Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: DJIA, NYSE, S&P = CRASH!!!

Excellent .I am cashing the rest out middle of next month , I hope for a 18200 Dow.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProIndividual View Post
    Gold shot up and now is falling like a stone in the futures...down below $1200 after being around $1250 on Thursday. The Dow is up in the futures like 270 points. These are major weekend moves. It bothers me, but not too much. Enough to post about it...put it like that.

The part that bothers me for now is the seeming bottom we keep bouncing off of at about 15,500 or whatever on the DOW. That 15% or so decline point has some significance, even if just psychological. But with all the high frequency trading, I can't imagine psychology is outweighing some technical aspect I'm daft to. Anyone got any ideas?
    Gold is starting to look steady @ 1234 .

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does this mean the rate hike is back on for March?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Does this mean the rate hike is back on for March?
    I'd say it'll happen no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    I'd say it'll happen no matter what.
    My guess is about a 1% chance for March.

I don't think they will raise rates in March. Unemployment is where they like it and new jobless claims continue to fall but the energy sector uncertainty may have them put off the next raise. There was speculation that the Fed would probably raise rates four times this year (which would be every three months) but I have said probably two or three. Energy has stabilized so if they don't raise rates at the March meeting they still could at the next meeting in April if nothing negative pops up. They (the Open Market Committee) do not meet in May, August, and October.

I think gold hits 1250 today .

Corporate stock buybacks coming to an end.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...110000062.html

Since the beginning of the post-crisis bull-market run, the biggest buyer of equities hasn't been retail investors or institutions but companies themselves.

Companies have been supporting the stock market through buybacks for years.

But according to some analysts, the era of buybacks may be coming to a close.

And this could be terrible news for the stock market.
    Companies have been their own best friends

According to a note from analysts at HSBC, buybacks have been the source of most of the demand for stocks since 2009.

The note said that for each of the past two years, companies in the S&P 500 have bought back nearly $500 billion of their own stock and a total of $2.1 trillion since 2010.

This huge amount of buying has been a massive source of upside for the stock market, said Liz Ann Sonders, chief investment strategist at Charles Schwab.

"There's no question that by far corporate buyback have been the source of most of the buying in the stock market," Sonders told Business Insider on Wednesday. "On a cumulative basis there has not been a dollar added to the US stock market since the end of the financial crisis by retail investors and pension funds."

more at link
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dow...ear-2016-03-11''

Dow breaks above bullish chart level first time this year

The Dow Jones Industrial Average surged Friday above a key chart level for the first time this year, which many technical analysts might view as an early sign suggesting the stock market’s downtrend could be over.

The Dow DJIA, +1.28% rose 218.18 points, or 1.3%, to 17,213.31, to close above the widely watched 200-day moving average line, which currently extends to 17,153.23, according to FactSet. That marks the first close above the line since Dec. 30. See Market Snapshot.

The S&P 500 index SPX, +1.64% used a final-hour rally to join the Dow industrials by closing at 2,022.19, which was above its 200-day moving average of 2,019.92, also for the first time this year.

Many technical analysts see the 200-day moving average as a dividing line between longer-term uptrends and downtrends. For the major market indexes, many use it as a way to gauge the health of the broader market.

This was the first year the Dow didn’t spend time above its 200-day moving average on the first trading session since 2009, and only the third time -- 2008 and 2003 were the others -- in the past 25 years.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/17/inve...dow-jones-oil/

Dow turns positive for year: Erases 2,000-point plunge

The Dow turned positive for the year on Thursday, erasing a scary start to the year that at one point had the index down as much as 1,974 points in just the first three weeks of 2016.

The remarkable rebound has been driven by a spike in oil prices and fading fears of a possible recession in the U.S. Oil has returned to $40 a barrel and the U.S. economy continues to grow, despite the global slowdown.

But just a few weeks ago the markets were in full meltdown mode, with many predicting the bull market was on its death bed.

"That marked the zenith of panic. The market traded to extremely oversold conditions," said Peter Kenny, an independent market strategist. "Since the lows we've seen the market rally in stealth mode. Those who panicked got punished."

Stocks received a boost this week from the Federal Reserve, which slashed its plans to raise interest rates amid the global market turmoil. The Dow jumped 155 points on Thursday following a modest gain the day before.

Volatility, a hallmark of the first six weeks of the year, has nearly vanished. The closely-watched VIX volatility index has plunged 56% from its February peak. Likewise, CNNMoney's Fear & Greed Index, which uses various market gauges to measure trading sentiment, is now flashing "extreme greed." Just a few weeks ago it was firmly in "extreme fear" mode.

