Thread: Conza in Hawaii

Conza in Hawaii

G'day!

Right, so I was originally looking to move to Boulder, CO or somewhere else in the States. That was put on the back-burner for a bit but am certainly still interested.

The purpose of this thread though is to indicate I'll be in Kona, Hawaii next month from 20 September to about 12th October.

Just wondering if there were any local meetups? Any recommendations people have in terms of activities, places to visit? Very keen to get a local experience.

Cheers
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Big Island, eh? I could hook you up with some cool cats in Kaua’i. Kona, not so much. Have fun. Never been but need to take a trip there.

My sister is a physician and practiced in Hawaii in Ewa Beach and she loved it. But she was a white woman so there was a lot of racism directed toward her. The cost of living was high too.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Big Island, eh? I could hook you up with some cool cats in Kaua’i. Kona, not so much. Have fun. Never been but need to take a trip there.
    Thanks. Yeah will mostly be in Kona. There for Ironman World Champships n' a few things beforehand.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Worthy Threads:

Maybe look up Mike Rivero from http://whatreallyhappened.com
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Cool! Conza gets to be more or less in the heart of the Evil Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Maybe look up Mike Rivero from http://whatreallyhappened.com
    Haha was this in jest?

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Cool! Conza gets to be more or less in the heart of the Evil Empire.
    Think they'll let me in?

Worthy Threads:

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Will be there for a triathlon camp; similarly staying on to Everest Manua Kea, and then support some mates racing in the Ironman World Championships.

Worthy Threads:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kona side? If someone has a membership... Well then Costco of course! Cheapest lunch in Kona. We've occasionally done stay-cations over on Kona side and always bring the cooler and hit costco first. Saves a ton.

Local experience? Don't be afraid to stop at any and all road side food vendors.
    'Chinese Pretzel'
    'Smoke Meat'
    'Honto Rice'
    'Lau lau'
    'Pasteles'
    'Dried Aku'

If you don't know what they're selling, ask them to explain. We have some great ones on the Hilo side, I imagine there are a few over Kona side. Support cash only business!

Hawaii Volcano Park area: -Some of the ones we like to drag our family/friends on- Pu'u Loa petroglyphs, Kilauea crater/Jagger Museum, Pu'u Hulhulu hike, "Thurston" lava tube, Kipukapuaulu/Bird Park Trail, etc. Plenty short day hikes in the park.

Mauna Loa Lookout (from hwy 11).

Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau/City of Refuge

Mauna Kea summit (if law allows it - empire is cracking down on protests against the empire) and Mauna Loa summit from Saddle Road.

Waipio Valley overlook, and/or down into the valley itself. Beautiful.

Don't recall if you enjoy beer or not-

Big Island Brew Haus in Waimea (also known as Kamuela) We checked this out with our son and daughter in law early this year. Way too many beer choices, all worth trying. I found two that I really liked. Food was really decent. We were all happy for the experience.

Hawaii Nui Loa Brewing in Hilo -get your fresh suds on tap to go. Very small tasting room/merch shop. Grabbed a growler of Kauaʻi Golden Ale for $9.38 to share with my neighbor the other day. 4 quality tap pints for under $2.50/pint. They were out of the seasonal stuff but Sept./Oct. might be good for their next seasonal brew. Besides their regulars, you never know what batches they will run. Some of their "mistake" batches are incredibly good. They sell glass and fancy metal growlers, I ended up buying a few glass to reuse, -if you wanted to save a few bucks they would probably be happy to put the beer in any 64 oz container you bring them.

There is a few for you to start. Will add to this thread as I recall what else we dig about this place. There is much more.

Last edited by bunklocoempire; 08-15-2015 at 02:24 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Kona side? If someone has a membership... Well then Costco of course! Cheapest lunch in Kona. We've occasionally done stay-cations over on Kona side and always bring the cooler and hit costco first. Saves a ton.

Local experience? Don't be afraid to stop at any and all road side food vendors.
    'Chinese Pretzel'
    'Smoke Meat'
    'Honto Rice'
    'Lau lau'
    'Pasteles'
    'Dried Aku'

If you don't know what they're selling, ask them to explain. We have some great ones on the Hilo side, I imagine there are a few over Kona side. Support cash only business!
    No membership. Thanks though. Those ones seem to be worth knowing.

Hawaii Volcano Park area: -Some of the ones we like to drag our family/friends on- Pu'u Loa petroglyphs, Kilauea crater/Jagger Museum, Pu'u Hulhulu hike, "Thurston" lava tube, Kipukapuaulu/Bird Park Trail, etc. Plenty short day hikes in the park.

Mauna Loa Lookout (from hwy 11).

Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau/City of Refuge

Mauna Kea summit (if law allows it - empire is cracking down on protests against the empire) and Mauna Loa summit from Saddle Road.

Waipio Valley overlook, and/or down into the valley itself. Beautiful.
    Why if "law allows" it? FYI I plan to ride up from Kona to Mauna Kea.... twice. Crazy?

Don't recall if you enjoy beer or not-

Big Island Brew Haus in Waimea (also known as Kamuela) We checked this out with our son and daughter in law early this year. Way too many beer choices, all worth trying. I found two that I really liked. Food was really decent. We were all happy for the experience.

Hawaii Nui Loa Brewing in Hilo -get your fresh suds on tap to go. Very small tasting room/merch shop. Grabbed a growler of Kauaʻi Golden Ale for $9.38 to share with my neighbor the other day. 4 quality tap pints for under $2.50/pint. They were out of the seasonal stuff but Sept./Oct. might be good for their next seasonal brew. Besides their regulars, you never know what batches they will run. Some of their "mistake" batches are incredibly good. They sell glass and fancy metal growlers, I ended up buying a few glass to reuse, -if you wanted to save a few bucks they would probably be happy to put the beer in any 64 oz container you bring them.

