Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida boys lost at sea

Florida boys lost at sea

oops...wrong story...however, those 2 off Florida were found .....looking for story...
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 07-29-2015 at 01:11 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I thought this was the Florida boys

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    2010?
    my bad...in my haste i posted wrong story.

Maybe it was these two you were thinking of?

http://http://www.nbcnews.com/id/770...r-days-adrift/
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Paulatized View Post
    Maybe it was these two you were thinking of?

http://http://www.nbcnews.com/id/770...r-days-adrift/
    saw the story on Facebook...NBC reporting.

picture of one on a gurney..

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    oops...wrong story...however, those 2 off Florida were found .....looking for story...
    Is this the story?

Hopes fade for missing teens: Police reveal boys strayed off-route on fishing trip and admit time is running out as search continues - despite reports it had been suspended

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3hK8bQedp

*SIGH*
    Last edited by donnay; 07-29-2015 at 04:53 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hate to be Debbie Downer, but no way in hell I would allow my 14 year old to take off in a boat out to sea. What were these parents thinking?

Not found anything on this JK. I think you were led astray. It's a shame. I had hoped that they had been found.

Searches were suspended last night, and Coast Guard called it quits early this morning. My theory is they were injured and drowned almost immediately... otherwise if they were such trained seamen or seakids, they would have stayed with their capsized boat; affording them greater opportunity of being discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I hate to be Debbie Downer, but no way in hell I would allow my 14 year old to take off in a boat out to sea. What were these parents thinking?
    Who could possibly have foreseen that letting two 14-year old boys take a tiny boat hundreds of miles off-shore could have ended badly?

The boys' families, who held a vigil for them on Tuesday, say they are sea-hardy and experienced sailors
    They are a couple of spindly little boys, not "experienced sailors."

The parents are idiots.

"The families pledged a $100,000 reward in the search"

Hopefully, once the bodies, er, I mean the boys, are found, the family will give that money to the Coast Guard to refund some of the tax money being spent trying to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post
    Who could possibly have foreseen that letting two 14-year old boys take a tiny boat hundreds of miles off-shore could have ended badly?

The parents are idiots.

"The families pledged a $100,000 reward in the search"

Hopefully, once the bodies, er, I mean the boys, are found, the family will give that money to the Coast Guard to refund some of the tax money being spent trying to find them.
    I'm with you on this. I thought I was going to get blasted off this forum with my comments. At least I'm not the only one here who thinks "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson" when allowing two 14 year olds to go out to sea in a small boat. Definitely parental neglect in my view. I view the parents as party animals, glad to get rid of their kids for a few days; now justifying it with statements of their vast experience as sailors lmao ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Me either.

Actually I'm astonished charges are not forthcoming in this case. We've seen people arrested lately for allowing their children to walk 1/2 mile to the neighborhood park have this kids taken away... A lady a couple of weeks ago was arrested for allowing her children to eat at McDonald's alone while she applied for a job 30 feet away, with her eyes on the children, the entire time.

Here parents allow two young kids to take to the high seas in a little boat? WTF? Because they have 100k to spend in reward money (although really paid for by Joe Namath, their neighbor), they are elites who law enforcement will allow to slide.

Sure, kids go out in the ocean and play in the storm.

Some folks should just never be parents.

Like those, oh I just forgot my baby was in the back seat.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 07-30-2015 at 07:21 AM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post

The parents are idiots.
    Well do you know for sure ?

We had this girl here solo-circomnavigate the world when she was 15..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Dekker

Age and ability/experience aren't necessarily linked.
    "I am a bird"

dammit...yep..led astray by a 'friend' on FB...a US Marine veteran....oh well...he's more than likely bummed out as well for being led astray...

not looking good for those 2 boys...

thoughts and prayers for their family...sorry for the thread...

all of you chastising the parents 'may' have an argument, but dammit...dammit..as someone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest with the Puget Sound, hundreds of lakes, and large river systems, and me being a 'typical' male, it really is a minor miracle that i survived to the ripe old age of 63. My parents were watchful of me, but you can't tie your kid down especially if they have proven their experience with swimming ability, and a good working knowledge of boats, weather, and wind....$#@! happens. Life is short. I see myself in those 2 boys...a damn shame....$#@!.

I had my own boat, and routinely went offshore in it, at 14 years old.

So did my dad.

