Thread: What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke

Exclamation What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke

H/T: larsonstdoc

What Happens One Hour After Drinking A Can Of Coke

Something that I noticed when working as a pharmacist was why people would still gain weight even though they were following a strict low fat diet recommended to them by their doctor.

This made me question whether it is really the ‘fat’ that causes us to gain unhealthy weight.

After seeing so many people suffering from obesity related diseases like heart disease, diabetes and the side effects of the medication they were taking, I was strongly motivated to research what actually causes people to become obese, it clearly was not just the fat they were eating!

I actually discovered that a trigger factor for many widespread diseases of the west such as obesity, heart disease and diabetes could be closely linked to the consumption of one particular substance found in many processed foods and drinks – fructose in the form of high fructose corn syrup.

Fructose is the form of high fructose corn syrup is found in pretty much all processed foods such as ready meals, fast foods, sweets and fizzy drinks and most people are totally unaware of its danger.

It is also often found in ‘low fat’ supposedly healthy alternatives and even many popular weight loss products because food with the fat taken out simply tastes horrible. High fructose corn syrup in combination with many other additives are usually added to enhance the flavor.

Glucose is the type of sugar our body loves. It gets metabolized by every cell in our body and is very easy to burn with very few toxic by-products. It also tells the brain to stop eating when you are full.

Fructose on the other hand is another type of sugar and is found in sucrose which breaks down to glucose and fructose.

Fructose is actually only metabolized by the liver and it’s very similar to ethanol (the alcohol in drinks). When you consume it, it’s actually like ethanol but without the high. It confuses the liver and ends up making lots of bad fats in the process. It also doesn’t signal your brain that you are full. This is why people can drink massive cups of fizzy drinks which are high in fructose and still eat huge meals containing refined foods that are also full of fructose.

Many fruits also contain fructose, but nature has provided the antidote, as these fruits are also packed with fibre which prevents your body from absorbing too much of it.

When I advised people to reduce their consumption of high fructose corn syrup by eating lower carb/higher protein diets free from processed foods, even if they say they are healthy options, they started to lose weight and feel much better as a result.

In many cases I asked people to just stop their consumption of fizzy drinks like Coca Cola and instead swap it with either plain water, or add some freshly squeezed lemon for flavor.

Continued...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Fructose is also the naturally occurring sugar found in fresh fruits which are healthy for you.

Sucrose is table sugar. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/diff...tose-8704.html

All things in moderation. Consuming too much of almost anything can be bad for you. Drinking soda isn't necessarily harmful but drinking too much of it can certainly be.

Americans consume an average of 44 gallons a year of the stuff (but that is actually down from 58 gallons a year in 1998). http://www.thewire.com/national/2013...da-year/62977/
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-30-2015 at 11:04 AM.

I switched from about 10 years of the artificial sweeteners back to the heavy stuff about 4 months ago. It took a few weeks, but now consumption is about 1/3 of what I was doing with the diet drinks. I get that fruity aftertaste in the back of my throat and that's when I put a quart of water in between.

Well, most usually I burp a couple of times and then sometime later I need to pee.

Doesn't happen to me, I don't drink soda...........

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Well, most usually I burp a couple of times and then sometime later I need to pee.
    Better be careful of bone fractures and strokes/heart attacks from fizzy drinks.

Soda consumption increases overall stroke risk

11 Reasons Never To Drink Soda Again

Magnesium Deficiency & Soda

Diet soda depletes calcium and may increase heart attack risk
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

First doesn't say how much the risk increased or how many sodas you need to consume a day to increase your risk. It also notes that caffine was found to reduce the risk of stroke so while the sugar may increase the risk for some, the caffine in the same beverage could lower the risk. 1.1 times would be a higher risk but not a significantly higher risk.

