Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump lowers expectations "I’m not a debater"

Trump lowers expectations "I’m not a debater"

Hmmmm... What should we make of this? Will he back out?

July 30, 2015, 01:38 pm
    Trump lowers expectations for debate
    By Mark Hensch

GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump said on Thursday he has “no idea” how he will perform in next week’s Republican 2016 debate.

Trump argued that he is a man of action rather than words during a news conference in Turnberry, Scotland, that afternoon.

“As far as preparing for the debates, I am who I am,” he told ABC News.

“I’ve never debated before, I’m not a debater,” Trump said. “I get things done. I don’t talk about it, I get it done.”

“Politicians talk about it,” he added. “They debate all over the place and nothing happens. I’m sort of the opposite.”

Trump then refused to guess on how he will fare during next week’s televised contest with nine other White House hopefuls.

“I have no idea how I’ll do,” he said of the Aug. 6 debate on Fox News. “Maybe I’ll do terribly, maybe I’ll do great.”

Trump’s remarks lower expectations over his presentation during next week’s forum under the Fox News banner. The first GOP debate of the 2016 race marks a major opportunity for attention amid one of the most crowded presidential fields in recent memory.

The number of Republican Oval Office bids grew to 17 on Wednesday, when former Virginia Gov. James Gilmore filed paperwork for his campaign next year....
    (blah blah blah)

....Trump, meanwhile, is expected to skip another GOP forum scheduled for next week. Reports emerged on Wednesday suggesting the real estate kingpin plans on missing the Voters First Presidential Forum in New Hampshire on Aug. 3. Trump declined participation in the event as he believes it “unlikely” The New Hampshire Union Leader is endorsing his candidacy.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...ons-for-debate
    Last edited by Valli6; 07-30-2015 at 02:29 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You mean snorting coke and yelling at your yes-men subordinates doesn't breed critical thinking skills?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    You mean snorting coke and yelling at your yes-men subordinates doesn't breed critical thinking skills?
    No stuttering, rookie, female reporters to pwn this time around. Do you blame him for lowering expectations? I would do the same if I was Trump

An extremely talented billionaire like Trump obviously has very good thinking skills. I don't think you could make yourself look more ridiculous even if you tried. What have you accomplished? Making some full-of-holes economic arguments on an internet forum?

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    No stuttering, rookie, female reporters to pwn this time around.
    I don't think I would describe those reporters that way, because they had Rand Paul all contrite, apologizing to them. And Rand is a smart guy, so I'd say those reporters are pretty good.

I suspect the problem he will have is finishing the answer to the questions put to him in the allotted time. When you cannot finish your thoughts and the first part of the conversation is not qualified with the second part, the media is going to have a field day with it.

We will then have a week of the media demanding Trump apologies with much time given to Trump for which he will fully provide the answers to these questions and in the process totally humiliate the media again.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Hire some killer debate surrogate stand-ins, Donald. Delegation is a needed and desirable leadership skill.

Quote Originally Posted by jj- View Post
    I don't think I would describe those reporters that way, because they had Rand Paul all contrite, apologizing to them. And Rand is a smart guy, so I'd say those reporters are pretty good.
    Yea, because we all know they both talked to the same reporter. Same persons, same network, same everything.

And for what Rand did, he was right in apologizing. WTF is with you guys and never apologizing? I don't get it, you say something wrong, you are supposed to man up, apologize and move on.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Yea, because we all know they both talked to the same reporter. Same persons, same network, same everything.

And for what Rand did, he was right in apologizing. WTF is with you guys and never apologizing? I don't get it, you say something wrong, you are supposed to man up, apologize and move on.
    Rand did not say or do anything wrong. Therefore there was no need for him to apologize which made him look weak. People saw that and were thinking he does not have what it takes and then Trump comes in to fill that void which was ripe for the taking.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

An extremely talented billionaire like Trump obviously has very good thinking skills. I don't think you could make yourself look more ridiculous even if you tried. What have you accomplished?
    Give me a 9-digit inheritance, unlimited access to Fedbucks, eminent domain, and loose bankruptcy laws, and I'll show you.