"Recession fears are in the rear view mirror," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at Wunderlich Securities. "Interest rates are low, inflation isn't a problem, the labor market is in better shape and moderate GDP growth is likely."

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rut roh! CNBC pulled Peter Schiff back out for their Fast Money broadcast today at 5:10pm ET. I haven't seen him on CNBC in a long time but we all know what his 2007/08 appearances meant!

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    Rut roh! CNBC pulled Peter Schiff back out for their Fast Money broadcast today at 5:10pm ET. I haven't seen him on CNBC in a long time but we all know what his 2007/08 appearances meant!
    http://www.cnbc.com/peter-schiff/

Looks like he's on pretty much monthly.
    Pinochet is the model
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

http://www.cnbc.com/peter-schiff/

Looks like he's on pretty much monthly.
    Looks like they have him on more than I thought (though some of those links are written, not video) but yesterday's was in studio and very reminiscent of the 07 appearances that he became famous for.

As of today , for the first time in my life , I am 100 percent cashed out of the market .Tomorrow starts my third week of retirement and my second day of my once a week part time job of 5 hours per day . I feel great

Congratulations!

Watch the yen...if yen strengthening continues, stocks heading back down in a big way. My bet is stocks heading back down.

My bet is stocks heading back down.
    When is that not your bet?
    Pinochet is the model

Kinda like me saying things are going to crash. But if I do- look out!!!!

On the other hand- http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/07/us-markets.html

Dow closes down triple digits as oil falls, yen climbs

U.S. stocks closed about 1 percent lower or more Thursday, with financials leading declines. Continued strength in the yen against the dollar renewed concerns about global growth and the effectiveness of central bank policy.

The major averages ended off session lows but the S&P 500 still closed more than 1 percent lower to erase year-to-date gains. The Dow Jones industrial average closed about 174 points lower after earlier falling 231 points, with Goldman Sachs contributing the most to declines.

The Japanese yen was near 108.4 yen against the U.S. dollar around the stock market close after earlier trading near 107.7, a fresh high against the greenback going back to October 2014.
    Where is that PPT when you need them?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-07-2016 at 08:21 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When is that not your bet?
    Compared to the dollar unit, that's always my bet. Funny that the stock market always steals wealth no matter whether it's going up or down.

Up? Dollar unit worth less. Down? Dollar units put into a stock account go bye-bye. Imaginary money always loses "value" no matter what because faith is lost in one way or another.

What say you?

And watch the yen....

Quote Originally Posted by gchq
    Where is that PPT when you need them?
    On Wall St at 3pm, apparently.

What's Deutsche Bank's stock price today compared to when I said it was being set up as next Lehman and to short it? What was the price then? Hmm....
    Last edited by devil21; 04-08-2016 at 01:50 AM.

appropriate time for a bump, no?

Compared to the dollar unit, that's always my bet. Funny that the stock market always steals wealth no matter whether it's going up or down.

Up? Dollar unit worth less. Down? Dollar units put into a stock account go bye-bye. Imaginary money always loses "value" no matter what because faith is lost in one way or another.

What say you?
    It is a zero sum game. Only the bankers are winning a rigged game. Until sound money's adopted, there can't be real prosperity.

I think the Brexit is a non event for US stocks. My guess is stocks will rebound when everyone realizes this means the Fed has another excuse not to raise rates.

In my opinion the Big Event is going to be a reversal from the Fed. Lowering rates and more QE.

I'm making so much money today.

I'm making so much money today.
    PM or gov bonds?
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Meh.... stocks are only down 500... basically at May's levels... I'll get excited when it's down 1500
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    PM or gov bonds?
    Both, plus doubling down on stocks before they rebound. Seems an overreaction.
    Pinochet is the model

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BTFD BEEEYACHES

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    BTFD BEEEYACHES
    Indeed, even though mysteriously that term is only used for PMs. Same concepts apply.
    Pinochet is the model

There always is an over-reaction. Nothing has actually changed yet. The response is over the uncertainty of the situation. Good time to be buying. The sell-off is just a temporary reaction. Dow is still almost 2000 points above its 52 week low (February). Dow opened with a big drop but didn't continue to fall during the day. With an hour to go, it is about the same as it was an hour after open.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-24-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    There always is an over-reaction. Nothing has actually changed yet. The response is over the uncertainty of the situation..
    Well duh - sell on rumor, buy on news. That's how it works.

But it closed up ahead of the vote in anticipation of a positive remain vote. This is just a small correction. 2-3% is not the end of the world. 2007 - 2008 = we lost 50%. And even then, the only thing that was required in order not to take a loss was to sit tight.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast