Thread: Rand Paul tells veterans why America should avoid wars in the Middle East

Rand Paul tells veterans why America should avoid wars in the Middle East

Rand Paul tells veterans why America should avoid wars in the Middle East

By David Weigel
    July 28 at 1:02 PM

MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. – “Anybody read about the Middle East?” asked Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) to a Shriner’s hall packed with war veterans. “They’ve been killing each other for a thousand years and they’ll probably be killing each other for another thousand years. That doesn’t mean we just retreat, and do nothing. That means we need to acknowledge what the Middle East is like before we get involved.”

On Monday, Paul made a brief trip to this veteran-rich coast city to reiterate his subtly non-interventionist foreign policy. He did that at a forum hosted by Concerned Veterans of America, a group funded by the Koch network to mobilize conservatives on VA reform and related issues. Organizers said that it would be up to Paul whether he wanted to talk about those issues, or about the world at war. After sharing a few stories of heroic veterans, including one who had lost both legs in Afghanistan. Paul launched right into the positions that have set him apart from the Republican field.

“I’ve seen up close – secondhand, but up close – the effects of war,” said Paul. “I don’t see war as a chess game. I don’t see war as a game of Risk, where you put some troops here, you put some troops there… or oh, we’ll topple this government replace it with American-style democracy.”

read more:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...e-middle-east/
    Last edited by jct74; 08-04-2015 at 08:35 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I like the message. We will see how good it does. Really enjoyed this particular speech.

This is what I want to hear. Bang the drum MF.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Quote Originally Posted by Chieppa1 View Post
    This is what I want to hear. Bang the drum MF.
    BTW Is that Randy McKay in your avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    BTW Is that Randy McKay in your avatar?
    Yes it is.
    The Voluntary Exchange Podcast

Twitter

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain"

"I want to be President, not because I want to run your lives. I don't want to run the economy, and I don't want to run the world. I want to be President to restore liberty."

"The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft"

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents."

Paul’s solution, naturally, was in tighter military spending. Less waste (“you can’t walk around the Pentagon without tripping over a general”)...
    LOL, and very true

There are a number of whole military bases (esp. in Europe) which no longer support any units or missions, but just warehouse surplus Cold Wa-era brass.

this is the kind of speech he should be giving all the time; he is more comfortable as it what he believes. time to end the pandering.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    this is the kind of speech he should be giving all the time; he is more comfortable as it what he believes. time to end the pandering.
    Amen his gambit on PP is getting unnerving, that woman swinging the baby over the ledge in the background of the Wolf Blitzer interview had me grinding my teeth. The whole prohibition by force of FBI and US troops oneupmanship by michuckabee has me laughing though.

Everyone here who thinks that Rand's foreign policy is no different from the other Republicans in the race should listen to Rand's speech at this event.

It seems rand is trying to balance foreign policy. On one hand he kinda supports sanctions. On the other hand he seems to want to end foreign aid to most countries and to reduce or make our military more efficient.

Seems like a good idea to have a half-half policy. Agree to have 1 bad policy implemented in exchange for 1 good policy being implemented. Not perfect or great.. but better than hillary or bush making all bad policy.

Kinda like how rand or ron always try to stick amendments into a bad bill or policy to make it slightly better.
    Last edited by alucard13mm; 08-02-2015 at 09:28 PM.

I think the establishment is way more worried than they say about Rand. I think it is why the media keeps Trump in the spotlight. Go Rand ya'll don't give up on him. Out where I live there are a lot of Rand signs in the yards.

I cant forget this moment from the 2012 caucusses... still getting moved when watching it. I really hope we will have similar moments in the 2016 caucusses (respectively conventions):

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    This is one of the best Middle East foreign policy videos I have ever seen and should be put in front of as many eyes as possible.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    This is one of the best Middle East foreign policy videos I have ever seen and should be put in front of as many eyes as possible.
    I agree. I just finished watching it. This is one to share.
    the rEVOLution begins!

You may just be preaching to the choir there, Rand.