Jan2017

He will have some great lines prepared - where's he at now ?
    relaxing on the Italian Riviera or something, while others under fire at St. Anslem on Monday.

Trump I expect will do very well at the debate - he handles the crowds and mob the best of the GOP field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    He will have some great lines prepared - where's he at now ?
    "You're an idiot."

"I'm rich, really rich, really, trust me."

"Mexicans suck."

"We need a Canadian-style single-payer healthcare syste....eh, oops, nevermind."

Jan2017

"You're an idiot."

"Mexicans suck."

"We need a Canadian-style single-payer healthcare syste....eh, oops, nevermind."
    Well, use the Tim Russert moderated answer about gays, pro-choice on youtube -
    for his probable debate style, which might be more accurate.

It is not campaign fire like your misquotes, but maybe you be right -
    instead I expect his relaxed watching of St. Anslem forum will give him
    a huge advantage to see his competition in action on stage.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 07-30-2015 at 03:24 PM.

"Trump lowers expectations..." Snort.
    "The Patriarch"

How far can bluster take you? I expect we'll find out soon enough.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I second this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

"You're an idiot."

"Mexicans suck."

"I'm fully pro-choice! Oh $#@!, I meant pro-life! Or was it choice? Ooops."
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

An extremely talented billionaire like Trump obviously has very good thinking skills. I don't think you could make yourself look more ridiculous even if you tried. What have you accomplished? Making some full-of-holes economic arguments on an internet forum?
    I'm sure he hasn't filed for bankruptcy 4 times!
    Rand Paul for Peace

No, he's a tyrant... a shouter. He is so accustomed to money buying his way through the world, he doesn't have the sense to debate. Normally he hands people a few bucks, and they do what he says. This will be interesting.

His big issue is immigration and it sounds like he's not much different than the other Republicans. Other than "building a wall and making Mexico pay for it", he said he wants to send illegals back and expedite the good ones through the legal process. How is rounding up 11 million just to bring them back in supposed to help?
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    His big issue is immigration and it sounds like he's not much different than the other Republicans. Other than "building a wall and making Mexico pay for it", he said he wants to send illegals back and expedite the good ones through the legal process. How is rounding up 11 million just to bring them back in supposed to help?
    Becuz Murica

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Fighting corporate fascism is a step in the right direction.

Last edited by AuH20; 07-30-2015 at 05:50 PM.

How is it a step in the right direction though? The only difference I see between what Trump proposes and a "worker visa" is the unnecessary taxpayer cost of sending 11 million back.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

How is it a step in the right direction though? The only difference I see between what Trump proposes and a "worker visa" is the unnecessary taxpayer cost of sending 11 million back.
    A loud message must be sent to the Chamber of Commerce that they are not permitted to intentionally drive down wages and then dump their illegal workers onto the social welfare net once they're done with them. Someone has to draw a line. I have no problem with the illegal worker (or H1-B carrier) competing against an American worker and having the illegal prevail. But it's blatantly obvious that the entire comparative model has been skewed since companies are so adept at passing their costs to the taxpayer. We're not getting an accurate representation of true labor costs.
    Last edited by AuH20; 07-30-2015 at 06:13 PM.

Trump is a billionaire, he could pay for it with his own money. That or he would send them back home and make them pay for it.

Trump's strength, according to many, is that he's an outsider and a businessman. I think that's his weakness. Get him on the spot with details concerning government and how it works, and he'll look foolish.

Or maybe our guy is not so great in taking them down ?
    Last edited by timosman; 07-30-2015 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Clarity

How is rounding up 11 million just to bring them back in supposed to help?
    If you round up 11 million and get less than that, it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomProsperityPeace View Post
    Trump's strength, according to many, is that he's an outsider and a businessman. I think that's his weakness. Get him on the spot with details concerning government and how it works, and he'll look foolish.
    It depends on how he dances around the question. If he is skillful, he can go on attack mode and look good.

What you have to remember is the average voter thinks at a 7th grade level. If Trump doesn't make the mistake of speaking at a higher level, like 9th grade, I think that won't be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast