Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul Is Faulted in Ad Over Previous Calls for Iran Talks

Rand Paul Is Faulted in Ad Over Previous Calls for Iran Talks

Rand Paul Is Faulted in Ad Over Previous Calls for Iran Talks

By Maggie Haberman
    August 5, 2015

An outside group that sought to mar Senator Rand Paul’s presidential campaign kickoff with a television advertisement linking him to President Obama’s Iran policy is going on the air with a new spot about the candidate and the recent nuclear deal.

The ad is timed to start airing right after the first sanctioned Republican presidential debate on Thursday evening. It is being aired by the 501c4 group called the Foundation for a Secure and Prosperous America, which does not have to reveal its donors.

Mr. Paul has criticized the Iran deal as “unacceptable” and has said he will vote against it. But the group’s goal appears to be seeking to highlight his previous support for Iran negotiations in general. The ad will run as part of a six-figure cable buy in New Hampshire and Iowa, according to officials with the group.

more:
    http://www.nytimes.com/politics/firs...or-iran-talks/
    Last edited by jct74; 08-05-2015 at 11:12 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    the deal is better than war, Rand needs to make a stand against war

more sabre-rattling with Iran is just going to push me further away

If they're such a "Grand Ole Party," why are they such a drag for their friends to be around?
    Last edited by ifthenwouldi; 08-05-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: grammar

Propaganda in full gear, though this might help with libertarians...

Rand Paul for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post

How can you not see that Rand is the candidate we need to support when he has all of the right enemies? The hawkish neocons in the GOP are all attacking him for not supporting war with Iran.

And some think Rand is a warmonger even though the warmongers are doing everything in their power to sink him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

This should show Rand that no matter how much he panders and lies about this deal he will never win this part of the party over. Makes him look like a pussy that he won't state what he's clearly for.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    And some think Rand is a warmonger even though the warmongers are doing everything in their power to sink him.
    And some Libertarians don't think Rand is a really a warmonger, but does not understand why he panders to a crowd of people that clearly will demonize him regardless.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^war mongering in full force right there. bet graham and mccain put those videos together.
    Last edited by 65fastback2+2; 08-05-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Propaganda in full gear, though this might help with libertarians...
    Are these all new? I hope Rand sees them before the debate. I actually think these could help him.

Is this deal better than war?

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post

If it leads to war anyway, how is it better?

I can understand how a deal that prevents war is better than war but just a deal doesn't mean anything as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    ^wasr mongering in full force right there. bet graham and mccain put those videos together.
    doubt it. more likely Tom Cotton, and his backers. maybe Rubio

but Rand should have stuck to his position, and stood out on this.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to William Tell again.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post

If I had to guess I'd say it's Sheldon Adelson financing these ads.

Just a reminder (from February)

Sheldon Adelson signals he'll bankroll effort to stop Rand Paul
    http://www.salon.com/2015/02/24/shel...top_rand_paul/

Rand later said he met with Adelson and Adelson told him it wasn't true, that there were no plans to finance attacks on him, but I think it was a lie.

As far as who's making the videos, it's the same people who made the swiftboat ads against Kerry
    Last edited by libertyplz; 08-05-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    And some Libertarians don't think Rand is a really a warmonger, but does not understand why he panders to a crowd of people that clearly will demonize him regardless.
    That's kind of odd. If libertarians aren't smart enough to see Rand is looking for support from voters, not the people who smear him. Then I can't really help them.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

The warmongers are trying to sink Trump as well. So following your logic ...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This ad might actually be really good for Rand Paul. Free publicity telling people to call Rand and try to change his mind? That sounds like a gold mine.

If nothing else, this ad and the responses out of some individuals on this forum are telling me two things:

1. That television still largely controls most peoples' minds and that media spin will still be effective at quashing any and all dissent.

2. That both the Debbie Downers whining about Rand's conciliatory approach and the pro-Trump people who are all but interchangeable with them save that they've basically already jumped ship are probably among the most obvious trustees of this phenomenon.

If I had a dollar for every person who thinks they can do a better job of running for office yet has not nor will ever run for office, I could retire to the Cayman Islands next year. Wait until after a couple debates before placing yourself on suicide watch or jumping on the Trump-train, it'll do wonders.

1) What a tangled web of inconsistency we weave.
    2) The videos in the notes section imply that Rand Paul says, "Our national security is not threatened by Iran having one nuclear weapon." This should be Rand's official stance on Iran modified just a bit to something along these lines.

"Iran is none of our business. Our national security is not threatened by Iran having nuclear weapons. Many nations have nuclear weapons now and more will have them in the future. The nuclear genie is out of the bottle and won't be going back in. So it is incumbent upon the people of the planet to learn to get along.

If the regional neighbors of Iran have issues with Iran, then these regional neighbors need to be the ones addressing the issues -- not the people of the United States. If Iran ever attacked the US or threatened to attack us by showing a legitimate imminent threat, then the US would be justified and obliged to defend itself with overwhelming lethal force. But until then, we have no issue with Iran developing its national infrastructure and national defense for the security and the well-being of its people.

So our emphasis should be that expressed by our founders who said ...

"'Tis our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world."
    -- George Washington (1732-1799), U.S. general, president. speech, Sept. 17, 1796. Farewell Address, vol. 35, The Writings of George Washington, ed. John C. Fitzpatrick (1940). --

"Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none."
    -- Thomas Jefferson noninterventionist foreign policy position, 1801 inaugural address --

"I have ever deemed it fundamental for the United States never to take active part in the quarrels of Europe. Their political interests are entirely distinct from ours. Their mutual jealousies, their balance of power, their complicated alliances, their forms and principles of government, are all foreign to us. They are nations of eternal war."
    -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), U.S. president. Letter, June 11, 1823, to President James Monroe --

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She well knows that by one enlisting under other banners than her own, were they even the banners of foreign independence, she would involve herself beyond the power of extrication in all the wars of interest and intrigue, of individual avarice, envy and ambition, which assume the colors and usurp the standards of freedom. The fundamental maxims of her policy would insensibly change from liberty to force ..."
    -- John Quincy Adams (1821) --

"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is, in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible."
    -- George Washington –

NOTES:

Negative ads targeting Rand Paul on Iran.
    Foundation for a Secure & Prosperous America
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzm...ZOzk1lUsDlqVZA

Dangerous
    https://youtu.be/HeVjM8VNSXk

Consequences
    https://youtu.be/HkRivVYeEgU

Against Sanctions - 2
    https://youtu.be/sXYKBRMi0qw

In His Own Words
    https://youtu.be/FcGqz3vmWVE

He still stands out because he's the only candidate who's not pledging to revoke the deal as President.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sadler View Post
    The warmongers are trying to sink Trump as well. So following your logic ...
    Oh really? How many ads are they running against Trump over his proposal to occupy the middle east for eternity and guard the oil fields?
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

That's kind of odd. If libertarians aren't smart enough to see Rand is looking for support from voters, not the people who smear him. Then I can't really help them.
    The voters he is trying to get will always follow the voice and views of the people who are trying to smear. Because Israel, racism, FOX News fear mongering and laziness.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Oh really? How many ads are they running against Trump over his proposal to occupy the middle east for eternity and guard the oil fields?
    First, are you denying that the GOP field is not trying to sink Trump?

Second, Trump never said what you allege in your quote.
    Last edited by David Sadler; 08-05-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    The voters he is trying to get will always follow the voice and views of the people who are trying to smear. Because Israel, racism, FOX News fear mongering and laziness.
    Explain to me why over 50% of Kentucky Republicans voted for Rand in the Senate primary?

Liberty candidates win, and they do it with mainstream support.
    Last edited by William Tell; 08-05-2015 at 11:33 AM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First, are you denying that the GOP field is not trying to sink Trump?
    Each individual candidate wants Trump to fail so they will succeed. That's not the same as shady pro war Super PAC's running attack ads against Rand's foreign policy in particular.

Second, Trump never said what you allege in your quote.
    Oh really? He clearly said we shouldn't leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6G4...outu.be&t=1344
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    How can you not see that Rand is the candidate we need to support when he has all of the right enemies? The hawkish neocons in the GOP are all attacking him for not supporting war with Iran.
    The same people attacked Obama for the last two presidential cycles, and numerous times inbetween. Should everyone have supported Obama because of that?
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 08-05-2015 at 12:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

For someone who is polling low in the polls, seems odd to attack him.... what are they afraid of?

I believe THAT is what they are afraid of.... the momentum that if Rand picks up speed, he will be unstoppable.

Rand attacked by neoconservative RINOs? Shocking!

The organization that made this video is a known front organization for McCain and Lindsey Graham:

More on Rick Reed:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post5832678
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Wow, $#@! the fact that he's against this deal, but simply because he's made some statements along the lines of he'd prefer talks or negotiations with any country rather than jumping into war means he's siding with Obama?? Honestly, it just shows how desperate these people are and to say he's got no chance or he's not polling very good at the moment, it's these kinds of attack ads that tell me something different. They know what these polling firms are doing with the polls at the moment, but also know they can't rely on these polling firms to keep up this trick the whole time. So their strategy is to try and bury Rand while the pollsters is on their side knowing damn well the pollsters will eventually correct their methodology and include the correct amount of voters in the 18 to 39 year old range which will obviously bolster Rand's numbers to where they really are. They know they can't let Rand dig into the "traditional republican" support base because if he does it won't take much to win Iowa and New Hampshire. So they're going to attack him on issues that will cause the base to turn their heads when it comes to Rand because they know once the polls are corrected he's going to be neck and neck with the supposed front runners in both Iowa and NH. The more I see their strategy being played out, the more I'm thinking Rand may just need to unleash Ron on the campaign trail. It seems they're not going to, or at least are going to do their best in preventing Rand from gaining attraction with traditional republicans. If this is the case and Rand can't seem to win over these voters, the next best option would be to fire up the base you have and turn them out the best you can and let the chips fall where they may. We already know Ron's support base alone nearly won him Iowa, and without Romney in the race and a 17 candidate field, Ron's base could very well be enough to win NH. I don't envy Rand and his support team at all because this it seems is the choice they have to decide.

$#@!, honestly I'd say Ted Cruz's people had a hand in this. I've said it for a long time, but this man is a snake in the grass trying to pretend and pander to the Ron Paul demographic. And just who the hell is funding his PAC? Anyone that generating that kind of money is promising their asses something in return. I'm of the opinion that Ted is full of envy towards Rand, and I also think he'd gladly choose loosing the presidential race so long as Rand doesn't win. He's nothing more than a used car salesman..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast