Thread: We bought silver, where do we store it?

We bought silver, where do we store it?

BuddyRey was big on silver. So, his sister and I purchased some american silver eagle coins... Not much, but some. Now we are worried sick if someone would break into the house and steal them.

What is a good hiding place for silver? If it is outside, like under our deck; will it change color from the weather? I keep thinking outside of the house would be the best place to go...
    Last edited by Dianne; 07-31-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: typo

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Stick it in a Kotex box, nobody will grab that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Wish I could help but just be careful if you go boating with it
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Stick it in a Kotex box, nobody will grab that.
    That's a good thought !! bottom of a trash bag with a used kotex on top .. Robbers would never go there.

the return air, or Blower section of your furnace or A/C unit typically has plenty of space that will not interrupt airflow. (behind the air filter)

OR

your friends gun safe. then what you can do is to issue notes to other people who can redeem them for silver by visiting your friend.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

I could keep it at my house for you. Or a safety deposit box at the bank. But be sure to let some trustworthy member of your family or close friend know where it is in case something happens to you.

Send it to me, I have the perfect place.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Outside is ok if you have already, toned/tarnished 90% junk silver , but for .999 Silver Eagles, they have no value except silver, but you want to keep them nice and pretty because they are only desirable to people that way , especially if the price is not very high.People are not bright .I would not put it in a safe deposit box .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    That's a good thought !! bottom of a trash bag with a used kotex on top .. Robbers would never go there.
    Just be careful not to throw it out in the trash! You can also get cans which look like real food cans for storing things in. Samples: http://www.bewild.com/dicansa.html (lots of cool places to hide stuff at the link).
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-31-2015 at 11:55 PM.

Wherever it will be safe and very hard for strangers to find.

Fake drawer bottoms

empty pain can in the garage

The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

These are some great ideas, thanks !! I did read a safe deposit box is the worst possible place to store anything of value. First, if there is a banking shut down you can't access your box and second, safe deposit boxes are subject to search and seizure.

Yes it will change color and also rust (oxidize). Depending on weather you can lose significant value that way. If you want to hide it somewhere outside you need to put it into container and fill it with oil so that it doesnt oxidizes...
    Last edited by Barrex; 08-01-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

If you can buy and store a heavy safe (one that you could build into a wall or bolt into the slab of your house), go for that. Obviously you can keep your guns and other valuables in there as well.

Otherwise, hide it in a place in your home that you'll remember and where you think it'd be really hard to find for anyone else. I know that's not the most eloquent advice…

I don't recommend keeping it at any type of financial institution, for the reasons already stated. One being that access is NEVER 100% guaranteed.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Don't forget where you put it and throw it out!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

These are some great ideas, thanks !! I did read a safe deposit box is the worst possible place to store anything of value. First, if there is a banking shut down you can't access your box and second, safe deposit boxes are subject to search and seizure.
    If the bank shuts down, yes, you won't be able to access it. But search and seizure requires a court order.

Dianne, it depends on how much silver you are looking to store, but...

I like using .50 caliber ammo cans. They're nearly indestructible, they're airtight, and they're JUST the right size to tuck away in a corner of an attic or basement. Here's a picture of one on Amazon.com in case you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Steel-.../dp/B000J4HXUC

But DON'T BUY FROM AMAZON until you have check your local Army surplus store. Surplus stores usually sell the real thing for ten bucks, cash and carry. No waiting and no shipping and no paper trail. Hell, I've even seen them cheaper at farm stores like Rural King.

If you're storing stuff long term, you might want to invest in a few packs of dessicant:

http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Des.../dp/B003DKQB02

If you've got pounds of the stuff to hide, or something really expensive like gold, you might even consider burying it if you live in an area where you can do so without being seen. Fill one of those ammo cans and then seal the ammo can inside of several layers of garbage bags or painter's plastic and bury it somewhere marked in a way SO YOU WON'T FORGET WHERE YOU BURIED IT like, "six feet due north of the pine tree, underneath that hideous bird fountain my mother-in-law gave me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If the bank shuts down, yes, you won't be able to access it. But search and seizure requires a court order.
    Anyone know if Credit Unions are subject to the same governmental rules for things like "bank holidays" and such? Credit unions are entities distinctly different than banks; most are locally owned and operated and answer directly to the people who have money in them. It's a lot more like a cooperative than a traditional bank.

I use a credit union myself. Personally, I find they are MUCH better than any bank I've dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Dianne, it depends on how much silver you are looking to store, but...

