Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is someone who inherits money and goes bankrupt more impressive than being a surgeon?

How is someone who inherits money and goes bankrupt more impressive than being a surgeon?

WTF?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Media conditioning, and name ID,

Becuz Murica, illegals, muh jerbs, and Murica

Maybe no one knows he's a surgeon? It's not like he makes a big deal of emphasizing that point in interviews. Hopefully Rand mentions it in his opening statement at the debates. One of my main criticisms of his campaign is he doesn't sell himself enough, just like his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomProsperityPeace View Post
    Maybe no one knows he's a surgeon? It's not like he makes a big deal of emphasizing that point in interviews. Hopefully Rand mentions it in his opening statement at the debates. One of my main criticisms of his campaign is he doesn't sell himself enough, just like his dad.
    I assume the campaign will be taking advantage of the fact that he is going to Haiti soon for a medical mission. Also, there was lots of filming from his last trip to Guatemala. Not sure if we will see any of that film as part of the campaign or if it was all used for his Presidential campaign announcement (I think they showed footage from the Guatemala trip there, though memory is a bit fuzzy).

In just a few weeks, Paul—along with most of the rest of the GOP field—will appear at their first debate in Cleveland. Shortly thereafter, Paul—along with a massive contingent of doctors and media—will travel to Haiti to perform pro bono surgeries on people with eye conditions like cataracts. Paul, in addition to being a U.S. Senator now, has for the last several decades been an ophthalmologist in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and this will mark his second trip to an impoverished nation to perform pro bono surgeries as a doctor since his election to the U.S. Senate. Last August, Paul traveled to Salama, Guatemala, to perform such surgeries on hundreds of patients there.

Want the sarcastic answer or the logical answer?

Kinda like how congresscritters are considered more impressive than people who actually contribute to the world (albeit somewhat humbly) like my brother AF by the unwashed masses of voters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by libertyplz View Post
    I assume the campaign will be taking advantage of the fact that he is going to Haiti soon for a medical mission. Also, there was lots of filming from his last trip to Guatemala. Not sure if we will see any of that film as part of the campaign or if it was all used for his Presidential campaign announcement (I think they showed footage from the Guatemala trip there, though memory is a bit fuzzy).
    That's good, but it's not like one of his aides is going to be behind him with a tablet, playing that video. Rand has to bring it up himself at the appropriate times.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Both Trump and Rand are extremely talented.

I doubt you heard someone say that Trump is more talented that Rand.

Many people assume that if you say something good about Trump, you're automatically saying that Rand is bad in some regard. That's an overreaction, which is often wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    Many people assume that if you say something good about Trump, you're also saying that Rand is bad in some regard. That's an overreaction, which is often wrong.
    It might be because the people constantly pumping Trump are also constantly criticizing Rand...

*ahem, cough, clears throat*

He'll unravel soon. The 24/7 news coverage isn't sustainable. Even now he has some of the lowest favorability ratings.

He's good at handling amateur media "gotcha" questions and pretending that he can't be bought. But he gives horrible answers when pressed slightly on policy questions. For example, when asked about his support for single-payer, he says we need to take care of those who can't afford it. How will it be funded? By working out very VERY smart deals with hospitals.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    He's good at handling amateur media "gotcha" questions and pretending that he can't be bought. But he gives horrible answers when pressed slightly on policy questions. For example, when asked about his support for single-payer, he says we need to take care of those who can't afford it. How will it be funded? By working out very VERY smart deals with hospitals.
    I think that's a good answer for the average voter.

One of two things I think is true:

1. I'm underestimating the average voter.

or

2. You're overestimating the average voter.

Trump is a master of manipulating the media. but Trump, Rand and Jeb are on stage because they inherited money as in the case of Trump, and a political base in the case of Rand and Jeb. also, being a reality TV star, owning hotels or even being a doctor has nothing to do with being president. if you are just counting experience then Kasich has the most, the best life story-Ben Carson or Lindsey Graham.

but that is not how presidents are supposed to be picked

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    He'll unravel soon. The 24/7 news coverage isn't sustainable. Even now he has some of the lowest favorability ratings.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He can BUY surgeons by the bushel.

I'm impressed.

How do you explain his financial success ???

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    4 bankruptcies gaming the system.