Link to different article covering same study. http://www.livescience.com/36272-sod...roke-risk.html

In the study, men and women who consumed one or more sugar-sweetened sodas per day were 16 percent more likely to have a stroke over a 20- to 30-year period, compared with those who drank no soda.
    What was the overall risk?
    This increased risk of death due to stroke appeared to be higher in women than in men, Bernstein said. In women, drinking soda accounted for an extra 24 deaths per 100,000 people per year, whereas in men, drinking soda accounted for 14 extra deaths per 100,000 people per year.
    Fourteen per 100,000 is not a huge risk.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 07-30-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Fructose is also the naturally occurring sugar found in fresh fruits which are healthy for you.

Sucrose is table sugar. http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/diff...tose-8704.html

All things in moderation. Consuming too much of almost anything can be bad for you. Drinking soda isn't necessarily harmful but drinking too much of it can certainly be.

Americans consume an average of 44 gallons a year of the stuff (but that is actually down from 58 gallons a year in 1998). http://www.thewire.com/national/2013...da-year/62977/
    Anyone who thinks soda is not unhealthy because both it and fruit have fructose is, plain and simple, an idiot.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends on how much of it you consume.

where does plain old soda water fit in this puzzle? And tonic water? Tonic water is my "go to" for night time leg cramps.. you know, the kind that you get when you wore different shoes for the day - the cramp wakes you up and throws you off the bed in a whimpering pile of sleepy goo - tonic water makes those cramps let go in around 10 minutes, on an empty stomach. quinine is the bomb
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Once in a blue moon I drink a soda--very rarely though. I usually like root beer or ginger ale when I do drink one. The stuff I stay away from is anything that's got artificial sweeteners in it--mainly aspartame.

The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    where does plain old soda water fit in this puzzle? And tonic water? Tonic water is my "go to" for night time leg cramps.. you know, the kind that you get when you wore different shoes for the day - the cramp wakes you up and throws you off the bed in a whimpering pile of sleepy goo - tonic water makes those cramps let go in around 10 minutes, on an empty stomach. quinine is the bomb

I know I sound like a broken record but Organic raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar helps to stop the cramps too. I love ACV!

Apple Cider Vinegar

Being high in potassium, raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar helps relieve muscle cramps. Low potassium is one of the common causes of frequent muscle cramps. Plus, there are several nutrients in apple cider vinegar that help control the fluid balance in the body, thus preventing dehydration.

Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Drink this tonic once daily to prevent muscle cramps.
    To prevent nocturnal leg cramps, you can mix one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and honey and one tablespoon of calcium lactate in one-half glass of warm water. Drink this solution daily at night, about half an hour before going to bed.
    Source

They are both just carbonated water without sugars. Difference is that tonic water adds quinine to it.

I wish ACV was in my wheel house for a desired flavor. Out of the range of flavors; sweet, sour, salty, bitter, savory, astringent and pungent, Sour is the one that I never, ever crave. My husband (and his family) can pretty much drink vinegar (pickle juice is a beverage to some of them) but I just can't handle it.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wish ACV was in my wheel house for a desired flavor. Out of the range of flavors; sweet, sour, salty, bitter, savory, astringent and pungent, Sour is the one that I never, ever crave. My husband (and his family) can pretty much drink vinegar (pickle juice is a beverage to some of them) but I just can't handle it.
    ACV with honey and lemon is like a tart lemonade.

yeah.. tart = sour in my book. I've tried ACV diluted.. for me it just ruins good water.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    This right here deserves my +Rep.

$#@! cake, let them drink PBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Revealed: How a can of DIET Coke makes your body store fat, rots teeth and affects you in the same way as cocaine within ONE HOUR

By Anucyia Victor for MailOnline

Published: 05:07 EST, 4 August 2015

A UK pharmacist has shocked fizzy drink fans by releasing a step-by-step guide to the dramatic way a can of Diet Coke affects the body from 10 minutes after the first sip until an hour later.

Niraj Naik, who runs The Renegade Pharmacist blog, has created an eye-opening infographic that exposes how the sugar-free drink can wreak havoc on everything from your teeth to your waistline.

The blog post comes a week after his last infographic - about the physical impact of swigging a can of Coca-Cola - swept the internet.

Continued...
    Last edited by donnay; 08-04-2015 at 08:12 AM.