Thread: Thomas Massie cosponsors Mark Meadows' resolution to replace Speaker of the House

Thomas Massie cosponsors Mark Meadows' resolution to replace Speaker of the House

Text of resolution:

H. RES. 385

RESOLUTION

Declaring the office of Speaker of the House of Representatives vacant.

Whereas the Speaker of the House of Representatives for the 114th Congress has endeavored to consolidate power and centralize decision making, bypassing the majority of the 435 Members of Congress and the people they represent;

Whereas the Speaker has, through inaction, caused the power of Congress to atrophy, thereby making Congress subservient to the executive and judicial branches, diminishing the voice of the American people;

Whereas the Speaker uses the power of the office to punish Members who vote according to their conscience instead of the will of the Speaker;

Whereas the Speaker has intentionally provided for voice votes on consequential and controversial legislation to be taken without notice and with few Members present;

Whereas the Speaker uses the legislative calendar to create crises for the American people, in order to compel Members to vote for legislation;

Whereas the Speaker does not comply with the spirit of the rules of the House of Representatives, which provide that Members shall have three days to review legislation before voting;

Whereas the Speaker continues to direct the Rules Committee to limit meaningful amendments, to limit debate on the House floor, and to subvert a straightforward legislative process; and

Whereas the House of Representatives, to function effectively in the service of all citizens of this country, requires the service of a Speaker who will endeavor to follow an orderly and inclusive process without imposing his or her will upon any Member thereof: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the office of Speaker of the House of Representatives is hereby declared to be vacant.
    https://www.facebook.com/RepThomasMa...45823435441820

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

It's not often I get to be proud of my North Carolina delegation, but I am today.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    It's not often I get to be proud of my North Carolina delegation, but I am today.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Yeah, me too !! Richard Burr, next.

Excellent!
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Thank you Thomas.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Again, is this just gesturing, because the committee that could take this could just ignore it, right?

Walter Jones and Ted Yoho have signed on as cosponsors as well.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...385/cosponsors

I am very curious to see how this plays out. Boehner seems to have a lot of friends. I wonder how much "dirt" he has on the rest... enough to put the kibosh on this? Let us hope not. It would be nice to see that den of vipers swept out just a little bit.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Again, is this just gesturing, because the committee that could take this could just ignore it, right?
    Coming from anyone other than Massie I'd say you were right. "Will anything come of it?" would be a fairer question, but "gesturing"? I believe Massie is sincere about wanting to see this through.

The problem with Boehner is that he's kicked enough people off of committees that soon he's gonna need a whole new Congress to find replacements. Has he kicked off enough people yet that Massie can forge a rebellion from the outcasts? —that is the question.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 08-04-2015 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Coming from anyone other than Massie I'd say you were right. "Will anything come of it?" would be a fairer question, but "gesturing"? I believe Massie is sincere about wanting to see this through.

The problem with Boehner is that he's kicked enough people off of committees that soon he's gonna need a whole new Congress to find replacements. Has he kicked off enough people yet that Massie can forge a rebellion from the outcasts? —that is the question.
    I just wonder what the point of this is since they have to know that they don't have the numbers to dump Boehner, if the last few Speaker votes are any indication. Sure they may have come close, but close isn't the same as dethroning Boehner, and it's no secret that Massie isn't a fan of Boehner, so not like we as viewers didn't already know that he wants him gone, so I don't see this as symbolic of anything that we don't already know.

h/t Lew Rockwell @ Political Theatre: https://www.lewrockwell.com/politica...er-in-trouble/

[also posted to this thread: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...o-oust-Boehner]

Boehner Embarrassed: His Whip Team Couldn’t Find Votes to Reelect Him Speaker Last Week
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ker-last-week/
    Matthew Boyle (02 August 2015)

House Speaker Rep. John Boehner (R-OH) had been planning to call up on the House floor last week a measure from Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) that would have removed him as Speaker of the House if it succeeded—intending to embarrass Meadows—but abandoned the plan after his entire leadership structure learned that they did not have the votes to re-elect him as Speaker before the August recess.

“[House Majority Leader Kevin] McCarthy was making phone calls—he was whipping it—and so was [House Majority Whip] Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA),” a senior conservative movement leader who’s had many personal and direct discussions with various House GOP members about this told Breitbart News in an interview last week.

“I know members personally who were called by Steve Scalise. So they had the entire leadership whip team frantically making phone calls to members to whip the vote because they wanted to attempt to embarrass Meadows and call the vote [on Wednesday last week] so it’s not hanging over Boehner’s head.

“What they found out was the exact opposite. They found out bad things would happen, that literally they would be calling the vote without knowing what would happen. Therefore, they did not call the vote and now they have this issue hanging over John Boehner’s head for the next five weeks.”

“Yes, I can confirm at least three members were whipped: Two of whom voted against the Speaker and one of whom voted for the Speaker on Jan. 6,” Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY), one of the cosponsors of Meadows’ measure, told Breitbart News in a phone interview. “I can confirm three of them were whipped.”

[...]

The strategy from Meadows and his allies goes something like this: They offered the resolution right before the August recess and knew that there is enough dissatisfaction with Boehner that should he try to bring it to the floor immediately–to shut it down as fast as it came up–he’d walk away without his speakership.

There are 25 members who voted for a Republican alternative at the beginning of this Congress, and now there are plenty more who are disaffected with the tactics of Boehner and his allies in leadership. More members, those who want to replace Boehner suspect, will, over the course of the month of August, come out publicly against Boehner at town hall events and in interviews with media. Unless Democrats bail Boehner out in September or October, if and when such a vote for the speakership would occur, by that point there would be enough members opposed to Boehner’s re-election for him to lose his position.

When the August recess is over, if Meadows wants to—or any other member wants to—they could offer the motion to vacate the chair and remove Boehner as Speaker of the House as a privileged resolution, which means it gets a floor vote in full without the consent of Boehner’s leadership team. That means the Speaker is extraordinarily vulnerable, and his conservative opposition could make a move whenever, wherever they want to—and when they have the votes to remove him from office.

[... full article at link: http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ker-last-week/ ...]
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

This is getting good...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

Boehner Embarrassed: His Whip Team Couldn’t Find Votes to Reelect Him Speaker Last Week
    Yeah, Mr.NoSmile doesn't get it. This is a serious resolution, incumbents to either sign, or stand with Boehner. Boehner may end up being forced to court Democrat votes to retain his speakership, which would do huge damage to his image.

Boehner wanted to call it up for a vote early, and squash his opponents. Figured out he would probably lose lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Yeah, Mr.NoSmile doesn't get it. This is a serious resolution, incumbents to either sign, or stand with Boehner. Boehner may end up being forced to court Democrat votes to retain his speakership, which would do huge damage to his image.
    Image. Funny. More than he already has by them saving him before? And let's not forget that Republicans also said last time they'd vote against Boehner, but ended up voting for him anyway after switching votes, so who's to say that these dissatisfied Republicans actually would have gone on record and voted against him when some changed their minds last time?

Boehner managed to be re-elected Speaker of the House by a margin of 216-164 over Nancy Pelosi with 24 Republicans voting for other candidates and freshman Brian Babin of Texas voting present. The key to the Speaker’s success may have been that 13 New York Democrats were out of town on the same day as the funeral of Cuomo, the former three-term governor of New York who died on New Year’s Day.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ican-coup.html

Success!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.