“Basically I’ve used the laws of the country to my advantage" - Donald Trump

Inheritance helps. He's a rent-seeker too (he openly admits this).
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

By this logic, Ben Carson -- who "inherited" a more difficult path to becoming a surgeon -- is more impressive than Rand.
    "A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." - Thomas Jefferson's First Inaugural Address, 1801

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback2+2 View Post
    4 bankruptcies gaming the system.

“Basically I’ve used the laws of the country to my advantage" - Donald Trump
    The corrupt systems are there to be used and abused.

"The system is corrupt, beyond redemption, and is not worthy of my support!"

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

He learned to use his brand as a profit tool and divested from risky property. Overall, Trump turned 300 million he inherited from his father into 4 billion in assets.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-31-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH2O View Post
    By this logic, Ben Carson -- who "inherited" a more difficult path to becoming a surgeon -- is more impressive than Rand.

So finally the issues matter most and Trump is a fake on the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AuH2O View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post

He learned to use his brand as a profit tool and divested from risky property. Overall, Trump turned 300 million he inherited from his father into 4 billion in assets.
    Putting 100 million into an index fund for 30yrs @ 8% will yield over 1 billion, pretty sure if anyone put 300 million in such a fund they would have way more than 4 billion.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He inherited his father's company 40 years ago. Despite his claims, his worth is rated at 4B. Which comes to 12.74% per year. Not impressive, especially given the governmental assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post
    Gold Hydrogen 20 Vs. Gold ([Hydrogen 2 Oxygen] = Water) <shrug!>

4 billion in assets and 3 billion in liabilities lol

Quote Originally Posted by pao View Post
    Putting 100 million into an index fund for 30yrs @ 8% will yield over 1 billion, pretty sure if anyone put 300 million in such a fund they would have way more than 4 billion.
    No, 300 million at the same CAGR will yield exactly 3 times 100 million. 3.019 billion.

Look, you don't have to like Trump at all to realize he's intelligent. As Hoppe says: "The rich are characteristically bright and industrious, and the poor typically dull, lazy, or both." I do not think that I probably agree with Donald Trump on many political issues. I do not think my political philosophy has anything to do with his, if he even has one. But rich people are generally smart.

Enough rich-bashing. Enough envy. The rich are rich for a reason: they got stuff done. And, at least in America, the stuff they got done was generally not evil, it was almost always productive and beneficial. I guess I'm not really talking to you guys on RPF here, I don't think there's much of that attitude here. But out there in the world, it's everywhere. The assumption is, "Oh, anybody's who's rich is only where they are because they were lucky. And also they're oppressors and greedy and wicked." Basically, if you're rich, you're assumed to be bad, and you're hated. It's stupid and it's annoying.

Trump-bashing, on the other hand: have at! He's ripped off a whole lot of his creditors over the years, is my understanding. That's certainly less than admirable. Focus on the bankrupcy (ies?), not the inheritance. Nothing wrong with inheritance. Inheritance is part of the strength of the institution of the family. Stronger families and weaker states are exactly what we need!

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    No, 300 million at the same CAGR will yield exactly 3 times 100 million. 3.019 billion.

Look, you don't have to like Trump at all to realize he's intelligent. As Hoppe says: "The rich are characteristically bright and industrious, and the poor typically dull, lazy, or both." I do not think that I probably agree with Donald Trump on many political issues. I do not think my political philosophy has anything to do with his, if he even has one. But rich people are generally smart.

Enough rich-bashing. Enough envy. The rich are rich for a reason: they got stuff done. And, at least in America, the stuff they got done was generally not evil, it was almost always productive and beneficial. I guess I'm not really talking to you guys on RPF here, I don't think there's much of that attitude here. But out there in the world, it's everywhere. The assumption is, "Oh, anybody's who's rich is only where they are because they were lucky. And also they're oppressors and greedy and wicked." Basically, if you're rich, you're assumed to be bad, and you're hated. It's stupid and it's annoying.

Trump-bashing, on the other hand: have at! He's ripped off a whole lot of his creditors over the years, is my understanding. That's certainly less than admirable. Focus on the bankrupcy (ies?), not the inheritance. Nothing wrong with inheritance. Inheritance is part of the strength of the institution of the family. Stronger families and weaker states are exactly what we need!

No, 3 times 100 million is not 3 billion. I should've phrased it better. Read it in context of the post to which I was replying.

I do not understand this reply. But I do like the Willy Wonka character in that movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast