Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: DOJ indicts Jesse Benton and John Tate

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Even if true, why would you say that?
    Because he was insulting Tom Woods.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    Because he was insulting Tom Woods.
    He called Tom Woods brilliant, and wished politicians were like him. He did not insult Tom Woods. He spoke the truth - Tom Woods does not have power, and wished it were not the case.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    He did not insult Tom Woods.
    I personally think he did. In this thread only indirectly (I can understand if you missed it), where he "merely" agreed with someone who called him an imbecile, but here directly:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Who cares?

These two [Lew Rockwell and Tom Woods] have zero understanding of electoral politics, or politics in general, and no knowledge or experience in the political field at all. In short, their opinions on the subject matter are no more relevant, prominent, or informed than anyone on the street.

Now regarding economics, history, and law they are both very learned scholars. Politically they are dolts.
    And relatively, that's mild. He's probably decided to back off and mix in underhanded compliments due to realizing the impossibility of making us hate Tom Woods. Many, many, other times he has expressed more forcefully his low, low opinion of Tom Woods. And it falls lower every time Tom criticizes Jesse Benton.

I am all for being nice to each other. But Matt Collins has, in my opinion, lost his way. He has simply lost his way. I stand with Tom Woods, I take Tom Woods' side in this perpetual "dispute", not that you can call it that, of meaningless nobodies presuming to criticize and insult their betters. Which Tom Woods is. Tom Woods is a stand-up, honorable man. Matt Collins has a problem with him only because of his absolute undying loyalty to Jesse Benton.

Looking back at his early posts, Collins used to be a decent person. Collins used to be someone I could relate to. Collins used to share many of the same values I cherish. I don't think he's a bad person. But what he did do, in the words of The Buttercream Gang, was pick the wrong friends, and ever since then he's been getting into trouble. Going down a dark, dead-end path. And probably feeling increasing frustration at the way his life is going.

There's my psycho-analysis. You can leave the nickel in the jar.
    Last edited by helmuth_hubener; 08-13-2015 at 06:41 PM.

I personally think he did. In this thread only indirectly (I can understand if you missed it), where he "merely" agreed with someone who called him an imbecile, but here directly:

And relatively, that's mild. He's probably decided to back off and mix in underhanded compliments due to realizing the impossibility of making us hate Tom Woods. Many, many, other times he has expressed more forcefully his low, low opinion of Tom Woods. And it falls lower every time Tom criticizes Jesse Benton.

I am all for being nice to each other. But Matt Collins has, in my opinion, lost his way. He has simply lost his way. I stand with Tom Woods, I take Tom Woods' side in this perpetual "dispute", not that you can call it that, of meaningless nobodies presuming to criticize and insult their betters. Which Tom Woods is. Tom Woods is a stand-up, honorable man. Matt Collins has a problem with him only because of his absolute undying loyalty to Jesse Benton.

Looking back at his early posts, Collins used to be a decent person. Collins used to be someone I could relate to. Collins used to share many of the same values I cherish. I don't think he's a bad person. But what he did do, in the words of The Buttercream Gang, was pick the wrong friends, and ever since then he's been getting into trouble. Going down a dark, dead-end path. And probably feeling increasing frustration at the way his life is going.

There's my psycho-analysis. You can leave the nickel in the jar.
    I'm thinking that collinz character and the rest hate Tom Woods because he makes them all look like the incompetent junior high school students that they really are. The vast amount of incredible talent that many volunteers showed (until they were made irrelevant by official staff) was ignored. The Pauls treat their supporters like they don't exist - until they need more money.

Imagine if Ron Paul had listened to Woods and others that actually know how to present an argument.

Instead we all got Benton and company, and Benton got an Audi, a Million Dollar House and his wife got a gold rolex. What a disgrace.

I remember when I first heard about the allegations that the paul campaign bribed someone to switch sides. I thought it was preposterous. I stood up for Ron with every last bit of energy I had. Told people on other boards that they didn't know Ron Paul and wouldn't know integrity if it slapped their faces. Now I think Ron knew about it.

I was taken for a fool and won't be making that mistake again. Enough with political families. Those in the fight for liberty shouldn't let this happen again.

[Matt] probably decided to back off and mix in underhanded compliments due to realizing the impossibility of making us hate Tom Woods. Many, many, other times he has expressed more forcefully his low, low opinion of Tom Woods.
    For all that he claims to admire the "brilliance" of Tom Woods, I don't recall Matt ever posting much (if anything) favorable towards, by or about Woods - except when he then proceeds to crap on him. You'd think that someone who professes to think so highly of Tom's "brilliance" on such a variety of subjects (history, economics, etc.) would at least occasionally bother to post something of substantive relevance by Tom, without further qualification. But at this point, I am very skeptical that Matt has ever had anything but the most cursory familiarity with any of Tom's output - if even that much. (As I noted in the other thread - the one from which HH pulled that quote from Matt - I doubt that Matt had even bothered to listen to what Tom had to say before pissing on him about it.)

IOW: All of Matt's complimentary effusions regarding Tom Woods just turn out to be the deceitful handshake that comes before the knife in the back.

There's a word for people like that. Several, in fact ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    What really bothers me, is RON Paul getting involved with Porter Stansberry. Why, why would he do that? Why!?!?!

http://briandeer.com/stansberry/stan...rch-scam-1.htm

There are ways to get rich quick, but they involve SUBSTANTIAL risk of loss. Let me tell you, to achieve just something beautiful like 20% returns consistently, is practically unicorn level. If you ever see these "I turned $3,000 into $300,000 and it was SIMPLE!", just walk away. YES, you COULD! But it's EXTREMELY likely you'll lose your $3,000, and the $500 you spent for one of the umpteen billion newsletters promising to give you secrets.

Just no, Ron. What a horrible, horrible idea.

I'm just...I'm just lost at the lack of judgment exhibited in all of this. It's really disappointing. I don't even read Ron Paul emails anymore because it's always tin-cup rattling for money.

Disappointing.
    +rep, giant truth in that.

///
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 08-13-2015 at 09:25 PM.

You're all wrong and none of you know what the hell you're talking about. I have many of Tom's books and listen to his podcasts etc.... But you can all go shove it for all I care.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

You're all wrong and none of you know what the hell you're talking about. I have many of Tom's books and listen to his podcasts etc.... But you can all go shove it for all I care.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Truth hurts. Don't go throwing tantrums because you thought it was a bright idea to hitch your wagons to crooks like Jesse Benton. You made your bed and now you're going to have to sleep in it, little fella.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty sucky alright. The media has been hard at Rand for over a month now. I've just been going to google news and searching for Rand and nothing but one hit piece after another has been popping up for quite some time now. And he has gotten very few interviews. ugh

I personally think the GOP establishment has set the fix for Jeb to be the nominee. The conservative vote is so split right now, that not a one of them are going to have the numbers. If Rand is going to break free, we are going to need a miracle. I am still hoping and praying for one.
    this 100%.

The establishment is not gonna take ANY chances whatsoever and allow Rand any traction.... they trolled Ron hard..... BUT, they only started hitting him hard AFTER he got a great foothold.... They will NOT give Rand that chance. They can't contend with more GOP'ers leaving the farm and getting wise to the establishment antics.

They will hit RAND VERY VERY HARD NOW UNTIL THE END..... They have Carson, Cruz, the fake Fiorina, the Fake Trump to carry the "conservative" mantle, while duping all the cows in the GOP farm.

If RAND lasts, and he can get some great backing from some billionaires.. then YES, he will have a chance and a voice.

But I agree --- they are in blast mode.. and they will not allow another Ron Paul moment to happen. It created the wave of a TON of new liberty candidates... they despise liberty.