I like using .50 caliber ammo cans. They're nearly indestructible, they're airtight, and they're JUST the right size to tuck away in a corner of an attic or basement. Here's a picture of one on Amazon.com in case you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Steel-.../dp/B000J4HXUC

But DON'T BUY FROM AMAZON until you have check your local Army surplus store. Surplus stores usually sell the real thing for ten bucks, cash and carry. No waiting and no shipping and no paper trail. Hell, I've even seen them cheaper at farm stores like Rural King.

If you're storing stuff long term, you might want to invest in a few packs of dessicant:

http://www.amazon.com/Silica-Gel-Des.../dp/B003DKQB02

If you've got pounds of the stuff to hide, or something really expensive like gold, you might even consider burying it if you live in an area where you can do so without being seen. Fill one of those ammo cans and then seal the ammo can inside of several layers of garbage bags or painter's plastic and bury it somewhere marked in a way SO YOU WON'T FORGET WHERE YOU BURIED IT like, "six feet due north of the pine tree, underneath that hideous bird fountain my mother-in-law gave me...."
    That's a great idea too !! I was thinking about the attic but worried it is too hot up there and may change the color of my coins. I'm going to research that a bit today, unless someone on this forum knows the answer. We only bought three rolls (60 coins), so we're not talking about anything that takes up much space. But enough that I don't want stolen.

Great suggestion. I had thought about renting a temp controlled storage unit and piling a bunch of household junk in it, and storing the coins there with my own padlock.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Anyone know if Credit Unions are subject to the same governmental rules for things like "bank holidays" and such? Credit unions are entities distinctly different than banks; most are locally owned and operated and answer directly to the people who have money in them. It's a lot more like a cooperative than a traditional bank.

I use a credit union myself. Personally, I find they are MUCH better than any bank I've dealt with.
    Our accounts are in the state employees credit union. I would be interested in the answer to this question also.

I'll have to agree that I'm curious as well how credit unions apply. Obviously they operate differently and thus, I would want to believe they are subject to more local control/regulations.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Silver reacts with sulphur, and in the case of air exposure that comes mostly in the form of hydrogen sulfide.

Some people vacuum seal their silver. Another thing you might try is buying some pvc pipe just large enough in diameter to fit the eagles, and put a pipe cap on each end. Maybe glue on or a combination of glue on one end and threaded on the other? I suppose, if you wanted to get fancy, you could put some sort of bulkhead fitting on a cap so that you could hook a vacuum pump to it and pump 'er out.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Silver reacts with sulphur, and in the case of air exposure that comes mostly in the form of hydrogen sulfide.

Some people vacuum seal their silver. Another thing you might try is buying some pvc pipe just large enough in diameter to fit the eagles, and put a pipe cap on each end. Maybe glue on or a combination of glue on one end and threaded on the other? I suppose, if you wanted to get fancy, you could put some sort of bulkhead fitting on a cap so that you could hook a vacuum pump to it and pump 'er out.
    These coins are in tubes already, sealed with tape across the top. I haven't opened the tubes. So I'm wondering how they would deal with excessive temperatures... extreme heat in summer, extreme cold in winter. Any idea?

Based on personal experience, I would not hide anything of value in a food can, especially if the house is going to be vacant for more than a few hours. It is surprising how often food is taken by people who break in for a place to spend the night, especially canned food as it doesn't require cooking skills. The worse the economy, the more likely that is to happen.

The longer the house is vacant, the longer thieves have to go through it in search of valuables, and while some might be fooled by some hiding places, a thief worth his salt who has the time will stop and think about where would be a good place to hide valuables. Assume all drawers will be pulled out and dumped on the floor, dressers and book cases emptied and tipped over, books thumbed through, etc. If the thief has time, that's how they will spend it, especially if they find something early on or have reason to believe something is in the house. If they are staying for a while, they will be bored and searching is a good way to fill the time.

My brother-in-law's mother used to keep a few bills of currency between pages of books in her book case. One time her house was broken into and yep, the thief went through the books and swiped it in addition to other valuables.

Ask William Jefferson if storing money in the freezer was a good idea. lol (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/...ferson.search/)
    Last edited by Tod; 08-02-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Nobody searches under the toilet brush.......

These coins are in tubes already, sealed with tape across the top. I haven't opened the tubes. So I'm wondering how they would deal with excessive temperatures... extreme heat in summer, extreme cold in winter. Any idea?
    If they are air-sealed, extremes of weather temperature shouldn't be much of an issue so long as the packaging is not affected (plastics that crack in the cold, etc).

The tubes they come in seem to do pretty well . At one time I had a tube of them in the unused upstairs of an old farm house for several yr.'s and I did not heat or cool the upstairs, they looked fine when I sold them .