Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Brokered Convention

after March 15th all primaries and caucuses must be winner take all.

the establishment will just seat the Jeb delegates, and steal it as they did in 1940, 1952, 1976.

there is one way, and that would be if Trump had 45%, Jeb 45% and Rand 10%. if Rand played the game right, he could make a deal with one of the two, either to be Trump's VP (not a bad place, as Trump is nearly 70 and will be one term) or bluff all the way and offer Jeb the VP of Rand
    Last edited by cindy25; 09-03-2015 at 08:18 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    after March 15th all priaries must be winner take all.
    I've never heard of a winner take all prairie.

And we won't get anywhere this time by ignoring that several of the winner take all states are only winner take all if the winner gets a simple plurality of the votes. Which is unlikely in a race where the leader is only getting 30%, and that seems to be his ceiling because two thirds of Americans wouldn't trust him to inspect their cars' mufflers.

Got any more kindhearted words of discouragement to bolster our spirits with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    edit made.

the rules were set for Jeb, with Trump not expected.

You're still not making a lick of sense. You do realize that states pick their own delegates through the local party apparatus, right? And that 'winner take all' affects how a state votes (maybe, if one candidate gets a plurality in many cases, which is unlikely to happen this round), and the convention is in no way winner take all, right?

Want to try that message of gloom again and see if you can make it make sense?
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

No?

Too bad. Because they knew we were good at getting delegates into the hall when they threw every Republican, a Democrat or two, and the kitchen sink into this GOP primary race.

I'd sure like to know what they're up to with this. Have they got that much faith in the new Romney Rules they shoved through in 2012?

Jan2017

There are some winner take all primaries . . . or used to be.

But it comes down to bound delegates too - Romney took all delegates in some states after Santorum dropped out -
    Ron Paul stayed in . . . and Rand can now as well with the KY presidential caucus in March and Senate primary in May.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Who the hell cares? If we pack the house, we will vote for Trump just as often as the laws of our states require, and then the teleprompter will adjourn the convention and reconvene in some country club that doesn't allow libertarians on the property.

But at least the American people will be completely disabused of the notion that they live in a republic.
    We will vote for Trump? Speak for yourself. There is nothing that could get me to vote for that assclown Trump, nothing. I'd vote for Bush over Trump.

This is pointless, the convention won't be contested. Trump will be a distant memory by then having scandaled or bimbo exploded out of the race and Jeb will be nominated by consensus. There will probably be a decent contingent of Rand delegates who stand their ground just like Ron's did and I think that is good.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    We will vote for Trump? Speak for yourself. There is nothing that could get me to vote for that assclown Trump, nothing. I'd vote for Bush over Trump.
    Are you a delegate from your state to the national convention? Then you have the luxury of ignoring your state's laws governing delegates to national conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Are you a delegate from your state to the national convention? Then you have the luxury of ignoring your state's laws governing delegates to national conventions.
    I could be wrong, but I think that is what was changed at the last RNC.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

States can award all the delegates to the plurality winner if they hold their primary/caucus after a certain date. I think it's March 15. The RNC was banking on Jeb winning Florida and several of the later big states this way before Trump messed up their plans.

It's kind of a bummer that the Kentucky caucus is being held as early as it is. Presumably Rand will place first. I wonder if he just didn't have the juice to hold it later & do it winner-take-it-all.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    offer Jeb the VP of Rand
    That's a good way to get assassinated.

Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    And the supporters themselves, I think in this politically charged environment even if they don't consider our guy to be the most "anti-establishment" guy, I still don't see them simply abandoning their perceived anti-establishment streak just to throw their support to Bush.
    And one more point. You have to remember who these delegates are. The state party central committees have a lot of sway in deciding who the delegates are. They can massage and manipulate the delegate selection process. And these committees are mostly controlled by country-club Chamber types. So they can send a lot delegates to the convention who are committed to Cruz or Carson or even Trump (or even Rand, if we're not careful) on the first ballot, but the delegates aren't necessarily really supporting these candidates in their heart. They will jump over to Jeb as soon as they have a chance because that's who they are and that's who the Chamber wants.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12