Thread: DARE publishes op-ed calling for marijuana legalization

DARE publishes op-ed calling for marijuana legalization

Purchasing marijuana puts kids at risk

Posted on July 27, 2015 by D.A.R.E. in Drug Legalization and Student Drug Use, Hometown, Ohio, Spotlight

A letter to the editor by CARLIS McDERMENT.
    From The Columbus Dispatch.

As a former deputy sheriff, I know from enforcing senseless marijuana laws that children only are being put in more danger when marijuana is kept illegal (“ Legal pot poses another threat to children,” July 8 letter from Dr. Johanna Said). The term “controlled substance” is very misleading.

The goal of prohibiting marijuana was to eradicate its use, but in reality, the drug has become infinitely harder for law enforcement to control. People like me, and other advocates of marijuana legalization, are not totally blind to the harms that drugs pose to children.

We just happen to know that legalizing and regulating marijuana will actually make everyone safer. Merely decriminalizing it will do nothing to undercut the dangerous illicit market that is currently selling to kids everywhere.

more at link...http://www.dare.org/purchasing-marij...-kids-at-risk/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Looks like they took the page down.

DARE already introduced and showed the kids how to use it.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Pffft, should have known.
    "The Patriarch"

Marijuana is not for me, at all. My daughter had me try it for stress relief a few weeks ago; and I almost to the point of asking her to call an ambulance. I become totally paranoid, afraid of being out of control ... whatever symptom I need to self-destruct comes out with MJ.

I'll leave it to you guys, as I applaud your right to use if .. But for me, no thanks !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Marijuana is not for me, at all. My daughter had me try it for stress relief a few weeks ago; and I almost to the point of asking her to call an ambulance. I become totally paranoid, afraid of being out of control ... whatever symptom I need to self-destruct comes out with MJ.

I'll leave it to you guys, as I applaud your right to use if .. But for me, no thanks !!
    Was it indica or sativa?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post

I don't like it, never did.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I remember in fifth grade we had an officer come to our class for the DARE program. Within six years, everyone in that class was either drinking, smoking or popping something.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

I didn't even know that any intoxicant besides alcohol existed until the drug warriors introduced me to them. I'm guessing my experience was not atypical for middle-class suburban kids.

That's funny.

I seem to recall a certain DARE pig coming by my house frequently after I argued that marijuana did not destroy brain cells. His counterpoint was that marijuana caused certain death by way of cancer (as he had no idea what studies he was parroting).

Even showed me an authentic black lung. Pumped air in it and everything. Ah, good times-- learning and what-nots.

Guy drove by my house all the time after that and had the nerve to act like he was going to ticket my mother, as I was maybe 11 or 12 at the time, for urinating behind my own shrubs.

Last I saw, he was driving around in a Corvette with the decal of, "Taken From a Drug Dealer."
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Well, I couldn't find the exact Corvette (it was some purple, flamboyant thing) so I suppose an Escalade will have to suffice.

The Cadillac will be assigned to the department School Resource/D.A.R.E. Officer, Brian Zywicki and also used for special events.
    I am curious, are they ready to return the loot?
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    I remember in fifth grade we had an officer come to our class for the DARE program. Within six years, everyone in that class was either drinking, smoking or popping something.
    That was my experience with the D.A.R.E. program too. (late 80s, early 90's era. Not at all far removed from Ronnie and Nancy Ray-guns' drug war mongering)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Cached page - http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-kids-at-risk/
    Last edited by timosman; 07-31-2015 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Well, I couldn't find the exact Corvette (it was some purple, flamboyant thing) so I suppose an Escalade will have to suffice.

I kind of doubt it.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post

http://i.imgur.com/blE1AbE.jpg?1

The Cadillac will be assigned to the department School Resource/D.A.R.E. Officer, Brian Zywicki and also used for special events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I kind of doubt it.
    Gangstas gotta be representin', yo ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 07-31-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    related story from a few months ago:

D.A.R.E. gets duped by anti-pot satire

By Christopher Ingraham
    May 4, 2015

"Marijuana candies, sold on the street as ‘Uncle Tweety’s Chewy Flipper’ and ‘Gummy Satans’ are taking the country by storm." That's the breathless opening sentence of a news story posted on the Web site of D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), the infamous anti-drug organization that sends police into schools to teach kids about the dangers of drug use.

After I called to inquire about it, D.A.R.E. removed the story immediately without commenting. But it's been preserved at the Internet Archive, and I've screenshotted it in full below. "It is sad that in a country as developed as America, such third world drugs such as marijuana are allowed to exist," the story's anonymous author wrote. "Children are being addicted to marijuana. I knew this day would come, when a liberal president allowed a state to legally sell Marijuana Flintstone Vitamins to children."

"Marijuana. It is one of the most dangerous drugs on Earth," the author concludes ominously. "For every one joint of marijuana, four teenagers become burdened with pregnancy."

Shocking, no? The people at D.A.R.E. certainly thought so, enough that they reposted the entire story, titled "Edible Marijuana Candies Kill 9 in Colorado, 12 at Coachella" from topekasnews.com. The only problem is that topekasnews.com is a satire Web site, one of dozens posting fake-but-just-barely-believable stories online. The marijuana story is fake, as are the numbers it cites.

read more:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ti-pot-satire/