So did his dad.

Boys learn to sail and navigate and yes, become seamen at an early age.

The parents were not "idiots".

If anything, they were flying in the face of the current Zeitgeist of "hyper nannyism" and "helicopter parenting" that has turned a whole generation of young boys into simpering, neurotic, prescription drug addled, pansies.

With freedom comes risk.

''WITH FREEDOM COMES RISK''

damn straight.

Joe Namath helps in search of two missing Florida teens

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

July 27, 2015 5:05 pm ET

Former Jets legend and NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath's involved in helping to find two missing young boys out of Jupiter, Fla.

Namath is neighbors with the families and is helping take part in the search for Perry Cohen and Austin Stephanos, per WPTV.

"We just keep on praying, man," Namath said. "It's hard, it's so hard, but we've got to believe in their wherewithal."

The two young men were last seen on Friday purchasing supplies, possibly for what could have been a trip to the Bahamas. They were seen in a 19-foot boot, which was later found overturned in the water.

The parents of the two boys are offering a $100,000 reward to anyone who helps find them.

"They know the waters. They've been through rough water, they've been through thin water," Nick Korniloff, Perry's stepfather, said. "Those are salty dog kids, and they know what they're doing out there."

Source

*Note* I met Joe Namath 20 years ago. He is a really nice man and quite a gentlemen. My friends parents live next door to him on Jupiter Island--if those boys got out of the Jupiter Inlet then they are in fact very skilled --just sayin'. I pray they are still alive--in spite of it all.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I had my own boat, and routinely went offshore in it, at 14 years old.

So did my dad.

So did his dad.

Boys learn to sail and navigate and yes, become seamen at an early age.

The parents were not "idiots".

If anything, they were flying in the face of the current Zeitgeist of "hyper nannyism" and "helicopter parenting" that has turned a whole generation of young boys into simpering, neurotic, prescription drug addled, pansies.

With freedom comes risk.
    It amazes when one looks at the history of the human race how young adulthood has been pushed back beyond the age of 21. There was a time 14 would have made a right and proper "man."

$#@! a whole lot of people who think the parents did wrong by "letting their kids take a boat into the ocean."

I had my own hobie cat sailboat when I was 12, my brother had his own too. We lived ocean front and sailed regularly with no parental supervision. Sure something bad could have happened, but the risk was well worth the lessons and responsibility we learned at a young age.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    all of you chastising the parents 'may' have an argument, but dammit...dammit..as someone who grew up in the Pacific Northwest with the Puget Sound, hundreds of lakes, and large river systems, and me being a 'typical' male, it really is a minor miracle that i survived to the ripe old age of 63. My parents were watchful of me, but you can't tie your kid down especially if they have proven their experience with swimming ability, and a good working knowledge of boats, weather, and wind....$#@! happens. Life is short. I see myself in those 2 boys...a damn shame....$#@!.

Spot on. These kids knew what they were doing. It sounds like they had the necessary skills and maturity.

What many people fail to recognize is that from a statistical standpoint, these kids were safer going boating than if they had been riding their bikes near heavy traffic. Probably safer than a lot of other popular pastimes like motor bikes, four wheelers and the like.

Sometimes things just.... happen, dammit....

May their souls find peace.

Sorry..call me a nanny but I wouldn't risk my 14 year old's life in a 19 ft boat on the open sea. Not just the issues with the ocean itself but there are real pirates out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Sorry..call me a nanny but I wouldn't risk my 14 year old's life in a 19 ft boat on the open sea. Not just the issues with the ocean itself but there are real pirates out there.
    thank God for video games.

thank God for video games.
    I'm not saying keep them home bound..but as someone who lost a 12 yr old sibling, I know what losing a child does to a family and an ocean voyage in a 19 ft boat is just asking for something bad to happen and it looks like it may have.

I've been going to sea for a living all my life.

Outside of the east coast of Africa or the Straits of Malacca, you have a better chance of seeing God, before seeing pirates.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 07-30-2015 at 01:25 PM.

I'm not saying keep them home bound..but as someone who lost a 12 yr old sibling, I know what losing a child does to a family and an ocean voyage in a 19 ft boat is just asking for something bad to happen and it looks like it may have.
    That's just it, it's not.

Statistically speaking, much safer than any number of more conventional boy's recreational activities such as biking, skateboarding, surfing or skiing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast