Thread: In depth interview with Rand Paul in New Hampshire

In depth interview with Rand Paul in New Hampshire

Rand Paul for Peace

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great interview. Relaxed. On point. Knowledgeable. Presidential.

I hope he gets their endorsement.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Not a lot of presidential candidates have extended sit downs like this where they get into specifics.

BTW, Union Leader is one of the outlets that were embargoed by the temporary front runner, cause he didn't like what they wrote abut him.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    BTW, Union Leader is one of the outlets that were embargoed by the temporary front runner
    Yeah, that's why I didn't watch the interview. I boycotted Union Leader.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Yeah, that's why I didn't watch the interview. I boycotted Union Leader.
    Because they were mean to an asshat.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Great interview. Relaxed. On point. Knowledgeable. Presidential.

I hope he gets their endorsement.
    My thoughts exactly. Rand made a very good pitch here. The only nitpick I have is his attire and posture, it fits his style but it didn't seem to match the setting.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Crashland View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Rand made a very good pitch here. The only nitpick I have is his attire and posture, it fits his style but it didn't seem to match the setting.
    It reminds me of one really smart professor I had. He basically lay down in two chairs when listening to talks, he was so relaxed. But he was really smart, maybe there is something about that attitude.
    Last edited by jj-; 08-13-2015 at 08:49 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Agree. I can't understand why this polished campaign team isn't coaching him better on body language. I ran for town council when I was a kid and I was paying more attention than Rand seems to on gestures and posture. He also has adopted one of his father's verbal ticks- "you know" before he makes a point.

I'm only 10 minutes in but it is good so far. He really does benefit from being able to go in depth.

Regarding his dress and body language, I'm not sure if this video is meant to or will be seen by many people.

It doesn't look like it was recorded to play on TV or anything.

It seemed like it was just an interview so that the couple newspaper reporters and the editor could get to know him and his positions, and get a few quotes for this article they posted.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...61/1010/news06

Took some notes almost half way through..

- Would keep mortgage and charitable deduction with %14.5 flat tax.

- Supports term limits.

- Too coincidental they indicted staffers day before the debate - Obama DOJ.

- IRS. Would let go those responsible for scandal. Would get rid of IRS or most of the IRS.

- Will do whatever he could through executive order to make the government smaller and undo whatever has been done through executive order to reduce the size of government.

- Immigration - enforce current law, secure border first, thinking about a plan that if we are allowing 1 million a year then assimilate the 11 million that are already here at a rate of integrating 1 million a year. Instead of deporting them, legalize.

- As far as the debate would have 4 minutes if he did not fight for the extra 1 minute. Should have got more time based on which candidate does best against Clinton.

- LP difficult to grow, debate commission controlled by Democrats and Republicans makes it difficult for 3rd party candidates.

- Rand pledges to support the nominee if he loses.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Moon View Post
    I'm only 10 minutes in but it is good so far. He really does benefit from being able to go in depth.

Regarding his dress and body language, I'm not sure if this video is meant to or will be seen by many people.

It doesn't look like it was recorded to play on TV or anything.

It seemed like it was just an interview so that the couple newspaper reporters and the editor could get to know him and his positions, and get a few quotes for this article they posted.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...61/1010/news06
    Reminds of when Ron did this in 2012 in NH. I am guessing it was probably the same paper.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Audio warning at 16 minutes. My poor ears.

i thought it matched the setting...while it was recorded...this was really no difference than a conversation between friends. very relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    16:10. Large DB increase.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You warned me and I forgot... that was uncomfortable...

Good interview. I keep thinking how reasoned and thoughtful Rand sounds.

Rand did a really smart and positive thing here to contrast himself from the current frontrunner, sitting down and quietly laying out the specifics of his policy priorities. It was a "lead by example" demonstration (which starkly contrasts from a show of fact-free, egotistical bombast), that is a much more effective criticism of Trump than directly attacking the Donald. Rand's blatant attacks have resulted in Trump trying to humiliate Rand as he has the other candidates. This video says, "I'm Rand, and my candidacy doesn't revolve around the other guy."
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 08-14-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

wow the table might as well been the oval office desk... nice interview.

tho whats up with the spy cam angles?? lol

Jan2017

Endorsement by Union-Leader would be HUGE, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    You warned me and I forgot... that was uncomfortable...

Good interview. I keep thinking how reasoned and thoughtful Rand sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    Rand did a really smart and positive thing here to contrast himself from the current frontrunner, sitting down and quietly laying out the specifics of his policy priorities. It was a "lead by example" demonstration (which starkly contrasts from a show of fact-free, egotistical bombast), that is a much more effective criticism of Trump than directly attacking the Donald. Rand's blatant attacks have resulted in Trump trying to humiliate Rand as he has the other candidates. This video says, "I'm Rand, and my candidacy doesn't revolve around the other guy."
    LOL, I also forgot the warning and flinched.

This was a really great interview. It's not a fiery speech, but he's able to go in depth and explain details about every topic. If you know anyone that is curious about Rand and wants to seriously look at him this would be a good video to show them. Even some of Ron's supporters that are unsure about where Rand stands should be pleased with most of his answers.

It really does show the contrast and what makes him different. He is able to go in detail and speak for an hour about actual policy issues and what he wants to do as President. And does it sounding knowledgeable, intelligent and "presidential".

It would be awesome if he were able to do a full 30 minute sit down TV interview or something in this style.

"“My best influence is to bring the Republican Party to the Libertarian side of the issues.”

And I have to say Rand you’re just not doing a very good job of this. And if you lose and lose badly , many libertarians (Justin Raimondo for example) are going to conclude there simply is no hope for the GOP as its currently constituted, Because it’s clearly obvious that even if they lose the White House they’ve offset this by winning everything else and by large margins. So they have no incentive to change, especially in the areas which they have power and exercise it. Only a spectacular defeat which cost them power, especially in places where they currently hold power, might change their thinking. But when you consider where the party was after losing in 2008 compared to now, it’s a joke. No self-respecting libertarian would have anything to do with it.

I find it hilarious Rand is urging libertarians to become Republicans but his flunkies are more than happy to cold call LP members for money and make up lies about the LP endorsing him. Is he going to try the Constitution Party next? After all, he is a “constitutional conservative”.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Paul View Post
    "“My best influence is to bring the Republican Party to the Libertarian side of the issues.”

And I have to say Rand you’re just not doing a very good job of this. And if you lose and lose badly , many libertarians (Justin Raimondo for example) are going to conclude there simply is no hope for the GOP as its currently constituted, Because it’s clearly obvious that even if they lose the White House they’ve offset this by winning everything else and by large margins. So they have no incentive to change, especially in the areas which they have power and exercise it. Only a spectacular defeat which cost them power, especially in places where they currently hold power, might change their thinking. But when you consider where the party was after losing in 2008 compared to now, it’s a joke. No self-respecting libertarian would have anything to do with it.

I find it hilarious Rand is urging libertarians to become Republicans but his flunkies are more than happy to cold call LP members for money and make up lies about the LP endorsing him. Is he going to try the Constitution Party next? After all, he is a “constitutional conservative”.
    I have no desire to get into an off-topic debate, but this is bizarre.

We are the only ones who can help change the opposition party (GOP) from a reactionary-at-worst to status-quo-at-best political organization. It's our job to bring intelligence and ideas to the party. Some people in the movement will be more political, less savvy, closer to us an ideas, further towards the status quo.

Find your allies, push your common goal and make us a force to be reckoned with.

If we nit-pick our way to obscurity what is the point?
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitMan View Post
    I have no desire to get into an off-topic debate, but this is bizarre.

We are the only ones who can help change the opposition party (GOP) from a reactionary-at-worst to status-quo-at-best political organization. It's our job to bring intelligence and ideas to the party. Some people in the movement will be more political, less savvy, closer to us an ideas, further towards the status quo.

Find your allies, push your common goal and make us a force to be reckoned with.

If we nit-pick our way to obscurity what is the point?
    If we compromise our way to irrelevancy what is the point? And why can't we find our allies and push common goals separate from one of the major parties, that have repeatedly shown they are permanently owned lock, stock and barrel by the elite special interests? How can you be a force within an establishment party that exists to neutralize or co-opt alternative movements, as they have done to all the others in the past?

Badger's point remains, the current movement has gone three times to the well trying to succeed through the Republican party, and if Rand fails to make headway as well, despite playing politics the whole way, some will give up altogether, and others will return to supporting only openly principled, non-compromising liberty candidates. It will be time to cut losses and proceed to make our effort an entirely independent-based, grassroots project. The GOP path will be thereafter regarded as fool's gold.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 08-16-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by jtap View Post
    16:10. Large DB increase.
    Good - will test it out in the UColorado Boulder Wolf Law Building lobby for maximum wall bending seismic activity -
    full volume on an iMac gets pretty loud !

"$300,000 for a study on Japanese quail to see if they are more promiscuous on coccaine . . . ?"
    "They probably are "

Rand: "Number one threat to national security is debt - don't deal from a position of strength by bankruptcy"
    Last edited by Jan2017; 08-17-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Holy cow that was fantastic.

A must watch for everyone. Nice depth across every topic, immigration, debt, budget, foreign policy, privacy, etc.

President Paul!

The Chump can not hold a candle to this statesman.
    Last edited by georgiaboy; 08-18-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    The bigger government gets, the smaller I wish it was.
    My new motto: More Love, Less Laws