...itano-explains

Can we get rid of birthright citizenship? Is it a matter of an original intent vs. textual interpretation?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sorry but the Judge is flat out wrong on this. The 14th amendment was about newly freed slaves after the War. They were American citizens. It has nothing to do with some woman running across the border and dropping a kid.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-27-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

14th Amendment Doesn't Make Illegal Aliens' Children Citizens

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articl...ldren-citizens

Many legal scholars believe that changing the policy would require changing the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, on which birthright citizenship is based. But “many” legal scholars is not the same thing as “all.”

Section 1 of the 14th Amendment begins this way: “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.”

The key phrase here is “subject to the jurisdiction thereof,” say some experts.

Illegal immigrants are not subject to US jurisdiction, in the sense that they cannot be drafted into the US military or tried for treason against the US, said John Eastman, a professor at the Chapman University School of Law, in a media conference call Monday. Their children would share that status, via citizenship in their parents’ nation or nations of birth – and so would not be eligible for a US passport, even if born on US soil, according to Dr. Eastman.

Furthermore, federal courts have upheld the right of Congress to regulate naturalization policies over and above the basic constitutional guarantee, according to Eastman. Taken together, he says, all this means lawmakers, if they choose, could deny birthright citizenship to the children of parents here illegally.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...e-Constitution

Technically there is no birthright citizenship, it is a misunderstanding of the 14th Amendment.

We are working with 2 levels here: Constitutional Law and Statutory Law

Constitutional Law defines a Natural Born Citizen as a person born to a citizen father of the United States.

Statutory law citizens as all those born or naturalized under the jurisdiction of the US or among the states. This includes naturalized at birth.

Congress can define statues, but not constitutional law.

xxxxx
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    I have two friends from India who were in the US on student visas. They never became US citgizens. They were not subject to the military draft laws. Their children, born on US soil, are US citizens (have all the government issued paperwork based simply upon their birth on US soil). The family returned to India while the children were still in elementary school. The children returned to the US to attend college and didn't require student visas to do so. The children are old enough to vote in US elections and do so. The children continue to reside in the US as US citizens - and, in fact, are now the US side of a US/India import/export business.

And they shouldn't be.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Donald Trump has come out against birthright citizenship. In response, so did Scott Walker and Bobby Jindal. Looks like Rand has opposed it in the past.

Judge Napolitano says it is part of the Constitution: http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/08/1...itano-explains

Can we get rid of birthright citizenship? Is it a matter of an original intent vs. textual interpretation?
    In case no body has been paying attention , the Communist Dem party rules. The Pubs barely beat Gore , Kerry and lost to Obummer twice while Obummer care became law. This tells me , the current immigration as a whole will continue on as is .The next economic collapse may continue to cut the numbers of illegals coming in, that is the best hope for any who consider this issue a top priority.Any person of sound mind should easily understand that at least one parent should be a citizen for a child born here to be a citizen .This does not help the ruling party of the senate though and you have a supreme court that cannot read law.

Birthright citizens' advocates never touch the topic of no other nation in history ever granting citizenship on this basis and why that may be.

We should amend the Constitution and make it perfectly clear.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

The 14th amendment was never intended to apply to foreigners.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    In case no body has been paying attention , the Communist Dem party rules. The Pubs barely beat Gore , Kerry and lost to Obummer twice while Obummer care became law. This tells me , the current immigration as a whole will continue on as is .The next economic collapse may continue to cut the numbers of illegals coming in, that is the best hope for any who consider this issue a top priority.Any person of sound mind should easily understand that at least one parent should be a citizen for a child born here to be a citizen .This does not help the ruling party of the senate though and you have a supreme court that cannot read law.
    Yes. The Truth has Been Spoken. We need to destroy the cursed village to save it.

Trump wants to get rid of birthright citizenship retroactively or deport by force US citizens.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-27-2016 at 05:23 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Actually it would really piss me off if my parents were vacationing in Uganda, delivered me early and now I was a Uganda citizen. This entire birthright law doesn't make sense whatsoever. It seems to me if your parents are citizens of a certain country, wherever you are born, you are a citizen of the same country your parents are; not where the chicken layed the egg.

The 14th Amendment begins:
    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.
    The phrase "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is not a redundancy. It is there to distinguish the persons born in the USA who are citizens from those born in the USA who are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    The children returned to the US to attend college and didn't require student visas to do so. The children are old enough to vote in US elections and do so. The children continue to reside in the US as US citizens - and, in fact, are now the US side of a US/India import/export business.
    All of this is good. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The 14th Amendment begins:

The phrase "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" is not a redundancy. It is there to distinguish the persons born in the USA who are citizens from those born in the USA who are not.
    It is there so that former slaves could not be denied the privileges of citizens.

"Birthright citizenship" for illegal aliens is like saying that if you rob a bank you can keep the money.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 06-27-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    "Birthright citizenship" for illegal aliens is like saying that if you rob a bank you can keep the money.
    I'm not for birthright citizenship.

But that's not a good analogy, since illegal immigration is not a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    Sorry but the Judge is flat out wrong on this. The 14th amendment was about newly freed slaves after the War. They were American citizens. It has nothing to do with some woman running across the border and dropping a kid.
    100% correct

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is nothing to get rid of, other than the wrong view that the 14th amendment includes the children of aliens. Similarly we don't need to have the first amendment include bloggers as a people to retain the freedoms of speech.

Quote Originally Posted by William R View Post
    14th Amendment Doesn't Make Illegal Aliens' Children Citizens

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articl...ldren-citizens
    Good article. In part saying
    Many today assume the second half of the citizenship clause ("subject to the jurisdiction thereof") merely refers to the day-to-day laws to which we are all subject. But the original understanding referred to political allegiance. Being subject to U.S. jurisdiction meant, as then-Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee Lyman Trumbull stated, "not owing allegiance to anybody else [but] subject to the complete jurisdiction of the United States."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    We should amend the Constitution and make it perfectly clear.
    This just makes the opposition's argument legitimate. Do we need an amendment to the other amendments when some say the language isn't clear?

are children born in U.S. territorial waters U.S. citizens?
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJeff View Post
    This just makes the opposition's argument legitimate. Do we need an amendment to the other amendments when some say the language isn't clear?
    It doesn't make the oppositions case legitimate, but it could completely eliminate their case.

But, yes, the original intent is clear, and the Courts should interpret it according to the original intent.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Birthright citizenship policy makes us a nation of suckers:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ion-of-suckers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast