Thread: As debate looms, Rand Paul sees a chance to be the GOP dove

As debate looms, Rand Paul sees a chance to be the GOP dove

DAVENPORT, Iowa — The first Republican debate of the 2016 presidential election, said Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, will be between him and people who “want to blow up the world.” The Thursday night showdown will pit him against opponents who will “send half a million of your sons and daughters back” to Iraq. He vowed that he will ask his Republican presidential rivals, face to face, whether they “want to always intervene in every civil war around the world.”

“I want to be known as the candidate who’s not eager for war, who thinks war’s the last resort,” Paul said on a weekend swing through Iowa. “When we fight, we fight to win, but much of our involvement has led to consequences that made us less safe. You’ll see that come into sharp distinction.”

----
    Rand Paul’s Iowa message to the critics: Hey, lay off and wait for Thursday. “I’m one of the few Republicans who has a litany of people whose job is to be full-time critics of mine,” Paul said. “Nobody else seems to have as much sniping going on. But I think the debates will put things in sharp relief.”
    Read much more at the source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...7ae_story.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would be very pleased indeed if something finally came to a sharp distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    I would be very pleased indeed if something finally came to a sharp distinction.
    I hope so too! Someone has to speak out against all this madness we are creating around the world.

he needs to be very vocal and forceful about this...its one of Americans top issues that he isnt a run of the mill hawk on. People are tired of endless wars. This is one of his top 3 big differentiators imo.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    I could never understand what he had said about arming the Kurds though.

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    he needs to be very vocal and forceful about this...its one of Americans top issues that he isnt a run of the mill hawk on. People are tired of endless wars. This is one of his top 3 big differentiators imo.
    I agree, but the way he delivers this message needs to be way different than Ron. Going on about being tired of endless wars won't win over the base. But criticizing rash decisions and reckless spending might. Especially when comparisons can be made between Obama's stupid decisions and the GOP hawks' stupid decisions.
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law. -Douglas Hofstadter

Life, Liberty, Logic

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    I could never understand what he had said about arming the Kurds though.
    He's primarily trying to provide an alternative to direct US military intervention; he's always referencing "Arab boots on the ground." The Kurdish business serves the same purpose. It's impossible to be a GOP candidate and not be gung-ho for killing ISIS - just the way it is. Rand's trying to be as minimally interventionist as possible in this climate: lemons ---> lemonade.

But he should say he wants to still have the best trained military in the world incase we need em.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    But he should say he wants to still have the best trained and equipped military in the world incase we need em while cutting the military budget in half his first year
    that may be too much to ask, huh?
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

1) force the Koreans, Germans and Japanese to either pay the cost of their USA bases or close them. cost would include the pensions and health care costs of the soldiers stationed there.
    2) the Kurds and Ukrainians have no voter support-the hell with them
    3) Turkey, Egypt, Pakistan and especially Saudi Arabia do not deserve any aid.

while a 50% cut is not realistic in 1 or 2 years, 15-25% is.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    He's primarily trying to provide an alternative to direct US military intervention; he's always referencing "Arab boots on the ground." The Kurdish business serves the same purpose. It's impossible to be a GOP candidate and not be gung-ho for killing ISIS - just the way it is. Rand's trying to be as minimally interventionist as possible in this climate: lemons ---> lemonade.
    I'm ok with it - I get it . . .
    but it is explaining he needs to do for alot of the people he's lost (hopefully temporarily) from RonPaul grassroots I suppose.

The reason I'd bring it up is this question in the future White House briefing room . . . (BUT, Turk bombing of Kurds IS happening now !)

ok, President Rand Paul -
    what about RIGHT now . . . Turkey, a NATO country is bombing Kurds - does a President Paul have to choose what to do (?)
    inevitably he has to then pick a side,

. . . well he COULD send Secretary of State Ron Paul to Istanbul to defuse the situation.

It all gets terribly messy, n'est-ce pas?

Rand is gonna have to be super-smart about this on Thursday night !

This is where Rand needs to make a stand, he needs take the anti-war mantle even if it isn't popular now. We can't compromise and go against our principles, I'd rather lose because one day history will show us right probably sooner than later too.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    This is where Rand needs to make a stand, he needs take the anti-war mantle even if it isn't popular now. We can't compromise and go against our principles, I'd rather lose because one day history will show us right probably sooner than later too.
    If Rand was stronger on immigration, his anti war rhetoric would be better received. Pat was a master at balancing these two issues. America First as opposed to the perception that you are colluding with our enemies. That's how you sell noninterventionism to American voters if you know what you are doing.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-03-2015 at 12:47 PM.

He vowed that he will ask his Republican presidential rivals, face to face, whether they “want to always intervene in every civil war around the world.”
    Why is he telling his rivals what (part of) his debate strategy is going to be?

Now they'll have chance to prepare canned responses designed to make themselves look better than him.

(Is this supposed to be one of those "chess, not checkers" things?)
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Great news and a smart strategy (especially if Rand succeeds in presenting himself as an "owl" rather than "dove"... e.g. "if war is required, then congress must declare it and we will fight to win, not nation-build..."), but why tip off all the other candidates in advance?

He just needs a platform of not giving weapons to Al-Qaeda.

Thats a huge $#@!ing differentiator.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    If Rand was stronger on immigration, his anti war rhetoric would be better received. Pat was a master at balancing these two issues. America First as opposed to the perception that you are colluding with our enemies. That's how you sell noninterventionism to American voters if you know what you are doing.
    I like this perspective - it seems to make sense counter-intuitively or something.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    Rand is stronger on immigration than Ron is. Ron even opposed the border fence and made a comment during a GOP debate that a fence could be used to "keep us in." It's hard to believe that Rand's position on immigration is your biggest problem with him when Ron's position on immigration is weaker than Rand's. There was even some anti illegal immigration group that gave Ron an F rating when he ran for President in 2012.