There is a few for you to start. Will add to this thread as I recall what else we dig about this place. There is much more.

Awesome. I'll be here for a triathlon camp for a week, then got a two week gap til the Ironman World Championships I have some friends who are competing.

Every tip helps! Anything I need to make sure I don't do? Or things to avoid?

Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post

Why if "law allows" it? FYI I plan to ride up from Kona to Mauna Kea.... twice. Crazy?
    The "law" is having issues with consistency because it has shunned property rights... *The Kanaka Maoli (Indigenous Hawaiians) have issues with a new telescope being built on Mauna Kea. There were some protests and road blocking to prevent construction. From what I understand the protesters were letting everyone go through EXCEPT those involved in construction. The state likes to flex it's muscles when the natives get restless <-- not a jab at the natives.

The state did some quick legislation to shut down the mountain to the protesters (they like to do that), and closed the road to the public to suit the states agenda.

All in the name of "safety".

Message being: Play the state's way or no one gets to enjoy the mountain. Well, no one except Hawaiians for religious reasons...sorta.... It's a clusterf*** typical of Hawaii governement force and ignoring property rights.

Keep an eye on this news site for info on access to the summit, our natural disaster happenings, etc:
    Big Island Video News

Here's a few of their little blurbs on the summit thing -there are other way more in depth stories about this issue out there:
    http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...auna-part-two/
    http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...eased-by-dlnr/
    http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...ng-dark-hours/

*TIP Kanaka Maoli are known less formally as Kanak-ahs. Probably won't come up in casual conversation but at least you know who folks might be talking about. Refer to Hawaiians or Kanaka Maoli'i as Hawaiians or Kanaka Maoli'i until you know who you are talking to.
    My step-son is a Kanaka.

More later.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

The "law" is having issues with consistency because it has shunned property rights... *The Kanaka Maoli (Indigenous Hawaiians) have issues with a new telescope being built on Mauna Kea. There were some protests and road blocking to prevent construction. From what I understand the protesters were letting everyone go through EXCEPT those involved in construction. The state likes to flex it's muscles when the natives get restless <-- not a jab at the natives.

The state did some quick legislation to shut down the mountain to the protesters (they like to do that), and closed the road to the public to suit the states agenda.

All in the name of "safety".
    Wait, what?! They've closed the road to Mauna Kea? FFS... for how long?

Will these protests be over by 27 Sept - 10 October?

I could careless about the protesters given I'd get through; but what are the chances with road closures? Will I need to chat to the cops? Any chance of detainment if I just ride around?

Worthy Threads:

Think they'll let me in?
    Can't say for sure, but speaking dollars is a convincing language to just about everyone in the lower 48.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Wait, what?! They've closed the road to Mauna Kea? FFS... for how long?
    Sorry! The road is open -for now. Anybody's guess when the next protests will occur and what the state's muscle flexing reaction will entail.

In 2007 we had a Gov. Linda Lingle call 'Unified Command'' when folks on Kauai were protesting a "Super Ferry" being illegally jammed down our throat. (thanks 9-11 "safety-money") Coast Guard skiffs with men on the 50 CAL encountering guys sitting on surf boards. http://honoluluweekly.com/cover/2007/10/unstoppable/

50 CAL at 5:30

Will these protests be over by 27 Sept - 10 October?

I could careless about the protesters given I'd get through; but what are the chances with road closures? Will I need to chat to the cops? Any chance of detainment if I just ride around?
    No idea about chances with road closures. I hope you don't need to chat up the cops. There is always a chance of detainment in an occupied country. Screw 'em.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 08-21-2015 at 01:08 AM.
    Ron Paul

Thank gawd it's open. Hopefully no protests when I'm there.

Is it ever closed? Or can I for instance drive up anytime and stargaze?

There's been some epic rain I hear as well?

Worthy Threads:

Big time rain, and it looks like we get another hurricane on Tuesday.

The Mauna Kea summit road closes for high wind, heavy snow, blizzard, ice, and now the state flexing it's muscle with the occasional protest.

You should be okay if the weather and such is okay.

Maybe you've done altitude before, but if you've never done altitude, it's nothing to mess around with. Take your time going up and coming down. In my younger days on Maui I could handle Haleakala's 10,000 foot summit pretty well -I was smoking cigarettes back then too. Ah youth. lol

The last time I went up Mauna Kea to 12,500 feet I came down too fast and felt pretty crappy for the rest of the day. Bad headache, a bit of nausea, and a foggier than usual mind.
    That was all new to me. It was kind of a surprise.

Speaking of Mauna Kea, there is a ranch road that the public can travel. It is called Mana Road and it is located along the east slopes of Mauna Kea.

We haven't done it ourselves yet, but it is definitely on our to do list. Sounds like some sections are 4wd, but I've also heard a reliable source tell it was easily done in a 2 wheel drive truck.
    There are a couple of vids of it on youtube, and from google earth it doesn't look too wild, but you never know. Big rain can easily washout the most robust roads/road features.

Be aware! We lose people yearly to these things.
    Some of this week's flash flooding, that Big Island Video News site has a FF vid of another area also:
    Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How's it all going over there?

I see the weather is cray cray?

Also - so there's no meetups happening? No Austro-Libertarian local groups I can attend in Hilo or something?

Worthy Threads:

A break in the weather for you -sun on the east side. Yay! A decent laundry day finally. lol
    Ron Paul