Thread: 2016 Marijuana Legalization Initiatives: An Overview

2016 Marijuana Legalization Initiatives: An Overview

2016 Marijuana Legalization Initiatives: An Overview

by psmith
    July 29, 2015, 11:25pm

Marijuana is going to be part of the political conversation between now and Election Day 2016. Support for legalization is now consistently polling above 50% nationwide, four states and DC have already voted to legalize it, and activists at least ten states are doing their best to make it an issue this time around.

In those states, they're working to take marijuana legalization directly to the voters in the form of initiatives. Not all of those efforts will actually make the ballot -- mass signature-gathering campaigns require not only enthusiasm but cold, hard cash to succeed -- and not all of those that qualify will necessarily win, but in a handful of states, including the nation's most populous, the prospects for passing legalization next year look quite good.

By the time the polls close on Election Day 2016, we could see the number of legalization states double and the number of Americans living free of pot prohibition quadruple to more than 60 million -- or more. Attitudes on marijuana are shifting fast, and by this time next year, the prospects of even more states actually approving legalization could be even higher.

But right now, we have five states where the prospects of getting on the ballot and winning look good, three states where it looks iffy but could surprise, and two states where it looks like a long-shot next year.

read more:
    http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...ative_overview

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    here's an update on the Ohio initiative

ResponsibleOhio submits more than 95,000 additional signatures toward November marijuana issue

By Jackie Borchardt
    on July 30, 2015 at 5:37 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Pro-pot group ResponsibleOhio said it submitted more than 95,000 signatures of Ohio voters Thursday afternoon in an attempt to qualify its marijuana legalization issue for the November ballot.

ResponsibleOhio was more than 29,000 signatures short of the 305,591 signatures of registered Ohio voters required to make the ballot, but had a 10-day "cure period" to make up the difference. Many signatures were rejected because signers were not registered to vote, gave information that did not match voter records, or signed multiple times.

If the previous validation rate holds, the group needed to turn in more than 70,000 signatures. ResponsibleOhio reported submitting 95,572 supplemental signatures and 27,585 voter registrations.

"The enthusiastic and overwhelming response we've received from hundreds of thousands of voters across the state has shown us one thing -- it's time for marijuana legalization in Ohio," ResponsibleOhio Executive Director Ian James said in a news release. "Despite some politicians' games, we look forward to presenting to voters our comprehensive plan to tax, regulate and make marijuana safe in our state. We're confident that in November, voters will repeal failed marijuana prohibition in our state once and for all."

read more:
    http://www.cleveland.com/open/index....ts_more_t.html

edit: actually this initiative is up for vote in 2015, not 2016
    Last edited by jct74; 08-13-2015 at 08:58 AM.

The article doesn't even mention the ballot initiative in OK.
    I have an autographed copy of Revolution: A Manifesto for sale. Mint condition, inquire within. (I don't sign in often, so please allow plenty of time for a response)

I heard that it is facing an uphill battle in Arizona, hopefully being a general election the reactionary segment of the vote will get drowned out

What is this marijuana legalization "movement" about at this point ? MJ users are no longer about any ideas like they used to be in the sixties. It is more about disconnecting from reality and dumbing down. Sativa is not very popular. Indica/hybrid is what the majority (90%?) is using in order to get comfortably numb. The height of mental activity in this state is playing video games. https://youtu.be/y7EpSirtf_E

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    What is this marijuana legalization "movement" about at this point ?
    I think the point is that I have no $#@!ing clue whatever the hell you are talking about and there is zero public interest or moral justification for me to nitpick these decision is your life.

What is this marijuana legalization "movement" about at this point ? MJ users are no longer about any ideas like they used to be in the sixties. It is more about disconnecting from reality and dumbing down. Sativa is not very popular. Indica/hybrid is what the majority (90%?) is using in order to get comfortably numb. The height of mental activity in this state is playing video games. https://youtu.be/y7EpSirtf_E
    The tech field is full of cannabis users and they are changing the way our lives work, in many ways for the better.

I have a friend who is a software engineer who prefers indica, I personally have a preference for sativa during the day and indica in the evening.

I find it all to be intellectually stimulating. Alcohol tends to have more of the effect you are talking about.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I have a friend who is a software engineer who prefers indica,
    Is he a neckbeard ?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Exsqueeze me!
    ??

Marijuana is not a depressant. it does not cause numb.

and Pink Floyds song had nothing to do with Marijuana.

The "comfortably numb" was a dead conscience.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

What is the general outlook in Ohio? This is the first I've heard of it.

Are people optimistic that it will pass?

Is he a neckbeard ?
    What a stupid comment.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    What a stupid comment.
    What a stupid reason to take umbrage.

What a stupid reason to take umbrage.
    I take no umbrage.. But your statements are so full of ignorance it is really hard to respond to..
    Ignorance CAN be corrected with education.

I will take your "video Game" for an example. The "height of mental activity"?

I don't know what games you have seen or played,, but video games promote mental activity.. Though Pot smokers are likely to do something more creative.

Seems that you also misunderstand the innumerable benefits of marijuana,, some of which are finally being seriously researched and documented.

As to the "high" It is euphoric without being debilitating.. and is the best I have ever found for defeating depression.

all propaganda aside,,, I honestly believe the plant to be a gift from God,, with untold benefits.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom