Thread: Education Week OpEd: Homeschoolers unfit for school boards

Education Week OpEd: Homeschoolers unfit for school boards

Who Should Chair a Public-School Board?

It's impossible to know beforehand who will be an effective leader of a board of education. The qualities that make for success in one district do not necessarily make for success in another. But I think it's reasonable to demand relevant experience.
    Yes, so do I.

From the American Association of School Administrators, the first four items on their list of major budget categories:

• Transportation ‐ buses and drivers to transport students
    • Facilities – to ensure students attend schools that are clean and well maintained
    • Energy ‐ the school is lit during the day, heated in the winter and cooled in the summer
    • Health and Safety ‐ the school nurse cares for the ill student, and security measures keep staff and students safe

From the AASA report "School Budgets 101", twice as much money goes to operations as goes to administration on average. So why is it that individuals with Masters and Doctorates in Education are the only ones "experienced"? Seems to me that someone with a Facilities Management degree and who has ran any kind of industrial facility would be more qualified given the current framework of the American education structure.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes, people who know how to educate children are obviously unfit for boards of education.

An advertising exec from Madison Ave. is probably the only one who has enough experience with propaganda for the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Why would a homeschooler want to be on a school board?

Homeschool is nothing like public school. Different philosophies and different goals. Homeschoolers want the absolute best educational experience personally tailored to their child. Public school admins want absolute mediocrity and don't want anyone to rock the boat.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Why would a homeschooler want to be on a school board?
    To each their own. Since it's usually the educrats that go after HSrs, maybe there is some value to being in the leadership structure.

XNN
    "They sell us the president the same way they sell us our clothes and our cars. They sell us every thing from youth to religion the same time they sell us our wars. I want to know who the men in the shadows are. I want to hear somebody asking them why. They can be counted on to tell us who our enemies are but theyre never the ones to fight or to die." - Jackson Browne Lives In The Balance