BUT BUT BUT -- I am not quitting on supporting the liberty candidate.... Rand. Yeah, I donate money.. Yeah, I donate time...
    Maybe most of you need to ante up... too.
    Last edited by Lord Xar; 08-13-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Google Won’t Let the Government See the Emails of Rand Paul's Aides

The three Rand Paul aides who were indicted earlier this month are doing their best to turn the government case against them into an example of government overreach, and Google has taken their side in the fight.

In the summer of 2014, federal investigators began probing whether Ron Paul's 2012 presidential campaign had paid Iowa state Sen. Kent Sorenson for his endorsement. After Sorenson confessed, investigators focused on three other men, including current presidential candidate Rand Paul's nephew-in-law, Jesse Benton, whose email account supposedly contained evidence.

After a brief skirmish with Benton's attorney about accessing Benton's emails, FBI agents got a search warrant that entitled them to read the emails without Benton's cooperation. But the plan did not go smoothly. Benton has a Gmail account, and Google's policy is to notify users when their accounts have been hit with a search warrant. Benton's attorney, Roscoe Howard, promptly filed a motion to block the search warrant, alleging that it was improper, and Google stopped cooperating with the FBI.

That was almost a year ago. Two weeks ago, Benton and two other top Paul aides, John F. Tate and Dimitri Kesari, were indicted on federal charges, including conspiracy, campaign finance violations, and making false statements. Prosecutors accused the men of paying Sorenson more than $73,000, hiding the payments by funneling them through a third party, and lying on campaign finance filings to cover them up.

The FBI still hasn't gotten ahold of Benton's emails. Last week, a judge ruled that the FBI had a right to the emails, but once again, Benton resisted and Google agreed.

"Frighteningly, the government still maintains that it has the right to trample Mr. Benton’s privacy rights and look through every single one of Mr. Benton’s emails, just as if his email account were a warehouse full of documents," Howard wrote. "The government’s statement underscores its true intent—to conduct a fishing expedition."

The government has now demanded that Google be held in contempt if the company doesn't immediately turn over the emails, and it has argued that Benton and his attorney can raise their concerns at trial if they don't like the way the search warrant was obtained. Most people don't learn they're the target of a search warrant until it has already been executed, which means they don't have the opportunity to challenge the warrant until the evidence appears in court. But accessing emails is not like kicking down a door and finding a gun: Google controls access to the emails on its server, so the company's refusal to comply with the FBI—and its willingness to tell Benton about the warrant—not only changes the dynamic in this particular case; it could also create a precedent for others.
    Continue reading: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ver-paul-aides
    Rand Paul for Peace

^^^^^^^^^^^ This is big! ^^^^^^^^^^

Kudos to Google for doing the right thing!

Huh. I'm half-expecting a comparison to Clinton in light of this. Something along the lines of 'Well, if Clinton says she's got nothing to hide, why can't some of Rand Paul's aides, not even Paul himself, do the same thing?'

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ This is big! ^^^^^^^^^^

Kudos to Google for doing the right thing!
    so much for Google is in bed with NSA and forcing Americans to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You watch what happens...

He'll skate on the actual FEC charges, but he's going to go to jail on a USC 1001 conviction.

If any statement he made to the everfucking feds during the course of the investigation turns out to be false, for any reason, then that is considered prima facie evidence of guilt.

If he hung around here and listened to nutcases like me, he might have picked up the idea to dummy the $#@! up and NEVER talk to cops, ever.
    I stated a couple of times in this thread, how I think it will play out wrt to the indictment's charges:

I think they'll skate on the conspiracy and false records charges.

But the feds will burn Benton on the "false statements to the FBI" charge. A USC 1001 conviction is very easy to obtain.
    Looks like AF nailed it: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...t-Jesse-Benton

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Evans View Post
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...rges-dismissed

The judge dismissed all charges against Benton except for a count of lying to federal investigators, according to Politico... Both Pauls had questioned the timing of the indictment, which was handed down shortly before the first Republican presidential primary debate of the 2016 election cycle.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Do Not Talk To Cops.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-10-2015 at 12:21 AM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Was talking about this with some friends just now.

