Thread: Senate Drug Warrior Supports Medical Marijuana Bill

Senate Drug Warrior Supports Medical Marijuana Bill

BY TOM ANGELL ON JULY 28, 2015 LAW & POLITICS, PEOPLE, UNCATEGORIZED
    One of Congress’s most ardent supporters of the so-called “war on drugs” surprised many medical cannabis supporters by adding his name to a comprehensive reform bill on Monday.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), who has long championed harsh drug penalties and opposed efforts to reform marijuana laws, signed on as a co-sponsor of the Compassionate Access, Research Expansion and Respect States Act of 2015.

The legislation, known as the CARERS Act, would reschedule marijuana, allow banks to provide financial services to state-legal cannabis businesses, lift restrictions on marijuana research, permit the interstate importation of CBD-rich cannabis preparations and grant V.A. doctors the ability to recommend medical marijuana to military veterans, among other changes.

The bill now 15 has senators on board, including two Republicans.

Schumer’s support for medical marijuana comes in contrast to decades of work on Capitol Hill to ramp up drug penalties and oppose reforms.

“The fact that tough-on-crime Democrat such as Senator Schumer has become a cosponsor of the CARERS Act shows how truly mainstream the issue of medical marijuana is today,” Mike Liszewski, director of government affairs for Americans for Safe Access, told Marijuana.com. He added that support from Schumer, who is the third-highest ranking Democrat in the Senate and is widely expected to take over as minority leader when Harry Reid retires at the end of the current Congressional session, “shows that the CARERS Act is viable and on the minds of leadership.”

While this is the first time Schumer has cosponsored legislation to reform marijuana laws, he has given indications over the past year that his position is evolving.

In an interview with MSNBC last January, he said it is a “good idea” to let states move ahead with implementing legalization without federal interference. “We now have the states as laboratories, different states at different levels. Colorado and Washington sort of opened the door,” he said. “I’d be a little cautious here at the federal level and see the laboratories of the states, see their outcomes before we make a decision.”

In September, he joined fellow New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, also a Democrat, in urging the federal government to grant their state a waiver to import CBD-rich cannabis preparations to treat children suffering from severe seizure disorders. New York has a medical marijuana law, but its implementation has been slow.

“We urge the Department of Justice, using adequate safeguards to keep it out of the black market, to provide this waiver so that some of the most vulnerable New Yorkers can have a measure of relief from their suffering,” Schumer said at the time.

continued...http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2...arijuana-bill/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I’d be a little cautious here at the federal level and see the laboratories of the states, see their outcomes before we make a decision.”
    Strange ... I thought that was what the Constitution was supposed to be for ...
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Strange ... I thought that was what the Constitution was supposed to be for ...
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Tinnuhana View Post
    They must be getting high over there, they posted a pro legalization op ed and had to retract it.
    "The Patriarch"

so, am I correct in my view that apparently the Blob is the only presidential candidate that is threatening to wipe marijuana off the face of the [US]?
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Medical Maryjane........money to be maid...as in laid...
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FFS, just treat it like any other crop and be done with it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    makes too much sense...
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    There's too much money to be made and too much control to be had for that to happen.