"But AF, you said not to talk to cops. These were FEC officials".

"Bah! Who gives a $#@!? Local cops, state cops, federal cops, global cops, investigators, regulators, officials...all just another name for some $#@!s with badges. Keep your mouth shut around any of them. It should not be like that, and it is not like that in a free country. But we are not that anymore."

I don't have a link handy but I read the other day that Ron himself will be called as a prosecution witness if this goes to trial

Great job Jesse.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I don't have a link handy but I read the other day that Ron himself will be called as a prosecution witness if this goes to trial
    http://www.kcci.com/news/ron-paul-ke...ffers/35694546

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Unexpected ?
    Yeah, frankly.

I would have figured they, or their lawyers, would have had the sense to tell them to dummy up when talking to the feds.

Benton is additionally charged with making false statements to the FBI
    Since it was FBI and not FEC, the investigation was already underway.

Shut the $#@! up at that point.

Say nothing!
    Yup.

Benton was sentenced to home confinement.

I only just read of this, well they deserved they got. They should of been sent to prison. Benton is Mr Paul's granddaughter's husband. LOL!

They were sentenced to probation, 6 months home confinement, and a small fine.

Here is the full story:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...mann/90742638/
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Republicanguy View Post
    I only just read of this, well they deserved they got. They should of been sent to prison. Benton is Mr Paul's granddaughter's husband. LOL!
    What the hell is wrong with you?

You want to send someone to prison for violating a federal law that is unconstitutional to begin with?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Top Ron Paul aide learns fate for 2012 campaign violations

DES MOINES -- The chairman of Ron Paul’s 2012 presidential bid was sentenced Tuesday to probation and home confinement rather than prison, and two other top aides were awaiting their sentences for a scheme to cover up campaign payments to a former Iowa state senator who agreed to endorse their boss.

Although prosecutors were seeking more than two years in federal prison, Jesse Benton was sentenced to two years’ probation and six months of home confinement, along with community service and a $10,000 fine. He was convicted of conspiracy, causing false campaign contribution reports to be filed to the Federal Election Commission and participating in a false statement scheme.

Judge James Jarvey called the crimes serious and said Benton took advantage of the system designed to ensure transparency in how campaigns are financed.

“There’s nothing like prison time to deter white collar activity,” Jarvey said, before announcing that he thought the lesser punishment was enough of a deterrent in Benton’s case.

Prior to the sentencing announcement, Benton told the judge he had endured years of sleepless nights and public humiliation. He said his career is ruined and that he was forced to place his home on the market after going into debt.

“A steep price has been paid,” he said.

Benton and his attorney declined to comment as they left the courthouse.

The campaign’s manager, John Tate, and deputy manager Dimitri Kesari also were convicted. Tate was also scheduled to be sentenced on Tuesday. Kesari’s sentencing is set for Wednesday morning.

The men have argued they broke no laws when they paid a video production company, which passed on $73,000 to former state Sen. Kent Sorenson. He dropped support for Michele Bachmann and endorsed Paul six days before the 2012 Iowa caucuses.

Prosecutors said it is illegal to cause a campaign to file inaccurate spending documents.

The men said they were targeted because of their conservative politics and argued campaigns typically don’t identify payments to subcontractors of vendors.

They are expected to appeal their convictions to the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. If the judges rule against the men, they may choose to seek further review of the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-ron-...gn-violations/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    “There’s nothing like prison time to deter white collar activity,” Jarvey said
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-ron-...gn-violations/
    Tell that to the bankers, Jarvey.

Cheaters never win.

Cheaters never win.
    Tell that to the bankers, helmuth_hubener.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast